Remington 710 vs. Remington 770

gunner4391

I just bought a Remington 710 in .30-06 and now I've been wondering, what's the big difference between the 710 and 770 except for the stock? They both look the same to me.

Did I make the right choice in buying the 710 for $215 in mint condition or should I have spent the $375 that I would've had to to get a 770?

Take the $375 and buy a good used model 700 or a Savage. You will get much more of a rifle going that route. There is a reason why a mint condition 710 cost $215. If I had to make a choice between the 2 though, I would go with the 770.

Walmart in my area is selling new Remingtion ADL's for just over $400 and Savage package guns for $377. Weatherbys are $390. The new Marlins are as little as $285 up to $319. The Stevens 200 is right at $300.

I would try to sell the 710 and get most of my money back. There are much better options for only a little more money.

The 710 has a better trigger than the 770, also a nicer looking stock too. The great disadvantage to the 710 is they have a plastic bolt stop that in the cold weather will shear off and the bolt will come right out the back of the gun. But since you are down south you won't have that problem. I once sighted in a 710 .270 for a family member and it produced a 3/8" 3 shot group with Federal 130's @100 yds. They are known to shoot. Sometimes the magazine latch breaks on the 710 and I've seen people duct tape their clip in, but that is a cold weather thing too. Around here we hunt alot in 5 to 25 degree weather. All in all I would buy the 710 over the 770 especially if I hunted in a warmer climate.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I'm trying my best not to belittle your rifle but you would have been a lot better off to buy a Howa. The 710 and 770 both have awful actions. If you can return it for a Howa I would.

I work at a sporting goods store and all of the 710 and 770's that i have personally sold have come back for some sort of reason. I highly recommend people to spend the extra $50 and get a savage package or spend an extra $150 and get a tikka.

I didn't catch where he asked what brand rifle should he buy? I thought he asked if he should stick with the 710 or purchase a 770. If that was the question then so far I'm one of only two with an answer. They aren't the best rifles out there but they work. And frankly I haven't been impressed with the cheap look and feel of the Savage, Stevens, Marlin, and Howa's either.

And frankly I haven't been impressed with the cheap look and feel of the Savage, Stevens, Marlin, and Howa's either.
There is a world of difference between a bargain look and p-poor functionality. You've admitted that they break often. Several of us made the suggestion to return the 710 because they're bloody awful. If that singes your feathers then so be it because Savages and Howas are head and shoulders better rifles. We look out for each other here.

Sorry for ruffling your feathers Sholling. You made a good point about functionality verse a cheap feel. I was trying to say that if he isn't going to put hundreds of rounds through it, he would probably do fine with the 710. I've never owned one but have known several people who either do or have.

Alright then moosemike I would go with the 770 due the fact that they quit making the 710 due to the problems that they had with it.

Hey moosemike, he asked the question. Why don't let him talk for himself and let him decide what info he wants and doesn't. I know your new, but use your head before you speak.

I was simply trying to answer his question. If he wants advice beyond the 710 or 770 my recommendation is to buy either a pre 64 model 70 Winchester or a Weatherby mark V. I lump all those 710,770, Marlin, Mossberg, Savage, and Stevens bolt guns into the same class. A Howa seems decent enough though as they build Weatherby's Vanguard, which is an excellent rifle and maybe the best value to be had.

I don't know too much about the Rem 770, but my brother has a Rem 710 in .30-06 with the included scope and it is very accurate. He has taken 4 deer with it in 3 years and he loves it. Me... I've had a $550 Ruger with a Nikon Scope and it wasn't as accurate as his 710. Go figure...

I've since sold it and recently purchased a Rem 700 SPS. I like the 710, but the action is too sticky for me. But all in all, they are great guns for the money.

Howa, Weatherby Vangard, Savage, Marlin XL, even the Stevens 200, all decent. But not the Rem 770 or 710. If you check to see how they're made, you'll understand. They won't last.

Thanks for the replies guys, but again its in mint condition and it only cost me $215 and it shoots very good...all of the rifles that many of you are telling me cost around the $400 range. I think I got a pretty good rifle for the money and I'm getting very good groups at 100 yds and I took it out yesterday and I got some decent groups at 300 yds. I agree that its not the greatest rifle in the world, but tell me you can find a better rifle in just as good condition for the same price and I will completly agree with anyone who has an issue with the remington 710

i am a remington guy, but the 710 and 770 are a POS. you could get a stevens 200 or a mossberg 100atr in the same price range brand new and would be better guns. you will have problems (many have been mentioned previously) in the future with this gun. it was remingtons shot at the low end of the market.

Back