Remington Model 8/81

I should refrain from mentioning this, but I have no shame. At least two Remington Model 8's were used when a certain much publicized crime couple encountered a little problem on May 23, 1934. Frank Hamer had one in .30 Remington with an extended 15 round detachable magazine from Peace Officers Equipment Co. Another officer reportedly had one, caliber unknown by me, and another had a BAR.

Jim

No matter the relevance, I have to throw this one into the pot as it were.
The 6.8 Remington SPC has the .30 Remington as its parent cartridge.
The program started the design by using a .30 Remington case, which was modified in length to fit into magazines that would be accommodated by the magazine wells of the M16 family of rifles and carbines that are currently in service with the U.S. Armed Forces
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC

So, in a small way, it still lives. Well, sort of. :D

It is interesting to note the cheers and praise for the 6.8 from the same folks who condemned the 6.5 Carcano (just about the same, with a heavier bullet) as worthless, low power, and not even worth discussing in polite society.

So we may be going back to 1890's cartridge power. That may say less about the 6.8 than about the 5.56 it is intended to replace.

Jim

Anybody know if my Model 81 will digest .35 Remington Hornaday Leverevolution ammo with the polymer tip? Is there any reason it won't feed or cycle?

On another note, were the heck is all the .35 Remington ammo ???:confused:

I don't know why a Remington Model 8 or 81 in .35 Remington would not work with any SAAMI-spec cartridge in that caliber.

Just FWIW, I have been doing some more research on the Frank Hamer rifle(s) and I am totally confused and mixed up. As far as I can determine, I was wrong on the caliber as most of the POE-modified rifles were in .35 Remington, though .30 Remington was offered as an option. It appears that he did have such a rifle, which his son showed to the press, but it was a Model 81, so it could not have been used in 1934. Whether he had another POE rifle earlier or whether he used a standard Model 8 is a question lost in the mists of time.

Also I was not entirely accurate in calling one rifle a B.A.R. - it was a Colt Monitor, a commercial version of the military B.A.R. The felons did have B.A.R.'s, stolen from a National Guard armory.

One thing seems certain. In spite of the TV version of history, there were no Thompson SMGs at the famous ambush. But they do look "cool" in the TV show.

Jim

"On another note, were the heck is all the .35 Remington ammo ???"

.35 Remington is subject to what is called "seasonal" production, meaning that it's normally only produced in one or maybe two runs a year.

With the enormous demand for ammunition in just about all calibers, though, many of the less popular seasonal production rounds simply aren't being produced right now, allowing the companies to devote production to cartridges that are in far higher demand.

.35 Remington is subject to what is called "seasonal" production, meaning that it's normally only produced in one or maybe two runs a year.

When is this so called "Season" ?

The internet is void of ANYTHING .35 Remington. Bullets, brass, ammunition.

I did finally find ONE place on the internet with plenty of 200Gr bullets for reloading in stock.

Most .35 Remington ammo is sold for whitetail season, so that would be your answer.

Production would take place in late spring or early summer.

Anybody want model 8 stripper clips?

I have 3 original Remington Model 8 stripper clips I would like to sell.

I have an all brass first model and 2 others. They aren't cheap but

they are hard to find. If anyone is interested get in touch with me.

Mouser, I looked in there before and there was nothing. Those links don't mean it's in stock at the locations listed. But I do see Cabela's has the Leverevolution in stock now. Doesn't matter anyway, I scored components.

Cheatin Charlie, those sound interesting but I don't know that it will make reloading that much faster.

Generally we don't allow solicitations for sales in other than Gun Show, Black Powder, and Handloading, but I'm going to allow Charlie's offer to remain simply because those clips are so specific and getting to be so darned hard to find.

It would be good, however, if you were to let us know exactly which clips you have, as ones for the .35 will not work for guns chambered for .25, .30, or .32 Remington.

Doesn't the rifle have to be modified to take the clips? The cutout that folks think is a clip slot is actually just for tool access and doesn't have support surfaces for a clip.

Jim

I was actually wondering myself how a stripper clip would work on this rifle. I'm familiar with the stripper clips for 5.56, but those only work with one of the adapter thingy's that fit over the magazine.

Besides, if I miss my bear or deer after 5, whats the hurry.

I was given a beater 81 in 300 Savage.I have scrounged a forend and a few other parts.Mine was missing the tang screw for the pistol grip stock.For anyone with this problem,Brownell's has a #12 unthreaded screw blank that works.A buddy had the 7/32 -40 die .He gave me an original stripper clip.I have not tried it,but my 81 has a stripper clip slot in the receiver.

This rifle is growing on me!!I'll shoot it soon.I like it.

Mike I do not wish to break any forum rules but because these would only be
of interested to advanced collectors I posted them here where there was
discussion of the Model 8. They are .35 cal. / .300 savage
For those who don't know the early Model 8's used a blind box magazine and
was loaded singly thru the top of the action or by a stripper clip. If anyone
is interested send me a private message.

ALL Model 8/81's have a fixed or "Blind" magazine Including my Model 81 built in 1937. The only one that didn't was the (Rare)police model which was modified to accept 10 and 15 round detachable magazines.

Last edited:
Remington marketed clips for these rifles as they were sold, no special clip guides, just the cutout on the top of the receiver.

Apparently the cutouts supported the sides of the clip and it bottomed out on the back of the magazine. Not a great arrangement but it did apparently work.

Back