Remington Express Core-Lokt Accuracy Issues

Never cared for Remington ammo. I use it for breaking in barrels or fouling a clean bore. I got 3in groups at 100yds with 140gr .260 core lokts and .244in groups with my handloads. It is not quality ammo by any stretch.

I sent a 180 grain CoreLokt from a 24" barreled 30-06 over the chrono today...for a fouling shot...it only registered 2,599 fps...pitiful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ridgerunner665 said:
I sent a 180 grain CoreLokt from a 24" barreled 30-06 over the chrono today...for a fouling shot...it only registered 2,599 fps...pitiful.

Not to jack the thread, but that looks about right for a 180 grain bullet out of the .30-06.

In the .243, my Savage stabilizes 100 grain bullets just fine, it's when I get up to the 105-107 grain weights that I start getting into stabilization problems. I admit that I've never fired any factory ammo through the little rifle, so I have no experience with Remington Core-Lokt ammo in that caliber, but my rifle likes 100 grain bullets. Nothing fancy, just plain ol' cup and core bullets. My current reload uses the Hornady #2453 and Reloder 22 powder

.243sav+01.jpg

From a pencil-barrel Savage that's bone stock, I don't see anything at all wrong with that group. I've thought about snatching the barrel out, replacing it with a heavier contour, but never seem to get around to it.

You can't go comparing accuracy of reloads to factory ammo, especially in a new rifle. If you want to go down that path, I have an experience 100% opposite yours -- where my squared-and-trued .243 was printing groups smaller than 0.5" at 100 yards, within 15 rounds of the first shot down that barrel. (excluding the single test load fired by the gunsmith.) Untested reloads, factory ammo... everything. ...including factory loaded 100 gr Core-Lokts.

Every barrel reacts differently.
Every reload is different.
Reloads are not factory ammo.

As far as weight deviation goes....
Right around 3% is the industry standard for anything but premium bullets. With a 100 gr Core-Lokt, that means you'll see about 98.5 gr to 101.5 gr.
With a 150 gr Core-Lokt, that means you'll see about 147.7 gr to 152.3 gr.

But, even some premium bullets will still see deviation around 3%. Right now, I'm shooting an average group of 0.490" at 100 yards with 140 gr Nosler Partitions in .270 Winchester. They weigh 137.5 to 143 gr. (Nearly 4% deviation.)

FrankenMauser

I agree with this. I think the rifle makes all the difference.

I still say it is the bullet, they didn't work as handloads in my .300 Savage with 150 grain until I sorted them by weight to get 1-1.5" groups. I tried .270 150 grain factory ammunition in a TC Venture rifle shot right at 1.5" groups. I also tried 140 grain 7-08 ammuniton in a Stevens 200 and it grouped no better than 2".

In fact the only factory Remington ammunition that has ever grouped well for me is the 200 grain .35 Whelen load, both of my Whelens will do less than 1" for three shots with it. The only reason I bought the Whelen amunition is that one day I walked into Dicks and they had it on sale for $9.99 a box so I bought all 200 rounds and all the boxes were from the same ammunition lot.

I don't care if if 3% is standard deviation or not for bullet manufacturing. I'm not going to use Remington Core Lokt bullets for reloading or in factory ammunition for anything other than plinking. It just not worth it to me, and it isn't a big jump in price to step up to a Sierra, Speer, Nosler, or Hornady cup and core bullet and I've never had the problems finding a good group with theses bullets that the Remington bullet gave me.

Go to the range right before deer season. 1.500 groups are considered fantastic by most of the guys here in Pa. Out of 100 shooters, I doubt 15 could shoot an inch and a half group if the rifle will hold a half inch @ 100 yards. I ALWAYS try to use Remington Corlokt bullets when I reload. I get the occasional gun that just will not shoot in, but it is rare. I would rather loose a little accuracy at 100 yards than have the bullet not work when it gets there. I went down the "Super deer bullet" road and am not impressed. Good ol' Corlokt works for me.

If I had never started reloading I'd probably be happy with 2" groups as well. I've only killed one animal at a range where a 2" @ 100 yard gun wouldn't get it done. However I'm spoiled now and I'm not going back. Plus I never mentioned using premium bullets I always stated standard cup and core bullets. I'll never buy Remington Core Lokt bullets again for reloading purposes, because I did have a bad experience with them plain and simple.

No...it should be about 2,700 fps.

Velocity measurements for factory ammo are often done using 26" barrels. As a result, they tend to be overly optimistic. Using a 24" barrel, 2600fps isn't unreasonable; that's only 50 fps lost per inch of difference.

My .243 H&R Handi rifle shoots remington cor-lokt 100gr bullets extremely well on the other hand it shoots federal 100gr not so well. When I shoot factory ammo in my 30-06 and not handloads its always cor-lokt. The 06 is sub moa with either cor-lokt or my handloads. Better with handloads though. Ive shot cor-lokt for a long time and dont see that changing anytime soon. Federal on the other hand leaves alot to be desired in my opinion.

Velocity measurements for factory ammo are often done using 26" barrels. As a result, they tend to be overly optimistic. Using a 24" barrel, 2600fps isn't unreasonable; that's only 50 fps lost per inch of difference.

Most quotes I've seen are from 24" barrels....2,700 fps has been the standard for 180's from a 30-06 for as long as i can remember.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't assume Remington Core-lokt bullets are the problem. These 3 shot groups were with 180 gr. Core-lokt bullets. This was a load I had done for another rifle and haven't tried to work up a load yet for this rifle. Btw this is out of a Marlin XL7 and a Nikon Prostaff scope which isn't exactly high end.
3groups.jpg
[/IMG]

GunPlummer, I have shot five deer on the other side of the state near Slippery Rock, and the longest shot was 70 yards. If your terrain is like ours, two MOA is just fine.

I was shooting a Savage 10 Tactical in 308 Win that was fully capable of sub MOA groups with 168gr match ammo. I tried Federal 180gr blue box in that rifle and got 12" groups at 100. Some ammo just doesn't work well with some rifles.

You can probably sell those 100gr Corelok loads to someone who has a stick that can shoot them tight. If nothing else take them to your local gunshow for trading stock.

Jimro

I own 2 Sako rifles chambered in .308. One shoots really good groups with Remington Corelokts, the other groups best with Winchester. Just because you have accuracy issues with a particular ammunition in a particular rifle, does not mean that the ammunition won't get good results in another rifle.

Some lots of Remington ammo/bullets are better than others...you see those 3 pieces of duct tape?

Thats a 3 shot group of Remington 180 grain CoreLokt...the other 3 rounds are reloads with Berger VLD's...same rifle.
photobucket-3154-1349794648260.jpg

A different lot of Rem ammo shot pretty good in this rifle last year...this batch was/is crap...

Back