Remlin 45-70

I have a 45-70 Remington made Marlin. I continue to resist the "R" nickname. It's a 1895 CBA. My second 45-70 is a Henry, which can be used for comparison sake. Initially, I bought the "R", because it's a side loader, and didn't have those deficiencies of earlier models. If it had, I'd never have bought it. The Henry has a bit better wood, a lighter trigger, but all in all, it isn't much more of a better rifle. I like them both. I did some additional but simple wood refinishing on the "R", which looks better than the Henry at this point.

It is what the original Henry 1860 had and that I why Henry still makes them that way, just as they've always done.

Today's Henry is not in any way, shape or form the same company as the original Henry of yesteryear. They're "Henrys" in name only.

I have had a Williams receiver sigh(light weight)t on my early marlin 95 in 45-70 #B0001920 and after sighting it in in the mid-70,s is has not moved and I did not have to get a new front sight. eastbank.

Mississippi,,,nice looking rifle,,,do you know if it has the ballard rifling?? if it does are you planning on shooting lead bullets??

if it does and you are planning on using lead bullets,,,i use a lead bullet from a lyman 457643 mold,,,comes in from my mix(bout 20b on my hardness check) at about 420gr..,,,it has a bigger meplate than the 405gr. cycles fine in my marlin like butter,,,and it is a buck hammer,,,i run it about 1300fps,,,plenty for a white tail,,never had one not go through and through,,,,i would think it would be mighty hard on pigs too

cycling a much bigger bullet through the action may cause a problem,,,you will need to watch OACL in this lever gun,,if you reload,,,to long and they will hang it up,,,you prolly already knew that but i thought i would toss it out anyway

yep i like the heavy slow bullets too,,,always have worked good for me

ocharry

You might also consider the Barnes Original. They are good bullets if you want jacketed.

They make them in 2 configurations, both 400 gr.

There never was an "original" Henry company.

According to author and historian R.L.Wilson, in his book Winchester, An American Legend, "Although only about 13,000 Henrys were made, the name became so popular that for a year the firm was called the Henry Repeating Rifle Company. However, in 1866-67, since O.F. Winchester had majority control, the name was changed to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company..."

Back