Remington 700 VTR or SPS SS .308

And one more thing

The Remington has a hinged floor plate magazine, meaning you can empty the shells out of the bottom. The Savage if you fill it up, you have to chamber each round and then eject it.. round after round.

I've never had a rifle with a hinged floor plate magazine, and I've never felt it was something I needed. Some people think they are a necessity. That's fine by me, I just don't understand why. Other than maybe some tactical/police sniper situations, I just don't see any advantages they offer.

ndking1126,
Thank you very much! I am going to the gun store and looking at them both in person (along with the scope you recommended) but i think due to the price difference i will buy from Buds. I will do a post for pics and a range report ASAP, thank you all so much for all of your help. I am so happy i found this board, seems like a good group of people!

I got a Rem 700 SPS SS in .308 Win back in 2008 to use as a hunting rifle. I mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope on it but otherwise left it stock, including trigger pull.

With my handloads it will produce <0.4" 3-shot groups at 100 yds all afternoon. Based on this, I recommend the SPS SS, but I am a simple guy.

FH

sc002e7ec5.jpg

Last week with handloads, 42.0 gr RL15 under a 168gr SMK, CCI BR2 primers, 1x R-P cases

If recoil isn't a concern I would go with the 30.06. You can get factory ammo for 110gr-220gr and everything in between.

Just to make sure..

Are you familiar with ordering guns online? If not, you have to have an FFL licensed dealer local to you fax/send their FFL license to buds. Normally the FFL dealer will charge about $25-35 per firearms transfer. The cost could be free or it could be more, just depends on what the FFL holder wants to charge. This is a federal requirement so it will apply to any online sales.

I'm sure Buds would be happy to explain it in more detail.

I was rereading the posts here, and noticed one guy said he saw a Monarch for $200. I would recommend the Monarch over the FFII if you can find one at that price. The difference is higher magnification for the FFII, but higher optical quality for the Monarch. For hunting at normal ranges, the 3-9x is plenty of magnification.

if i spent a grand on my 1st hunting rifle i would be biting the bullet LITERALLY from the hands of my wife lol ....

Back