Remington 700 X-mark Trigger Adjustment

KROIL

Eventually my 700 will be getting a Timney trigger but for now I need to get better pull out of the X-Mark stock trigger it came with. No matter how much I adjust the set/adjuster screw I cannot get it below 4 pounds. Has anyone found a way or another type adjustment to better the pull weight ? Heck , I would be happy if I could get it down to 3 pounds.

LOL, sounds familiar. First day I got my 700I tried adjusting the trigger. Just like you I couldn't get it to 4 lbs. Think it was just under 5 lbs. Next business I ordered a Timney. Still have that junk xmark somewhere around here.

Can you blame Remington? After the last trigger I can not blame them at all.

Kind of strange. I actually was somewhat impressed with the XMark that came on a new 700 ADL rifle that I bought for a 6mm PPC build. After checking to make sure it wasn't under recall, I adjusted it to a very clean & safe 2-1/2lbs. Fantastic trigger, but no, I wouldn't try to get it to 1-1/2lbs!

I must just be lucky...

FWIW

I got one down to 2.5# once, then I shot the gun. Next shot was 4+, then 6+, then about 6oz. Dang adjustment screw was sticking out and took meat off my finger. Best thing you can do is bite the bullet and get a Timney. Heck, if I'm planning to buy a 700 anymore, I just go ahead and order the Timney first. X Mark is junk.

X-Mark Pro triggers are fully adjustable from 4.5 to 5 lbs. :D

I have spent my time trying to do trigger jobs on them, now I just sell people a Timney trigger. It works better and only takes 20 minutes of my time to get a good pull weight.

I got the Timney calvin elite for mine and it was the best choice ever for the gun. If you use the gun for target shooting, you can adjust the calvin elite so a mouse fart will set it off.

I gave up on a couple of Junk-Mark triggers and just got Timneys, which are quite a bit more expensive than those I bought for customers several years ago, but they work great!

If you order one direct from Timney, they send a Tootsie Pop with it, but better than that, they'll adjust it to the weight you want (within design limits for the model). Price is about the same as from other sources.

JP

A former friend of mine had one of the X Mark, and I think it was a nice trigger for a factory rifle. He didn't want to wait for the recall they had so he got a Timney.

I'm sure they vary a bit from gun to gun, but this one wasn't a bad trigger.

I had a Savage with Accutrigger and have a Mossberg with the LBA. The LBA is pretty nice. No creep at all and sitting at about 3lbs.

I tried a Timney very nice but since I know how to adjust the xmark wasn't enough to warrant 125$. A lot can go toward a rifle for that price besides a trigger. Using the internal screw in the front of the assembly can adjust them down to about 2.5 lbs. just scrape the glue off that screw and slowly turn it out while using a pull gauge and screw it back it if you go too far. Then make sure the firing pins cocks on close if not it's been adjusted too light. Do the tap test shut the bolt rigorously but not intensely hard. This make sure will not inadvertently discharge.

If needed lighter pull weight than that needed can buy a spring kit for 10$. I adjust down to about 3 lbs for all my rifles and works well for me. The external screw rarely works and something they need to address and if that worked better people would likely hate it less. Most people don't know or bother with the internal adjustment and write it off as a junk trigger when in reality just takes a few minutes of research and time to know...

I just adjusted one tonight on a new 700 and working well ☺️.

If you know how to tinker with them adjust internally is a pretty decent factory trigger.

Hope this helps.

Well I got out a 700 SPS with an Xmark to try the inset screw adjustment. But first I tried the trigger adjustment screw. All the way up -4 3/4 lbs. I even removed the screw by turning it all out - 4 3/4 lbs. Yes the trigger screw is useless. Now the inset screw. WOW I got it ALL the way down to 4 1/2 lbs........I have two Timneys on the way.

KROIL said:
Well I got out a 700 SPS with an Xmark to try the inset screw adjustment. But first I tried the trigger adjustment screw. All the way up -4 3/4 lbs. I even removed the screw by turning it all out - 4 3/4 lbs. Yes the trigger screw is useless. Now the inset screw. WOW I got it ALL the way down to 4 1/2 lbs........I have two Timneys on the way.

Sounds like you have a couple stiff X triggers if you could only get them down to 4.75. I have read of pull weight inconsistiencies with the X triggers, some can get them to work well, others hate them. That's the nice aspect of the R700's is easy personal customization. I have older X triggers on my two R700's and I have them dialed down to about 3.5# and I'm happy with them. I actually like my single stage triggers a bit on the heavy side. I also shoot a lot of vintage military rifles (M1, M1A , K98 and such) which have around a 4.5# pull and I prefer all my rifles to have somewhere near the same pull.

Timney sure has fast service ! The UPS guy rolled in with my two #510's. I popped one in my new rifle and will do the SPS tomorrow. SWEET...and speaking of sweet , the box also had 2 tootsie pops - both cherry flavor which must be the flavor ya get with #510's. Now if the ice will finally melt off the lakes I can see just how far I can chuck an Xmark......

"Timney sure has fast service ! The UPS guy rolled in with my two #510's. I popped one in my new rifle and will do the SPS tomorrow. SWEET...and speaking of sweet , the box also had 2 tootsie pops - both cherry flavor which must be the flavor ya get with #510's. Now if the ice will finally melt off the lakes I can see just how far I can chuck an Xmark...... "

I had the same experience with the Xmark, 4.5 no matter what. I put a Jewel in that one and it's all good. I just got two Timney's for my milsurp sporters, but only one tootsie pop!

Best way to adjust the xmark. Use a 3/32 punch and remove pins. Place it in a round receptacle. Place jewel trigger on receiver and reinstall pins.

I just adjusted my xmark to 2.5 on my 5r .308 and working well. Sad many folks think they are junk but oh well. Hope the OP figured it out or decided otherwise. I plan to shoot in events and long range precision with my Xmark and should work good. Can't spare 125$ on every 700 I get when that goes toward a lot of more needed shooting supplies or reloading gear.

Last edited:
I guess it's nice to be special. When Remington says this is a great trigger that can be adjusted with a set screw from 2.5-4.5 lbs yet is doesn't make one ounce of difference where the screw is, then something is wrong in my book.
Understand, this is a "LR" rifle which means long range. I think it would be great if the trigger worked as advertised especially when shooting distances.

I did get my 700- on sale at Cabela's and then found the trigger didn't change weight when adj. I could probably send it in to Remington and have it looked at. This would cost time and money. I could take it to a smith and have it looked at, again, time and money. Or, I could change the trigger out to something that works and works every time and end the problem for that same amount.
I would be very unhappy if I paid full regular price and had to do the same.

So, I do appreciate that you are special and don't have to deal with things like this. I will contact you the next time I need something expensive and have you pick it up for me and all will be just fine.

700 trigger

Remington must have changed their triggers since manufacturing their model 600.

Mine is in .222 and still hits thumbtacks at 100 yards consistently after nearly 50 years.

I guess it's nice to be special. When Remington says this is a great trigger that can be adjusted with a set screw from 2.5-4.5 lbs yet is doesn't make one ounce of difference where the screw is, then something is wrong in my book.
Understand, this is a "LR" rifle which means long range. I think it would be great if the trigger worked as advertised especially when shooting distances.

I agree. I don't think mine made a difference of 2 oz. Mine however was in the recall so who's to say. My friend got the same rifle a month a head of me and his was the same.

That trigger can be adjusted if you know what you're doing and you can get past all the epoxy covering it. I put it where it belongs, in the trash.

I can't blame Remington for putting a trigger like this on their product after the job that was done to them over their older trigger.

But it amazes me that someone will say theirs was adjustable to 2.5 lbs. I also chuckle when someone says their SPS stock does not effect accuracy.

Back