remington 783

I owned an ADL and I will NEVER touch one again, worst finish of any rifle I have ever seen I was fighting rust all the time despite regular cleaning and oiling, I would not even give it the dignity of making the list much like the 770. It was a shooter though, if only they made it in a stainless I probably would have loved that gun.

They do make it in stainless. Sportsmans Warehouse has had them for 3-4 years and I've seen them at Dicks too. Last price I saw was $479 ish with a cheap scope.

For the money the new Ruger gets my vote for a budget rifle. The Tikka is a very good choice, but I'd put it in the mid levels for both price and quality. And probably the most gun for the money in the $500-$800 price range.

the Tikka shouldn't cost anymore than a Ruger American, or a Marlin X.

The Tikka stock is far better quality than the others, and easily justifies the added expense.

While most everyone else uses mold injection stocks Tikka builds a fiber/matrix stock completely different category of construction, literally the same difference between a cheap Chinese plastic toys and Ferrari body work. That remarkably strong stock is one of the reasons their rifles are such fine shooters, and why they are so light.

The Tikka is made of better materials where it realy counts - Barrel , trigger & stock + better QC , it would be nice to see other manufacturers offering an accuracy guarantee!
If money is tight though - Savage every time !

Last edited:
remington 783
a good friend is thinking about getting one of these. its his first rifle and he is on a budget. hes only gonna hunt deer short range with it. what do you think for $450?
thanks for the help

They seem to be good rifles for the money, but $450 is MSRP. You should be able to find one for closer to $350.

I consider the 783 on par with the Ruger American and Marlin X7. Which are all around $350. Also in this range is the Stevens 200, which would be the best choice if you plan on customizing your rifle with an aftermarket stock and trigger.

Below $350 range you have the Savage Axis, Remington 770, and Mossberg ATR.

Slightly above the $350 mark you have the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard and T/C Venture. A nice step up for not much more coin.

But for around $550 the Tikka T3 lite is the best value of them all IMO
Choose wisely

Back