Remington green box .45LC is it a cowboy load?

Remington produced the 1858 pistol untill 1875 when they made the 1875 cartridge pistol ..from 1868/69 to 1875 these 1858`s were converted to fire the cartridges .

little history on conversion cylinders http://www.armsportllc.com/conversions.htm

Remington produced the 1858 pistol untill 1875 when they made the 1875 cartridge pistol ..from 1868/69 to 1875 these 1858`s were converted to fire the cartridges .

Yes, I know all about cartridge conversions, I've been focused on them for a couple years now. What I didn't realize, because I have not done much reading on the Remingtons, is that they originally used two piece cylinders similar to the R&D on some versions. So I don't think I need any more basic history lessons.

Craigc ..sorry wasn`t meaning to say you didn`t know ..my post was really for those who seem to think the cartridge conversion is a modern invention and not ment to be used in cap and ball revolvers . They could be a pain in the arse used on a Colt but they go together like peas and carrots in a Remington for sure ..I much prefer shooting my 1858`s with cartridge conversion rather than my 1873 colt Peacemaker..The Remmie fits my hand better , and I can load and unload as fast sometimes faster .

Well I went ahead and bought the box, and there is a slight OAL issue. The R&D cylinder is a just a slight bit longer than the original cylinder, so when I put the cylinder pin in there is no gap at all between the cylinder and the barrel. When I pull the hammer back the tips of the bullets drag on the barrel.

Yep the OAL can be a real problem with the conversion cylinders ..I reload so it isn`t hard to fix ..With the face of the bullet dragging against the forceing cone , you`ll have lock up problems for sure ...might ought to take those back ..

When i got my 58 conversion cylinder for my remmy
i picked it up from old west guns in phx az, so i took
my smoker with me, just to be on the safe side, so the one
they had was a uberti and my pistol is a pietta, so i thought
this will not fit, well it fitted perfect, it all worked like it should
and i was told you can not mix and macht without work.:D

Back