Remington Core-Lokt 30-06 - Failed to Fire?

After inspecting the fired rounds vs the unfired rounds, the pin strike looks exactly the same. Next weekend when I get another shipment of ammo I should know for sure.

Looked the same.

I ran a straight edge on the bottoms and the first rounds primer is sitting flush with the bottom of the round, nothing buldging, and the second round is seated barely a thousandth of an inch below flush... sitting into the round.

:confused:

it's unusual indeed

:):):)Well anything made by man can be flawed or fail in some way. That holds true to the ammo and the rifle like you said a few more rounds may tell the story BE SHURE AND WEAR YOUR SAFTY GLASSES. I would want to be sure of the cause myself before I put that one to work as my hunting rifle. Sorry about questioning the age and condition of the ammo but I have a friend I hunt with that keeps his ammo for his hunting rifle on the dashboard of his pickup truck!@#$%$#@! the box stays there year round this is south Texas the temp on the dash in the summer with the windows up is very high but come season he will reach up there and the box is now generic because the heat and sun have bleached the box white he will pull out a few rounds and head for the blind I don't think he has ever had a problem with the ammo.

Buzzard Bait

i

I looked through the thread, and not once did I find out what make and model of rifle Antihero47 is using.

I am interested in that because there are differences between push feed and controlled feed rifles.

I have a memory of having ignition problems with 284 brass in a K31. The rim thickness and width of my 284 brass was thinner than Swiss brass. So the base was not being held tight against the bolt face. Some rounds took an extra strike.

I suspect that your rifle has a tolerance issue. Either insufficient firing pin extrusion, or maybe the extractor gap is too big. I am certain that factory new ammunition will all go bang if hit hard enough. And that one brand is OK, while the other is not, means to me something dimensional is off.

Heck, maybe the Remington rounds seat deeper in the chamber.

I have shot 30-06 Remington for years, it always has gone bang for me. Brass has been good too. The core lock bullets are so-so for accuracy. I never killed anything with a core lock, so I don't know how they do on game.

I've shot a couple of hundred rounds of Core Lokt 30.06 since I bought my rifle and I've had exactly one dud. I've had other brands of stuff be much worse in fact. I think my Savage might be hitting a little light on the primers too. I've had several duds from other brands but they have all fired on the second tap. Core Lokt has been the most consistent I've used so far. And it's also been the most consistently accurate. But then again I haven't bought any target ammo or the like. I can shoot one hole groups at 40 yards with Core Lokt in my Savage and MOA at 100 yards when I do my part. That certainly isn't true with other ammo I've tried. My only problem is getting in enough practice or rather getting enough cash together to practice as much as I should. I've got a lot of other breeches to feed. :)

I wouldn't buy a brick of Remington .22's again but I like their Core Lokt stuff. I have no problems with it. I also like their 12 ga. ammo. I've had all kinds of problems with Federal 12 ga. shells. The brass just isn't right on the Federal 12 ga. stuff I've been shooting or at least it doesn't want to work in my 870 at all. Every round I fire in it gets stuck and must be pushed out with a rod. I know my shotgun has a problem with it because I can shoot shells from the same box in my other 12 ga. (at least I could before I sold it) and not have a problem. I have 6 boxes of Federal 00 buck and two boxes of Hi-Brass that are almost full that I'm going to trade to a friend that owns a gun shop for some Winchester 00 buck.

All guns have ammo they like and ammo they don't like. Sometimes it's a surprise what it is that doesn't work well. Federal is supposed to make some really good 00 buck and it worked great in my other 12 but it won't work right at all in my 870. Go figure.

I have a Rem. 700 SPS.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to be getting some white box stuff ordered online. I would hope to be getting a lot more issues with this stuff then core-lokt. I will be taking my 5 unfired rounds and push them back in and give them another go, and we'll see.

Like I said before, the strikes look the same from the fired on both Winchester and Remington, and reflects the same on the unfired rounds.

;)

Winchester Ammo

My shooting buddy and I went to the range this summer. He opens the box of 40 S&W Pistol ammo and two of the 50 rounds had the primers seated upside down! Do I think that makes Winchester bad and Remington good because I've NEVER had a FTF with the Rems? Not at all. S*** Happens! I'm partial to Winchester Model 70's but also have a Remington 700, 742 and 870's and shoot Remington Core Lokt's in rifle ammo and Winchester "White Box" pistol ammo. Moral of the story. Whatever floats your boat and makes YOU happy.:)

Im still trying to find what floats my boat. I'm not bashing Remington Core-Lokt. Doesn't shoot well in my rifle, if at all. I'll have to see if its just an issue with the firing pin or the ammunition.

It's probably just a matter of some guns work with some ammo and not with others. I hope that's all the problem you're having because I would have to guess a problem with the rifle if I had that many duds from a Core Lokt box. Maybe it was just a bad batch though. It happens.

Just before everyone starts to point fingers at Remmington Core-Lokt, I have a new Savage 111 30-06 which had a number of mis-fires using Rem ammo. At first i was convinced it was the Remmington Ammo. I finally got a hold of a friend's 30-06 after my stockpile of Core-Lokt misfires started to pile up and found it was my rifle not the ammo that was the problem. It appears that Remmington has harder primers than other manufacturers, so this may cause issues with rifles that have lighter pin strikes. I am still fighting Savage to fix the rifle since there is no reason a new rifle shouldn't be able to detonate these rounds.

The first thing I think of in reading a report of misfires is the gun, the second is the ammo. Ammo, even if relatively new, can be ruined by such factors as extreme heat during storage.

Ammo storage is a consideration today especially, when some old timers with ammo they squirrelled away back in 1950 are now dragging it out to sell at high prices. That ammo was not always stored under optimum conditions.

Jim

Many years ago I bought a brand new box of Win .270 Silvertips. Out of that box, 2 rounds didn't fire even with repeated strikes. I still have that rifle & it has fired 1,000's of rounds since (mostly handloads) & it has never failed. I wish I had sent that box back to Winchester, but instead I never bought Winchester CF factory ammo again.

Just glad I wasn't pulling the trigger on a buck of a lifetime! :eek:

It happens...

...bug

Clean your bolt. At the very least, shoot some Brake Kleen in the firing pin hole of the boltface. There may be some debris inside the bolt or some gummy grease that is slowing the fall of the FP. It's possible the Winchester ammo has a "softer" primer cup than the Remington. FWIW I've found the Winchester Power Point to perform poorer on deer and overall(both trajectory and retained energy) compared to Remington Corelokt.

I have had great luck with Remington Coreloct in the past this ammo situation might have caused them to have to scrounge for primers. The rantings of some unknown internet author will not lower My opinion of this fine Company!

I used to shoot core-lokts in my Marlin 336 chambered .35 remington. I had a fail-to-fire once while I had a nice whitetail buck in the crosshairs. He of course ran off as soon as he heard the "click" and I had no chance to load another round and try again. I had two more misfires from the same box of 20 while shooting targets. They weren't light strikes, and I tried firing them a second time, same result. The ammo was obviously the problem. They had apparently used a bad batch of primers. I started shooting Hornady lever-evolution in it and have for the past few years with ZERO FTF's.

Core-lokts used to be a little cheaper than everything else but anymore they are right around the same price as Hornady custom, Winchester power point, Federal power shock, and my favorite, Federal Fusion. It is great ammo for the money. The Fusions are $21/box on midwayusa.com if you can catch them in stock, but I'd say if your'e at the local Wal-mart at the right time you could find them there as well.

" I will be taking my 5 unfired rounds and push them back in and give them another go, and we'll see."

Just a suggestion but if the first two do not fire, save the other three and pull the bullet in one and see if there is powder in the shell. If not, I would send the five shell back to Reminon with a detailed note of the problem. They'll probably send you some fee ammo. :cool:
Frankly, I'm not surprised. With the factories ramping up production due to the demand quality control just has to suffer regardless of how closely they check it.
If the offending rounds do fire, then I'd be suspecting the rifle. I'd tear down the bolt and give the insides a good cleaning.
If Remingtom primers are a bit harder and the inside of the bolt a bit dirty, erratic firing pin strikes my also be a part of you accuracy problem with that ammo. Erratic force from the firing pin isn't gonna help one bit regarding accuracy. Winchester primers may have a slightly softer cup, I just don't know but Wichester primers have always seemed to be hotter than most other unless you're using magnum primers.
I'm repeating myself but I believe I'd be cleaning the bolt as one option toward fixing he problem.
Paul B.

I know this is being posted quite a while after this thread was last updated. However, I am also having trouble with the Remington core-lokd 30-06 ammunition. My son and I both have brand new Savage 30-06 rifles. We have had similar issues, for 2 hunting season's running. Last year we had2 hang fires and 2 no-fires from one box of Remington 150 Gr PSP ammo, in my son's Savage axis. I tried to fire the 2 no-fires from my rifle, and they did not fire from that rifle either. We took my son's rifle to a gunsmith, and he verified that the firing pin was operating correctly, good protrusion and forace, and the no-fires had good primer dents in them. This year, we were shooting core-lokd 180 gr, and it happened again. 2 no-fires in my son's rifle (same rifle), one fired in my rifle, and 1 did not. I contacted Remington, with full details of what happened, and sent the no-fires to them. The only response was thank you for bringing this to our attention, and here is a box of Ammo. I guess I should be happy for the free box of ammo, but I sure would like to know what is going on.

I have had people bring me 336 Marlins in .35 REM over the years with missfire problems. Most of the time the cartridges fired in another gun. I personally never had a problem with Remington center fire ammo. I don't care for Winchester or Federal because I don't believe the bullets are designed as well for hunting. I have had Hornady brass so oversize it would not fully chamber. Get used to it. That is the new corporate America. Cheap and fast is good.

Back