Remington Auction Results

Another interesting bidder is Sierra for Barnes. I use both bullets, but they are about as different as you can get. Is Sierra looking to expand, or to take a new path?

Actually, Cerebus taking 220+ million out of the company forced the BK; they loaned the money to themselves through one company and paid themselves back with another, leaving Remington holding the bag.
That was always the plan, but it wasn't an immediate death sentence.

FrankenMauser said:
Actually, Cerebus taking 220+ million out of the company forced the BK; they loaned the money to themselves through one company and paid themselves back with another, leaving Remington holding the bag.
That was always the plan, but it wasn't an immediate death sentence.
No, it was more like sentencing Remington to death row and then just waiting until all appeals had been exhausted and the death sentence could be carried out.

From Ruger:
September 30, 2020

Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama. The Company will pay the $30 million purchase price from cash on hand at the time of closing, which is expected to occur in October.

"The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up," said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. "The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings."

The transaction is exclusively for the Marlin Firearms assets. Remington firearms, ammunition, other Remington Outdoor brands, and all facilities and real estate are excluded from the Ruger purchase. Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities.

"The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time," continued Killoy, "is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."

With the last comment then the lever actions sound like they will continue at least.

Vista
Answer my own question. Located a blurb stating Vista got the Huntsville operation, and machinery is being moved even now. The City of Huntsville is attempting to either reclaim the property, or get 10 million bucks back in return. What a mess.

Vista didn't get Huntsville, they got the Arkansas facilities to make ammo; Huntsville makes guns.

When I say Ruger hasn't delved into lever action firearms I mean current production and not to the same scope and scale that Marlin did.

I know Ruger made at least one for a while. The Model 96 comes to mind but it was only in production for about 12 years or so. Marlin was a innovator for over 100 years but the QC really went downhill after Remington bought them out. My own 336 and my brothers 444 are proof of how bad the QC got at one point. I do have a 2020 manufactured 1895 SBL that had no QC or cosmetic problems and runs like a top, but 1/3 isn't a good track record.

I think this is absolutely a good thing for the Marlin brand.

Marlin had already gone down hill before they sold out to Remington. Remington just happened to make it much worse by scrapping all Marlin tooling and production methods, and choosing not to retain any of the skilled labor; because they thought redesigning for CNC manufacturing would be easier and superior.

The only things that were still being built well by Marlin in the early 2000s were some runs of the XLRs, the Model 444 (treated as the flagship), and the Model 39a (too fiddly and dependent upon hand-fitting to not make it right). The 336s, 1894s, and 1895s saw quality progressively drop from 2002 to 2008; before the big plunge under Remington's rule.

What happened to Remington? I should read up on it but will ask here. The company is so old, did they try making reproduction vintage rolling blocks and trap doors?

Back