Remington 700 vs 770?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom1956

I just saw an ad for the Remington 770 based of the 710? how do the model 700 and 770 compare in accuracy, durability, reliability? Just getting opinions. thanks

Last edited:
I am not a Remington fan in the least. That being said you cant really compare the 710 or 770 to the 700.

I wouldnt consider either the 710 or 770. If you are trying to save money I understand but I would simply save a few extra dollars and get the 700.

If you dont want to spend more money look into a Savage before you go with any 710 or 770.

J.

The 710, now known as the 770, is an attempt to capture the low end market. I went in to buy a 710 in 2002 and was so thoroughly replused by the quality of the gun, I won't buy any Remmy bolt unless it's the 700. There is no comparison in my view.

They put out one of the best pump shotguns in the Wingmaster 870, and have the economy line in the Express. The difference here is that the Express is a mechanically excellent firearm and lacks only the polish of it's high end sibling. I don't think that can be said for the 700/770 comparison, but that's just my opinion.

For the same price range I'd look into the Savage, CZ or even the new Marlin lines.

There is no comparison, put the 770 down step away from it and run like hell.

just do a search on here fro rem 770, you'll see.

Don't waste you time. You own a 700 and you own the best. I own a 700 (30-06) also and as far as I'm concerned it's the best.
Thanks Pop

Don't waste you time. You own a 700 and you own the best. I own a 700 (30-06) also and as far as I'm concerned it's the best.
Thanks Pop

Thank you for the "as far as I'm concerned" in your posting.

J.

The resale on the 770 is so bad that the local guns stores don't take them in on trade in anymore. If you are looking for an inexpensive rifle, a Savage is a great choice, if you want to go lower than that, a Mossberg.

I'll be the odd man out and say that the 710/770 is good for what it is, a cheap accurate rifle designed to last for 5000 rounds. I wouldn't take it into combat, but I'd have no qualms taking one into a treestand.

I agree with Sebring. I just like the Remington 700BDL looks and feel and the bolts are nice and smooth to work. They are in my opinion hard to beat for the money. They shoot very well, too. Everyone has their likes and dislikes in a rifle. The 700BDL rifles just float my boat. :D

I used this Rem 700BDL 25-06 to shoot a doe in the heart at about 80yds opening day of rifle season here in MO. This gun shoots real well.

23790Rem_700BDL_25-06_Medium_.jpg

Here's where I have it shooting at 100yds. This was my last shot Friday evening before gun season in the rain.

105_1499_Small_.JPG

Yea wow the 770 is the biggest POS on the market right now (over exageration but close) If you try to rack the bolt up any harder than a light push the bolt with bind in the chanber. I sell these every day at work and I always up sell the people on the Savage 111. For 30 bucks more at my store you can get a Savage 111 over that nightmare known as the 770.

A buddy of mine won a 770 in a raffle. I got a chance to look it over. The bolt was rough and the trigger heavy and had lots of creep. He used a little polishing compound and had the trigger adjusted. Now both are about average. The only area that his 770 could be compared to a 700 is accuaracy. It does shoot little groups. He gave it to his daughter and it will most likely last her for her hunting lifetime. (she only hunts, no range time)

Would I buy one? Absolutely not. I just bought a Weatherby Vanguard for $399, thats not much more than the 770 and it is well finished and a great shooting gun.

Dallas Jack

I own a 710. The action sucks but it serves the purpose that I got it for (acutally I got it as a gift). I am now going to try that trick with the polishing compound. The groupings are in about an 2" at 100 yards with Corelocks. 3-4" with Federals. Thats just resting on a bench, no leadsled or anything. It shoots very accurately, but the action feels awful and really does inhibit a quick follow-up shot.

I actually took a loss on my 770 had it for one day cleaned lubed took to range what a mess i now own a marlin xl7 cheaper then the 770 but as far as function goes its flawless. The marlin is a gun you will drag in the mud and snow rain whatever its my utility rifle

Hate to drag up a thread that's a few days old, but I have been shopping around (online) between the Remington 770 and the Savage 111FXP3. Been doing my homework and reading reviews here and elsewhere on both guns. Of course I've heard quite mixed (mostly negative) reviews on the 770. As for the Savage, people here and elsewhere rave about them! Interesting.

I went to a Dicks Sporting Goods today to check them both out. Sadly they were so packed I couldn't get helped and went to Wal-Mart. I know, I know... not the best place to shop for guns, but at least I was able to walk right up to the counter and handle the guns with no wait.

The action on the Savage felt smooth as butter. I loved it! It was what a bolt action should feel like. For a gun under $400 it reminded me of friend's more expensive hunting rigs. The bolt felt strong and sturdy, and the safty was in a good location. I even liked the Simmens scope despite what I had read about it online. I was almost sold, but I figured I had to give the Remington it's fair shake. Boy oh boy what a trip! That "thing" was horrid!! And that's being polite. Right away the bolt felt like pot metal. Heck it could have been. haha When you go to throw the bolt it didn't want to move. You had to be ever so delicate with it. Slow and dainty. Hogwash! Wasn't a fan of the scope either, but I'm gonna just stop here with the bashing.

To the OP, I still encourage you to go check out the Remington 770. Handle one. Work the action. Check out the scope. Get a feel for it. I don't know how, but you may like it. Be sure to look into a Savage 111 though. While reading through this board I was still unsure myself, but hands on experience trumps anything anyone you don't know on the other side of the country says. As for me, I'll be going with the Savage 111 FXP3. Just gotta wait till after the new year because of a move in January.

700 Vtr

So i just got another 700. the 700 VTR which I had to get due to the fact that it has a triangular barrel (I mean cmon how often does that happen?) Its chambered in .223 anyone have any opinions on this rifle? Overall I'm pretty satisfied but I was hoping for a more Hogue like feel on the stock.

I am going to have to say I like my 770 I dont even mind the scope it came with, that said the action is terrible but my trigger has almost no creep and it breaks clean around 2 pounds. When I was sighting mine using Hornaday 165gr ballistic tips I was able to get 3 shots that were touching at 100 yards. For what I got the rifle for it works, is there something else out there I am sure there is.

I thought about the Savage 111 but no matter how nice that action was it, does not out weigh my dislike of the Accu-Trigger.

Venom1956,

I thought about getting one of those this year but even the pro Remington Mags didnt give them such a great review. Their accuracy was not up to the SPS varmints so I didnt consider it an option. I really liked the look but couldnt bring myself to get one when the SPS was getting better reviews.

Oh, I dont want an SPS, I simpy decided not to get a VTR due to it not being up to the SPS accuracy standard that seemed to be out there.

J.

l just got my first remington 700 and i couldn't be happier. it's the sps tactical in .308. the bolt is a little stiff and needs to be broken in, the finish is a trifle rough, the hogue stock feels like it came from my mom's tupperware party- so, why am i happy? because for out of the box accuracy the sps tactical is hard to beat. its a tack driver at 100 yds. you'll hear about tikka and savage being accurate right out of the box, and it's true, but the remmy is right there with them. 1st day at the range , with rem. factory ammo and cleaning between each round , it was easy to keep the last 7 rounds within an inch. it took me 3 shots to dial it in. i was only able to fire 10 rounds before bad weather closed in. needless to say i cant wait till next weekend to take it out again. i've owned my share of rifles and have an old savage 110 that is very accurate, but i've never owned one that shoots as straight as this one did right from the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back