Remington's "Ultimate Muzzleloader" model 700 Questions

Interesting; thanks. I thought the Savage required a NICS *because of* smokeless powder. Well there goes that theory.

And then now Randy W says that the Ultimate *IS* a NICS-check firearm.... Lol, double whammy on the theory. In that case, Remington *really* should have made it smokeless capable (which it surely is, if it has the same heat treat as other 700s, whether they say it or not).

Randy, why didn't they use a common brass like say 10mm auto or .45 acp or similar - or even .45 super? Doesn't make sense to me to use a proprietary brass for these.

Originally, the Savage 10ML was ruled a "non Form 4473" arm. But, then the ATF changed their minds, and the original 10ML (module gun) is a 4473 forearm.

One of the problems is that large rifle primers are thicker than pistol primers and don't seat correctly . . . or reprime well. The chamfer on the Remington .308 brass seals substantially better.

http://www.randywakeman.com/RemingtonModel700UltimateMuzzleloaderFrequentlyAskedQuestions.htm addresses some of the most common questions.

Thanks for all the info Randy - makes sense on the brass choice (to use rifle instead of pistol primers).

Pahoo, could you describe the smokeless powder-in-a-black-powder-rifle "fails" that you witnessed in more detail? Thanks.

Brian, very well. I think we agree that we disagree!

PM Coming

Pahoo, could you describe the smokeless powder-in-a-black-powder-rifle "fails" that you witnessed in more detail? Thanks.
Nope !!!
At least not in this thread or any, for that matter. I just don't like giving folks an idea of how and where to cheat and possibly get hurt. It would also have little or nothing to do, in your post. .... :)

I will however, send you a PM instead .... :)

Be Safe !!!

Back