Remington 700 vs 770?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Savage VS Remington

I must say I have a Savage 308 Weather Warrior & a Remington 700 SPS and both have Tasco 3x9x40 Scopes and both shoot equally well. I find I get groups of under 2 inchs with 3 round at 200 to 300 yards. The great thing about hunting Deer in New Zealand is up North the Deer are usually between 30 yards and 180 yards so accuracy is not really a problem. Down South is where you sometimes get shots at 300 to 400 yards and that is when you know that a quality gun is your only option! I could not decide between the two makes so I got both :-)

Mr. Kiwi :) welcome to TFL. Unfortunately, your post didn't really relate to the comparison aspect of the thread all that much, and the thread is elderly.

No big deal, but please give a bit more heed to your postings.

Again, welcome. No such thing as too many .30-'06s. :D

Art

Good for Price

This gun is meant to capture the eye of the lower end market buyers. they will be bought at places like Walmart. I have a 770 in a .243 win at walmart for about 300$$ and i love it. the bolt is a little sticky at first, but after 20 rds fired it loosens up. the magazine is a little flimsy, like i said, it is an inexpensive gun, so it is made with inexpensive parts. i.e trigger is plastic.
Also the claims this gun will fire without the trigger being pulled is bs.
The 770 is a newer version of the 710.
The trigger is very smooth, it barely has to be touched to fire.(it's a hair trigger.) All in all it is a grat gun for beginners and experts, and you pay 4 wat u get.

Others have basically exposed the 710/770 for what it is....low end product to be sold cheaply.

I wouldn't buy the 710/770 at any price.

IMHO, the 700 is one of the finest rifles ever made and I'm surprised that Remington would have their name associated with the 710/770. This only happened when the new owners took over. In years past, Remington was careful to produce high quality gear.

If you want a high quality low cost rifle, buy a Savage 110 or a Howa 1500.

Cabela's is clearing out the 700ADL stock (replaced by the SPS, I believe).

You can buy a 700ADL with a Cabela's scope for about $400 --- and will be way better off than you'd be with a 770.

You'll get a blind/internal magazine instead of a cheap removable plastic magazine. You'll get a better built bolt, and a metal trigger guard.

Finally - you'll get a firearm that you can likely build out according to your own taste.

(Wisconsin has a few stores - most of them are advertising this special May 5-15)

Last edited:
Yeah, the word's pretty well out about Remington's venture into the turkey business. Or gone to raising lemon trees...Whatever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back