Removing dimples on remington 870 magazine tube.

Where did you hear that, Scattergun Bob? I just recently posted a thread about my new Wingmaster having the dimpled tube with the plastic retainer. I called Remington and was told that all new Wingmasters are going to come that way. I didn't ask about the Express, but I would imagine it would be the same.

I suppose I should ask, does having the dimpled tube somehow limit my barrel choices?

I don't understand why Remington even bothers with the dimples. I know they're there as a preventative measure from installing a magazine tube extension, but if its that easy to remove the dimples then why bother? :confused:

The dimples are there to protect you from yourself! Anyone who needs more than 4 rounds in a shotgun MUST be some kind of psychopath!:rolleyes: I am so glad I got into the 870 game before the dimples were dreamed up. Be careful with the socket deal, I have heard of several people ending up with the socket really really stuck inside the tube and damaging the tube trying to hold it while driving the socket out. I think I would just grind the dimples off. I also wouldn't worry too much about the finish inside the tube, the spring and the rims will grind most of that off over time anyway.

Last edited:
sorry to bump a really old thread but I need some help.

I tired this method and the 16mm just fell inside and the 17mm seemed about right so I tried that and now it seems stuck. I am afraid to use to much force and never be able to get it out.

Different brands and styles of sockets have different outside diameters. I do know one of the Kobalt sockets from Lowes will work perfectly, and my deep well Craftsman thinwall set has one that works also. Measure twice, buy once. I didn't make a note of the details when I did it because all of my shotguns wear a plug - except the SxSs.
Read the whole thread. Instructions on how to get it out are above. I also found putting the extension bar and ratchet on the socket and spinning it in the tube helps. If it isn't tight it won't work. You have to swage it out to the tube diameter.

So I called up Remington. They will put a new no dimple tube in the gun for about $80.00 that is worth it to me. The gun has sentimental value to it. (it the first gun I ever bought my self). The "tool" I see for sale to push out the dimples is about the same price as a new tube.

I've got an old piece of construction dowel (mild steel) that is about 8 inches long and stepped in two diameters. The first diameter knocks the dents out enough for the second, which has to be driven in and is tight enough to tap raise the dents with a little ball peen hammer. Even at that, I still like to use a fine sanding drum to remove all traces of them.

Back