Removing dimples on remington 870 magazine tube.

Super-Dave

I just got a new remington 870 turkey express.

I wanted to install a magazine tube extension.

I tried the socket method and it work with a 16mm socket.

You should oil up the tube and socket well and remove the shell follower.

Insert the socket that fits in the tube but does not pass by the dimples. Slightly hammer it in. as it pops out the dimples ,it gets stuck and you cannot remove it. (This is Good it means the dimples are pushed out.)

Take all the other sockets in you socket set smaller than the on you used and load them in the magazine tube like they were shells. Take a hammer and a screw driver and tap the exposed sockets inside the reciever. The stuck socket will shoot out the magazine tube. Dump all the other sockets out of the tube and you are good to go.

NO drill, No drimel tool no bluing or parkerizing rubbed off.

It worked great for me. Give it a try.

Last edited:
Good going, Super-Dave! I like simple solutions.

One point to ponder, different socket sets have different wall thicknesses -- your 17mm may not work as well as Super-Dave's.

Just keep trying different ones untill you find the perfect fit.

Try them very gently and make sure you tap it with your hammer gently.

xm21
Perhaps you need a socket exactly like Super-Dave's.

Super-Dave

Can you be micrometer-man on the OD of your famous 17mm, and post the dimension.

I tried 3 different styles of Craftsman sockets 17mm was too big 16mm was too small. I also tried inch based sizes. Let us know what brand of socket you used. I have some other assorted brands of loose pieces and one of those may work.

Thanks!

I used the stanley sockets they sell all walmart.

it is like $18.00 for a pack of stanley metric sockets

I think I was wrong on my first post I think it was the 16mm stanley socket.

I did it!!

Well I got the dimples out using the socket method and finishing with the Drimmel tool. Smooth as a Baby's But, and it didn't break through (NO HOLES). Does anybody know how to cover the now exposed metal inside the magazine tube due to the drimmel work? I'm just worried about rust. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please let me know, Thanks

Dave I think you are right it looks like a 16MM from my husky set is just about perfect. Good job on the work around.

XM21- I would try a different brand of socket ODs will be different, you are correct any dimple on the inside is a BAD THING:eek: must be baby butt smooth for the follower to run properly!

davidsldennis - Cold blue with q-tips to cover the shinny parts if you must.

CLP or a thin coat of grease should do the trick. Cold blue isn't much of a corrosion protectant - cold blue in and of itself is a type of controlled corrosion.

PLEASE do not use grease or oil on the inside of your mag tube:eek: Grease works like a gasket and will stop up the spring/follower.

:D
Cold blue isn't much of a corrosion protectant - cold blue in and of itself is a type of controlled corrosion.
Today 10:58 AM
:D

I may be confused :confused: but I thought that was what the blue and brown process on metal in the white was for?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but, why are there no dimples on my 870 Express Magnum?:confused:
I keep reading about these dimples and wondering how I got so lucky as to not have them on my 870.(WOOHOO!!):D

Cold blue isn't much of a corrosion protectant - cold blue in and of itself is a type of controlled corrosion.
Cold blue is probably generally less of a protectant than hot blue, but both are typically types of controlled corrosion. I say "typically" because some forms of cold blue (like Blue Wonder) may work differently.

Remington, Thanks to folks complaining and the craziness of having two separate barrel and magazine lines have SEEN THE LIGHT and dropped the infernal plastic retainer for the original detent and nut. Once in a while reality prevails!

Good Luck & Be Safe

Back