remington 700?

he removed Remington barrels and these barrels were epoxied in the receivers because the receiver threads and barrel threads were so poorly machined.
Yes, Remington barrels are glued in. It is not an epoxy, it is more like LocTite or plumbing pipe thread sealant. But many other manufacturers do the same: Weatherby, Howa, Browning, Winchester, and probably a few others. Yes, it is probably there so that the slop from cutting threads to minimum specs will still allow a solid fit once it has hardened, but it is there as an assembly aid for mass produced equipment, not to glue the guns together. I am more concerned about hot melt glue, er, thermoplastics in the bedding area than glue on the barrel threads.

do you expect the threaded barrel to just stay tight on its own with constant temperature change and vibration?

Here is a link on the Remington Walker trigger. This link describes the Remington Walker design and how it appears to be more prone for debris to get into the trigger housing and why the debris may be more prone for problems when compared to other trigger designs. Be aware there is potential for problems and not just on triggers that have been adjusted.

http://gunsmiths.com/articledetail.php?id=87

The new rifles come with the xmark trigger. This trigger has replaced the so called problemed design. I find it funny how quick everyone is to put reminton down over their problemed trigger, without knowing they have been replaced.

The trigger was replaced in 2007. Lots of Remington 700's 7's, 600's, 660's 78's, etc. made prior to 2007. As I said earlier, that would not prevent me from buying one, but folks just need to understand a problem could happen and extra precautions are in order.

do you expect the threaded barrel to just stay tight on its own with constant temperature change and vibration? |

Since just about any other maker avoids this....yes. Any barrel that gets fired over time actually gets tighter on it's action.
Remington does this primarily for one reason alone, potential liability claims from home hobby types that would incorrectly do something and claim mfg. responsibility, that's the only reason.

Warbird, have I been to hard on Remington? I had to send a new Model Seven back to the factory because a headspace issue made it extremely difficult to open the bolt after firing. Then a brand new Model 597 threw its extractor plunger on the third round. The 597 also had the front sight mounted a couple degres off-center, rendering it impossible to zero. Do other manufacturers of low and mid range rifleshave similar QC issues?

An Honest Assessment

I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 7mm08, its a tack driver. However, to make it shootable to me, I had to change the stock, magazine box and bolt handle to date. The factory stock sent on the SPS from Remington is absolute crap IMO. Its flimsy, poorly fitted and just generally feels bad. The magazine box is a little short to accomodate my tastes as I like the bullet seated just off the lands and its working as my groups are one big hole. The bolt handle is just a personal choice and asthetics for me.

The trigger is decent but the set screw protrudes into the shoe when set to 2-2.5lbs like I want. I'll be replacing it with either a Timiney or Jewell pretty soon.

Honestly were I looking for something out of the box and not willing to do a little work on it, then I'd look more seriously at Savage. I bought the Remington because it was the only heavy barreled factory chambered rifle I could find in 7mm08. It was a crap shoot that paid off with the way the gun shoots so overall I am pleased considering I was planning on doing the work to begin with.

do you expect the threaded barrel to just stay tight on its own with constant temperature change and vibration?
Actually, the right hand rifling that is prevalent in most firearms' barrels pretty well takes care of that. Every time you shoot, it tightens a little.

Warbird, have I been to hard on Remington? I had to send a new Model Seven back to the factory because a headspace issue made it extremely difficult to open the bolt after firing. Then a brand new Model 597 threw its extractor plunger on the third round. The 597 also had the front sight mounted a couple degres off-center, rendering it impossible to zero. Do other manufacturers of low and mid range rifleshave similar QC issues?

Joe Chicago

Not at all Joe. If I had your experiences I'd probably feel the same as you. I have worked for many companies and what I've seen with almost every one is that there are "peaks and valleys" regarding quality. It might be something some manager said that PO'd the whole workforce for a period of time or a pay issue etc etc. In any case I know it happens. I've been very lucky after "taking a chance" on a Remington. I took that chance mainly because I had an excellent M77 Ruger to fall back on if something went wrong. And recently in this forum I haven't heard of any Remington problems in the last year or so. I am going to buy one of those new Ruger Americans one of these days just to see if it's a piece of c**p or not. And lately in here the quality issues seem to be with TC Ventures and a Vanguard recall.

BTW, did you ever get those Remington problems resolved Joe?

Quality

IMO, many QC issues come up when there is new ownership or a major change of personnel supervision, management or executives.

New owners always want to increase profits, and sometimes they do not want to listen to their new employees. Sometimes they try to change too much too soon instead of doing a little tweeking here and a little tweeking there to make a better product or a product that is just as good at a lower cost. Quite often they require the workers to do more with less resources. If problems don't show up immediately, they are likely to show up over time.

New people in key positions are likely to look for something to make them as an individual look great in the company. Sometimes it works, and sometimes QC takes a nosedive. Quite often they throw others under the bus in the process which destroys morale and pride in their workmanship. Take out the team concept and quality will eventually be affected in a negative way.

I just bought a 700 XCR, I took it out of the box mounted a scope on it and shot it. I did adjust the trigger as it has the X mark pro trigger, it went from heavy to fair which is just fine. I have not had any issues with this rifle in fact I have 3 different loads worked up for it and all shoot right at 1/2" MOA.

Warbird, Remington corrected the headspace issues on my M7, but I sold it anyway. With the #1 contour barrel it is great to carry, but terrible to practice with at the range. In its place I bought a Weatherby Vanguard S2.

I just sent the 597 back to the factory with a letter saying I am only interested in a refund, not a replacement. I am curious how they will respond.

It is a damn shame Big Green let their QC drop. My 1997 ADL was a great shooter, and I loved the feel of the 700. Maybe in a couple years I'll get another Remington.

Hope you have better luck on the next one Joe (if there is one... :D) Are you having good luck with the Vanguard? Regarding grouping etc etc.

If I was you and going to buy another Remington I'd go somewhere where I could fondle what I wanted to buy, check the headspace, look at the rifling (making them help you do it) so you don't get another lemon. That's pretty much what I did (minus the headspace check)....

Its about tax return time and I wanted to ask if the 700s are still a quality gun or if QC has taken a downward trend. Also is 390a good price for a 700 in 7mm mag? It isnt a 770, but a 700, heard bad stuff about the 770...

I have a VLS thats about 5 years old (not sure when Cerberus bought Remington) but it shoots 1/4-1/2 MOA groups prone... I cant wait to see what it does on the bench.

Warbird, the Model Seven had problems only after firing rounds. The bolt worked fine seating the rounds. I did inspect it before buying, including looking at the rifling, but I had no headspace gauges.

Back