remington 700

Remington 700 ADL in 7MM Rem Mag

In 1975-76?, my room-mate asked me to find him a good flat shooting rifle at a reasonable cost. I traveled a lot at that time and was beginning to hand-load using the early Lee hand loader set (aka Tap-Tap-Bang) for my 357 Ruger Security 6 and the 30-30 Marlin that I bought used in 1974. I used my Hornady reloading manual to find a flat shooting caliber to look for. I was in Anderson, SC and visited Grady's Sporting Goods which is still in business today. The salesman presented me well used Remington 700 ADL in 7MM Rem Mag. He named the price (believe below $200) and he allowed me to call my room-mate from the store phone. My room-mate told me that he wanted my Marlin instead of the Remington I found and we made a deal over the phone and I bought the Rem 700. That was the best buy I have ever made. My room-mate was happy with his new Marlin and I found out that that 7mm Mag was extremely accurate sub moa. Many Deer and Crows have fallen or gone poof to this rifle. My Hand load used the Hornady 154 Grain Spire point with IMR 4350. Don't know much about the newer Remington rifles today but that old used Remington 700 sure is a fantastic rifle.

Lemmon

700VTR next to my Soldier Son's 700 SPS Varmet. Both .308, both with Nikon Buck Mark 6X18 Mil Dot scopes.

DSCF0177.jpg

VTR shoots <MOA, SPS shoots 1/2"MOA, both at 100 yards.

Are those Nikon Buck Mark Scopes good scopes? I've seen them, but haven't checked into them. Also is the sun-shade removable?

700VTR next to my Soldier Son's 700 SPS Varmet. Both .308, both with Nikon Buck Mark 6X18 Mil Dot scopes.

dougw, i went with the sps, but i would like to know how you like the vtr as compaired to the sps as far as shooting ?

The Buck Mark scoped have been great. They collect a lot of light, and have both held a good zero. Yes, the sun shades are removable. Mine is normally off.

I bought the VTR as a "reward" for my successful 2009 sales year. I bought it more for the looks and the lighter weight than anything. I looked at the Sendero and the SPS rifles when considering a purchase. All are fine rifles. My VTR will be a LOT easier to tote in the field than the SPS, with close to the same accuracy. The SPS is more accurate and is 2 pounds heavier (estimate). I wanted a good combination of a field/bench/so called "tactical" type of rifle, and the VTR fits for me. My other .308 is an L1A1 which will hold 2" groups at 100 yards open sights. I figure between the two I can take game at close to "long" (500 yards) range.

Back