Remington 700 Varmint

Pitcher; have you heard of this "choking" near the muzzle?

The way it is stated in the article I quoted, there are "parallel" bores as well indicating terminology about barrels that are not chocked.

Pitcher; have you heard of this "choking" near the muzzle?

The way it is stated in the article I quoted, there are "parallel" bores as well indicating terminology about barrels that are not chocked.

It has been tried but, like I said, I don't know of anyone who does it anymore, on purpose.

I believe tight bores are less finicky than barrels with looser tolerances. This may not be the deliberate tight bore you are describing, but I know it's a positive for accuracy. I had a 700 VLS 223 that I could swear it had more constriction at the end of the barrel, although it may have been a flaw. I could feel it with a cleaning patch.

Longer barrels are more accurate, they're closer to the target.:D:)

I doubt you'll really notice the longer barrel from the bench. My SPS Varmint has one and it's only a problem in tight stands. I solved that though, I don't hunt in the tight stands any more.

I like the 26" barrel on my 722, it gives it balance. I prefer off hand shooting with a rifle that is slightly barrel heavy.

Back