Remington X mark trigger no good

All my newer Rem 700s have Timney triggers. Varmint models have a 2.5 lb. pull and deer rifles have 3 to 3 1/4 lb. pulls, because I'm wearing gloves and/or my fingers may be a bit stiff in cold weather.

As for factory triggers, Tikkas have great triggers and safties and I enjoy both .243 Win and .223 Rem rifles.

I bought a Rem 700 ADL to get a donor action for a 6PPC target rifle build. Since I was on a budget, I kept the X-Mark trigger for the time being. I check that it was not on recall first thing. I adjusted it down to 2.5lbs (as low as I dared) & it has been safe & reliable. It has as fine a trigger pull/feel anyone could ever want. The rifle is really shooting well but it is obvious I'll need a lighter trigger to get to the rifles full accuracy potential. But that is a shooter issue & not the trigger's fault.

I wish someone would experiment with an X-Mark & actually make it fail & publish the results. I for one don't have a rifle I want to repeatably bounce up & down on the butt trying to make the firing pin fall. Maybe I was just lucky with my trigger. If it wasn't for reading threads on the internet I would be praising Remington for the fine triggers they are putting on their rifles these days!!

RC20 #13. blade never a primary safety. I realize you don't have low tree limbs or bushes with stout branches to push through on your bench. But that blade knows no difference between your finger and a branch entering the trigger guard for those who do go in the woods. Actually everyone should get acquainted with their manual safety. It is the only primary safety. I'm sure you know the difference, but some newbie could get the wrong idea, ending in disaster. No offence intended, so please do not think I meant any. Actually I bet those Alaskan woods are a whole lot prettier than Florida heavy brush. But I hear you too, have blood suckers. We have them nearly year-round. .Pat

Papa: No offense taken, all valid points.

If I was hunting I would probably have it up to the full 6 lbs. As noted by Supercub99, his 7mm was awful but I saw him make one amazing shot and know he made a number of others.

Hunting was always a conundrum with the safety, I tended not to have a round in the chamber, easier all the way around.

I do like the Savage safety, I always thought that location was by far the best.
Also least likely to get moved out of position. 1903s continue to confuse me to this day!

But I do fully agree on the sear (interlock is probably a better word).

And Glock being a poster child for Glock Leg and Glock butt more than proves you can't stop ND with a device.

Listening to a NPR discussion and the guy made that a point, there are no accidental discharges, they are all negligent.

Got my Remington back from gunsmith today. Same trigger but took the adjustable trigger screw out and reworked the existing one. Great 2.5 lb pull. Didn't have to order the Timney. $45.00 and ready to go.

My Remington 700 LTR 308 cal. started out with the original trigger. I shoot bench rest only lowered the trigger to 30 ounces but would change slightly, changed to a Jewell set it to 8 ounces. After smoothing & polishing the trigger, the rifle is perfect. Remington all the way

This one is specific to hunting only. Like you all our bench rifles are about 1.5 lbs. try to keep all our hunting rifle at 2.5. I find it hard to go to the range and shoot the lighter triggers first and swap to a heavier one. I have to shoot the heavier trigger first or I start pulling shots. Just me I guess.

WendyJ, what ever works for you is the way to go, I am so use to my 8 ounce trigger it doesn't feel light. I'm talking about a benchrest rifle.

"Just me I guess"

No, not just you, but in my case I have to shoot my light triggers first and then my heavier triggers. My CZ 452 breaks at 1.5 lbs, my M1a breaks at two stage 5.

If I shoot my M1a first, the trigger on my CZ feels almost non-existent.

The Timney in my 700 breaks very clean adjusted to 2.5 :D

After reading all of the posts I am so glad I no longer own a Remington. I had a few 700's many years ago and they were ok, but nothing to write home about. I bought a brand new Sendero in .308 that would shoot a 3 inch group at 100. Yup, after months of trying different bullets, powders, brass, primers, seating depths, chanting at the moon, sacrificing lambs, a 3 inch group. Sold the piece of junk and never looked back. I remember when Savage was considered a very cheap rifle, even though out of the box the old butt ugly 110 had a better trigger and could shoot rings around a Remington. Now years later, Savage probably sells more rifles in a day with a better trigger than Remington sells in a month.

I am proud to say that I have been Remington free for over 20 years. It's a good feeling. :D

Rancid, I guess I would have felt the same way. May have been one of those Monday morning productions after a bad weekend. I have a Remington 700 308 use only for bench rest, trigger & barrel have been changed after 4000+ rounds. Just love shooting it. Anyone out there shooting a 700 for bench rest only, remove the ejector. Makes life easier getting fired brass. May also help accuracy.

Back