Remington 770 .30-06 good deal?

#1 Is this a good deal? "Starting price" on Remingtons sight is about $100.00 more, and I have seen similar rifles WITHOUT scope starting at just over $400.00 new at my LGS.
#2 What quality of scope is a Bushnell, if a Leupold or Nikon was a 10 where would Bushnell fall?
#3 What is your opinion/review of the Remington 770 rifle? It felt natural and weighty in the right areas in my grip, how does this weapon stack up reliability and durability wise?

1. No its a poor deal
2. If a Leupy is a 10, then a Bushnell is a -10
3. Avoid.

WildyougetwhatyoupayforAlaska ™©2002-2010

To answer number one its a good deal
#2 The scope is a 4, pretty much no good. They cost like 35 bucks
#3 The gun isnt worth it. Lots of platic on it and they arent known for the greatest accuracy. Not a bad rifle for a young kid just wanting to try to get into things but for someone thats used to 700 accuracy you will be disappointed

It's been said many times that the 710 and 770 are Remington's "disposable rifles" meaning that when they are shot-out or need any repair, just throw them out and forget any repairs. A rifle to look hard at is the Marlin X7 series of rifles. They are not expensive, have wonderfull adjustable triggers, are very accurate, have very smooth actions, and come with scope bases. The only drawback, if you can call it that, is that they have a blind magazine and not a removable magazine. Did I mention that they are light in weight also. You also mentioned you were looking for a caliber that would be suitable for deer as well as varmints. A 30-06 is a little heavy-duty for varmints not to mention excessive recoil especially when shooting prone or bench shooting. Here I'd like to recommend the 25-06 or even the 7mm-08. Both good calibers for just about all varmint and deer hunting and the recoil is tolerable in a light rifle.

The purchasing manager at the shop ordered a 770 without consulting the gun guys. It sat on the shelf for months, because none of us would recommend it to any of our customers. We finally got rid of it by making it a "prize" at a Ducks Unlimited dinner.

I have nothing against Remington in general, I own several. I'm past the "starter gun" stage now, but if I weren't I'd buy a Marlin XS7 in a minute and take it hunting anywhere. I'm amazed that you can buy a gun that nice for so little money. I wouldn't own a 770 if it were free.

There are Bushnells and there are Bushnells. The Elite series is a pretty nice scope. A Bushnell that comes bundled with a 770 probably isn't as nice.

Dick's by me (two stores actually) have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint combo package for $499.99 -- It's the 700, green synthetic stock , 26"? big barrel, with a scope, not sure brand, 3-9x40 I believe. It's not exactly the BEST or Real Good 700 models but it's still a 700, a range of calibers (I know they had .22-250, .223, .243, and .308 which is what I was going to get. I came very close to buying this pack several times and still might. So it's not your 770 .30-06 but I believe most will agree if you can get this deal you're WELL WORTH this over what you're looking at. EVERYONE Told me Jan/Feb 2010 to NOT TOUCH a 770.

I would pass on that one. Most packages give you a $20 scope that most buyers wind up throwing in the trash. I don't have personal experience with the 770 but it has generated many negative reviews. I just think there are better choices.

Dick's has the 700 ADL syn & SS for $450 if you can spend the extra money. If I were in the market for a budget setup I'd get the Marlin or the Savage Edge and pair it up with a scope in the $150 range.

If you are going to get married buy the best rifle/scope combo you really like. After you are married the cheapo will be all she will let you buy!

Maybe I just got lucky

I bought a 770 3 years ago when my regular rifle came out of the tree stand and the stock broke.

It has done very well for me though it doesn't like remington ammo at all. It absolutely loves Federal Fusions. Now a gunsmith friend lightened the trigger for me and improved the accuracy a lot.

Yea, its a cheap rifle and the bushnell scope isn't a Leupold or a Zeiss but it has killed a couple of deer.

The price you quote is a very good one so my advice is if it fits you and you like it........ Buy it!!!!!!!

No way I'd buy the 770 when you can get some great rifles in that price range. The Savage Model 110's or 10 if you get a short action at Walmart with the accu trigger and a cheap scope for $400 at Walmart are one heck of a good deal for an amazing rifle. The scope isn't the best, but it should get you by until you can get a better one and unlike the 770 the rifle will be one that should last you a lifetime. The Marlin XL-7/XS-7 is another good choice in that price range. I prefer the Savage, but they are both good rifles.

... I would call it a fair deal... As stated the scope really isnt much... but base and mounts would still be included...

.. Its not like buying a rifle for 500 or 600 then haveing to buy base, mounts, and scope.
The problem with that is the mounts and rings that come on it are total crap. They should really be replaced, so it's no advantage either. I've used several sets of cheap rings, but after using a few sets of nice quality rings, they really are that much better. I'm not sure why anyone would use cheap aluminum rings. I prefer the Burris Signature Zee rings, but there are other good ring choices too. That being said, if you had to buy a set of rings and mounts, you could probably be setup for around $10 with similar quality rings and bases that come on the 770. So it's not like you are getting anything worth anything with it.

I have a 770.

In .30-06. It's not the best rifle and almost everything on it is made of plastic but it still shoots. I work for mossberg an I took the rifle to work for a makeover. I had the barrel threaded for a muzzle break from mossberg and had it blued and hot polished. I sandblasted the stock and had it dipped in mossy oak brush. They threw a bi pod, some cheap rings and a barska 4x16-50 varminter on it and haven't messed with it since. Everything was free so I'm not complaining. I went out to shoot it the other day and best was 2 in groups at 100 yards with 165 gr core lokts. Not tooo bad for a rifle in that price range. Only problem I had was that the front mount broke to place the bi pod. Other than that it's not toooo shabby but Remington could have done better..

My brother bought one in .270 for christmas. I shot it about a week ago and it shot some pretty nice groups. It wouldnt have been my first choice but it shot good. I didnt like the trigger but that can be fixed. The bushnell scope dialed in with no problem.

The 710 and 770 are definitely NOT of the same quality as the 700. You may want to steer clear of the Wally World specials, rumor is that they get poor quality firearms because the order in such huge volumes. A friend of mine bought a 710 and during its first season the gun started falling apart-literally. The bolt would come out while cycling and the clip would fall out while shooting. Bushnell does make good scopes, but the ones that come with the 770 are better suited for 22's. You may be money ahead to find a used 700 and get a Burris or Nikon scope. Hope this helps

Buddy

The 710 and 770 are definitely NOT of the same quality as the 700. You may want to steer clear of the Wally World specials, rumor is that they get poor quality firearms because the order in such huge volumes. A friend of mine bought a 710 and during its first season the gun started falling apart-literally. The bolt would come out while cycling and the clip would fall out while shooting. Bushnell does make good scopes, but the ones that come with the 770 are better suited for 22's. You may be money ahead to find a used 700 and get a Burris or Nikon scope. Hope this helps

Buddy
It started falling apart not because it was from Walmart, but because it is a crappy gun. The 710's and 770's and just as crappy from a gun shop.

True, but I have looked at other guns sold by Wal-Mart and they didn't look like the ones sold at gun shops-Barrel finish didn't match receiver, checkering was a little off, stock finish was so-so..Not on all the guns but on some that is. I just have the feeling that Wally World gets the factory seconds when they are available.

Last edited:
770 60-06

I bought mine used ok I gave $300 for it, but the big box stores don't sell them around here. I got this one for draggine around the woods of northern MN and not having to worry about scratching it. This used one is like new only fired a couple of times. OK it's not my Dad's old 700 BDL 300 win mag (That got away from me without my knowledge GGGRRRRR) The fitand finish is now where near that quality. After we get it on the range more coments will post. I am new to this forum thing evryone

True, but I have looked at other guns sold by Wal-Mart and they didn't look like the ones sold at gun shops-Barrel finish didn't match receiver, checkering was a little off, stock finish was so-so..Not on all the guns but on some that is. I just have the feeling that Wally World gets the factory seconds when they are available.

If that were true, they'd have ALL the 770s. If a 770 doesn't set off your junk detector, then you need to get it recalibrated.

If you buy this rifle you will hate yourself for it this gun isn't even a good deal at $50 just pretend you never saw it and walk away calmly

I looked at the 770 at Sportsman's warehouse.

It's junky compared to the much nicer Remington 700 (ADL).

Of course, the ADL is not as nice as the BDL or CDL.

Things I noticed:
- magazine is not durable
- work the bolt - and notice all the play (and grinding sensation) that you get
- Notice the scope is really cheap - and will hold its aim for maybe a half dozen shots.
- Plastic trigger guard is cheap, and waiting to break.

In a nutshell - I opted not to purchase the 770, and save up a little (I'm buying the Weatherby Vanguard)

Back