remington 760 gamemaster

creekrat72

Does anybody know anything about the Remington 760 game master? Reliability? Accuracy? Good gun? Anything at all would be appreciated.

The 760 is a great rifle! Have had one in .308 in the family for 50 years. Very reliable action, no failures to extract or jams even hunting in rainforest and snow. Free floated bbl helps give very good accuracy. Dad shot an elk one shot kill at 330 yds.

Operation is similar to 870 shotgun. Only downside is the slide may rattle a little while stalking if you not careful. Dad got it to be ambidextrous since he was a lefty and us "boys" are righties.

Durable, reliable, more accurate than many bolt rifles, ambidextrous and fast action. Plus it came with iron sights for backup.

Last edited:
i had a 1953 model 760 in 30-06, it was a great rifle and could shoot better than me. Sadly, I lost it in pawn years ago.

I've shot them in 30/06, 270. and 243. Good enough out of the box for deer hunting. The later ones have the barrel free of the fore end hanger which some consider advantageous. My first deer fell to the old 760 in 30/06 . At the time I thought it kicked severely but I was only 15 and weighed about 110 pounds.
Basically a manually operated 742.

I'll give another vote of confidence to them. My 760BDL 30-06 is more accurate than my Encore in the same caliber.

In 1965 I shot my first deer with one in .270 caliber. I now have one in 30-06 with a carbine barrel set up for night hunting hogs. Very very good guns. Thousands and thousands of deer taken with them over the last few decades by thousands of hunters. Almost identical to an 870 pump shotgun with the exception of the magazine release button. I imagine it would make an excellent anti-bear rifle in bear country in the larger calibers. I think it was once listed in the top five American hunting rifles.

Yes indeed, the 760 is a great game rifle. Very familiar to anyone who uses a pump shotgun, and a lot more accurate than anyone gives them credit for being. Ours flirts constantly with MOA, using good handloads and depending on the loose nut behind the stock.

The one downside is the magazine. I don't know if it's just our rifle or a trait of all of them, but seating the magazine is tricky. Not something you can do in a "slam it in and go" motion. But, it's a hunting rifle, not a combat rifle. I'm always on the lookout for another nice example in the used gun racks locally.

PawPaw brings up one thing that needs to be singled out as a caution. That is the magazine. The good magazines are all-steel. I've heard of some later-production magazines (and aftermarket brands too) that were not all steel and those can be an issue. The original steel mags are readily available (Ebay, Gunbroker, etc) but they can be a bit pricey.

I've had one (an early fifties variant) chambered in 30-06 since I got it from my grandfather in 1969. The relatively low stock drop on the early ones made them better suited for use with iron sights. Later ones came with a higher comb, making them more appropriate for use with scopes. My "Gamemaster" has a Williams "FoolProof" receiver sight mounted on it and it has accounted for more than a few deer over the past several decades. The trigger (a little on the "spongy" side) and accuracy (with factory 180 grain Core-Lokts, my rifle toys with 2 1/2" groups @ 100 yards from the bench all day long-so long as you don't heat the barrel up too much) are acceptable and fine for big game hunting chores at moderate ranges. The Model 760 does not have the "leverage" offered by a typical bolt-action rifle in terms of extracting a recalcitrant cartridge so full-length resizing is highly recommended for reloaders.

Fast repeat shots, good handling characteristics, reliable functioning, strong action and being plenty accurate make the Model 760 rifle an excellent choice for all North American big game hunting when chambered in an appropriate caliber. I've always had a yearning for one chambered in .35 Whelen.

Finally, in my subjective opinion, the early Gamemasters, with their plain but functional stocks, are the best looking Model 760s of them all.

I have worked on many of them through the years. I am actually pretty impressed with them. Most shoot very well and about 1/3 of those I've have had come through my shop shot as well as most bolt actions. They have a totally free floated barrel and if you support the for end in the center so it doesn't touch the side of the barrel (it does wiggle some) the 760 can shoot about as well as a 700.
Being a pump you can't hot load it like you can a bolt action because there is not much primary extraction force. Shells shot under high pressure may stick a bit in the chamber and that can be a problem without any cam action on the bolt.
I have a friend that shoots one in 270. He loads his ammo with 3031 powder and so he's about 200 feet per second slower than some hot loads in bolt actions, but woweee ---- you should see the groups he's getting! It's enough to warm the heart of any rifleman. He's been killing deer elk and antelope with that gun since the 70s and has no desire for any other rifle.

I have never cared for 740s 742s and so on, but the 760 is a rifle worthy of respect.

Awesome Rifle

When I offered to purchase my step dad's 760 in 30-06, he gave it to me. 22" barrel, 1/10" twist, removable magazine. I din't realize until I got it home and started looking into it that it has always been considered a fine deer rifle by the gun rag writers. Follow up shots, when required, were fast and dependable. This rifle was developed around 1952, according to the Remington web site.

Mine has B&L Balvar scope (12x (?) variable, and roughly a 42mm objective) on see thru rings, really nice. It also seems to have a minimum chamber, which was a surprise for such a rifle.

I have purchased several OEM Remington Steel mags for it. They were not hard to find.

My step dad took a buck or two with it every year with 180 grain loads since he owned it, from, I believe, the late fifties or early sixties. Counting a couple of sighing in shots, he estimates it has had about four rounds thru it every year for 30 or so years. I'll probably put more than that thru it the first month; this is the rifle I was developing a load for where I posted an observation on the Pet Loads book earlier today.

While I don't hunt (yet) it is pleasing to have such a fine deer rifle to own, admire, and shoot. :o

Thank you all for the help. I have herd different opinions about this rifle. But from what had been said I think I'm gonna go get it today. Does anybody know what the accuracy of one in. 270 is. I have herd good and bad. I would just like some opinions from this forum. I have never been steered wrong.

Thank you

Like others have said. Accuracy is normally excellent - close to that of a bolt-action. Of course, that can vary depending on the condition it is in.

I used my 270 pump with iron sites 150 gr core lock to kill deer in the woods for years you can hit a coffee cup @ 200 yards easy. The guys in camp laughed because I wouldn't put a scope on it it shoots very fast when you need it to. You can see deer better with open sites in the woods when they are moving.It's one of the best guns I have and will not part with it. So if you have one be proud. Had two replace the hammer spring once now I keep the hammer down in storage.:)

Remington pump

The 760 and the Rem pump line has been , or at least was for long years, "the" deer rifle in many NE states. I've heard the short barrel versions referred to as the Pennsylvania Carbine. Many on Gunbroker come out of that area these days, or from retirees in FL.

Also, 760's served in the LE role with some agencies, including the US Nat. Park Service, the Border Patrol, and I think the FBI , likely others, in .308, where the commonality with the 870 was thought a good thing.

A .308 carbine has been on my watch for list for some time.

or from retirees in FL.

Yep. Mine came from my neighbor who retired from PA. I put a set of tractor-lug tires on his riding lawnmower for it. Total cost to me was less than $100 in exchange for a beautiful 760 BLD with the basketweave checkering and a Leupold 3-9 scope. Best trade i ever made.

I got my 760 this morning and I've been shooting it all day long. I've shot 6 and a half boxes of shells through it and it does heat up pretty quick but I am more than happy with the gun. My groups avaraged 1 inch at 100 yards but my third group was .654 inches and I shot a few more like that. I got it in .270 caliber and it hasn't jammed once.

Thank all of your for your help. Hopefully I'll be taking a few deer with it before to long.

Great choice.I have many rifles but I have two 760's in 30-06. One was made in 1955 and the other is a Carbine made in 1973. Both are boringly accurate and can do just about anything you want to do with it. I also have two 700's in 308 and the 760 can hold it's own with them if I do my part. Enjoy a great rifle design.

Back