Remington Model 870 Poll:

Which Remington Model 870?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I only have five 870s; I inherited two. I shoot left handed because I am left eye dominant, but all of my 870s are right handed. I have left handed safeties on a couple of them. I have a home defense model with the long magazine and put a youth butt stock on it because I am small. I have a rifled barrel model with the cantilever scope mount and have taken deer at more than 100 yards with it. While I still have a Winchester 1897 (one of two I inherited), it stays in the safe. If I was starting over I'd buy a Wingmaster (and then an Express.)

I do love an Ithaca...

There have been some police surplus Wingmasters and Police Magnums on the market lately. If you want a defense gun, it's hard to do much better.

That's ridicules. The older Wingmasters had steel safety's, steel magazine followers, machined steel extractors. All that been replaced with plastic and MIM.
I guess ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder. The mag followers went to plastic in the early 70s. I have had 6 of those and zero issues. The reason they went away from steel followers is because they were battering the receiver retaining ring. I have not seen a Wingmaster that did not have a steel safety. The part number for the safety button on 870s and 1100s has been unchanged for over 50 years, they list only one, and it is steel. I have seen three Wingmasters from a few years ago with MIM extractors, but I looked at a new one last week that had the forged extractor.

Last edited:
Back