Remington 870 Police Variant

I bought a NIB police magnum circa 2000 AD. Ejector popped off after about 50 rounds. It's been fixed, but I thought what if one of the boys in blue had to inaugurate this piece in a firefight? My early '90s express seems more solid (I guess in part due to less finish machining/polishing) then again I hear horror stories about the later Expresses. With Remington there's no sleep for the wicked, but then again I can't bring myself to move on to another make...
+1

Quite frankly, the new 870 Police guns are trash.

Rough chambers, MIM everything, poorly fitted stocks, receivers so roughly machined on the inside they can draw blood just by looking at them, the list goes on.

It is no secret Remington quality control has plummeted in the past decade, and is currently at an all time low.

Thankfully, as more and more departments are ditching shotguns in favor of the more effective 5.56 tac carbines, the surplus market for police trade in 870Ps is flourishing. These guns are tremendously superior to the current models, the differences are night and day. I wouldn't mind picking up another one.

+1

Quite frankly, the new 870 Police guns are trash.

Rough chambers, MIM everything, poorly fitted stocks, receivers so roughly machined on the inside they can draw blood just by looking at them, the list goes on.

It is no secret Remington quality control has plummeted in the past decade, and is currently at an all time low.

Thankfully, as more and more departments are ditching shotguns in favor of the more effective 5.56 tac carbines, the surplus market for police trade in 870Ps is flourishing. These guns are tremendously superior to the current models, the differences are night and day. I wouldn't mind picking up another one.
Model12Win, I think you are full of it. The rough chambers on Expresses issue is years old. I have not seen any systemic issues with 1100s, 11-87s, Wingmasters, or 870P shotguns. The inside rails have always been knife edge sharp - by design. I cut my finger on my first 1100 in 1963 and learned my lesson. I have seen a few isolated issues, all taken care of by Remington.
You are correct about the easy availability of good used police guns.

Back