Remington 700 vs Tikka lite

I like both the Tikka and Remington, owning 1 Tikkas (.243 Win) and 3 Rems (2-.270, 1-.243). I like them all, or wouldn't have them now.

I carried a pop-up blind into a stand on top of a hill, to be used by my (from away) S-I-L the next day when it was going to rain heavily. I carried the .243 Tikka because it was lighter than either .270.

After setting up the blind and starting to tie it down, saw a spikehorn (135 lbs) standing crosswise in the snowmobile trail, 170 yards away. I reached for the Tikka and, resting my left hand lightly on top of the blind, killed it with one shot through the lungs, dropping it in it's tracks with a handloaded, Hornady GMX 85 grain bullet.

Three grandkids have used it and it's claimed 4 deer, so far.

Last year, I bought a Rem 700 CDL stainless-fluted in .270 and found it very accurate. It's now pillar-bedded in a custom stock with a Timney trigger. I haven't seen a "shootable" deer when carrying it yet, but hoping to do so this year.

My favorite rifle is a Remington 700 LH .270. I bought two of them used about 40 years a go and kept the more accurate rifle. I put a Brown Precision stock on it, glass bedded, and shortened. It remains my favorite despite its age. Very light weight, perfectly reliable, and extremely accurate (especially for such a light weight hunting rifle.)

Last edited:
Remington SPS not because of the two its made in America. But "I like some other performance enthusiast find it interesting to better Remington's center fires accuracy and reliability due to aftermarket parts availability."_ By my hand and other times by a talented gunsmiths. A hobby of mine that may not appeal to others.

have 2012 version of 700 in 308 ,with my loads ,cant get it to group well,some say it is me ,but I shoot model 70 ,270 3/4 " groups Tikka

Sure shot- You are definetly correct there. If you are a tinkering kind of person the Remington is the way to go.I think there are a lot of If not most match rifle made with Remington actions, Now that is about the only thing Remington left of the stock rifle. I think the OP wants a rifle that he does not have to double the price of to get it to shoot that good though.

On the other hand- My Boss who won a Reminton SPS tac in a 308. With hand loads we got that thing to shoot 1/2" at 100 yards real fast. I am ( as you can tell) not a Remington fan at all, but I must say, That is one sweet shooting rifle.

Back