Remmie ammo fails

stagpanther

during our hunting season up here in Maine I've been reading about a very large number of Remington ammo fails, seems like an epidemic. Is this being seen in other hunting areas of the country as well?

I have been seeing online and in person a number of failures with 200gr Core-Lokt .35 Rem in particular...

Posts here and MarlinOwners.com come to mind...

I have what's left of a box that I witnessed fail in not one, but two guns...5 FTF with multiple strikes...I then tried the 5 in my 336RC, and I could only get 2 to fire...

If I am reading the impressed lot code on the end flap correctly, it is:

J21 KAI

Found the latest one I remember:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/35-remington/277362-remington-core-lokt.html

My story with more detail is on page 3...

I havnt experienced any fails yet but I certainly got a 308 in a box of 243. I know the box wasn't messed with in the store because remington purposely seals each end.

No troll--I've read of dozens of FTF's (they're called duds up here) in the past month up here on the Maine Deer Hunter's FB page alone--almost all core lokts. I'm wondering if this is being seen elsewhere, or is this just something peculiar to Maine.

That would be a bad thing to hear a click with game in your sights.
The last core-lokt I used was in 2010 I think, but that's when I switched calibers for pig.

I bought a box of remington HTP 158 grain 357mag last week and 2 shells have the bullets seated noticeably deeper than the others. :rolleyes: i wont be firing those 2.

I have had lots of issues with Rem .22 cal ammo. I have about 1000 rounds I couldn't sell so I left it on the range counter and most of it's still there. The rest I have had no problems with.

I dont normally buy Remington ammo. This past year, I came across Remington small pistol primers on sale for $20/1000. Bought 10,000. :rolleyes:

Im almost done running through them, but every week, Ive had 2-4 duds out of 300 rounds shot.

What type of failure. Failure to fire? I find that most of the time when someone fires at an animal and does not recover the animal, or if it runs farther than they think it should, they often blame the ammo. The real problem can usually be traced back to one of 2 things. They either made a poor shot, or they were using ammo for a purpose it wasn't designed for.

Sounds like most of the issues here were "fail to fire". Since I have been having the same problem with their primers, it seems to me, that might be the issue.

What type of failure. Failure to fire? I find that most of the time when someone fires at an animal and does not recover the animal, or if it runs farther than they think it should, they often blame the ammo. The real problem can usually be traced back to one of 2 things. They either made a poor shot, or they were using ammo for a purpose it wasn't designed for.
Could be--(core lokt is often a "traditional and affordable get the job done" ammo of choice for budget minded hunters) but this comes up frequently enough on a hunting forum from hunters spread out across the state. Since I haven't seen any mention of other manufacturer's ammo having similar issues I just assume it's a remmie issue. My purpose in posting this thread was to see if other hunters in other parts of the country were seeing similar unusual amount of fails. Since this post has been up a while and there have not been that many responses, it appears maybe not--so go ahead and lock or delete this thread.

Don't know if this relates to current alleged problems but back in the late 1980s or early 1990s a range where I frequented had problems. The range bosses measured primer depths on a particular lot of ammo and the primers were all seated too deep, resulting in sporadic ignition.

I decided to ditch remmie ammo (no, I do not have a vendetta against them) after a large number of their brass from a box of pistol ammo I used for reloading showed critical weakness in the mid-case area above the head after just one firing and resize. But the hunter guys up here are finding their Issues with bread-and-butter rifle loads like 30-06.

I had no trouble with Remington .45ACP, but consistent issues with their .22LR and 9mmP. Stopped buying it and no more problem.

Primers seated too deep ??
Primers are supposed to be seated ALL The Way In ! That way the primer compound between anvil and cup is squeezed, sensitizing it .Otherwise you will get ignition problems !!!
Perhaps in your case the primer holes were cut too deep.

That's all basic primer science ! :eek:

Remington has the worst QC of all the ammo's makers methinks.

Plus, there so damn proud of it. When the cheaper, foreign brands are ever dang bit as good and work a mite better.

Back