Remington 700 Tactical is the quality today as good as it used to be

I have faith that the folks at Remington have enough pride that they will continue to turn out a wonderful product like they always have done. I think the quality is as good if not better. You have to keep in mind they make bolt action rifles from $300 to whatever. You usually get what you pay for.

I apologize for the thread drift...back to your regularly scheduled program

I am aware of who owns who etc. and etc. My question was directed at the quality of the Remington Tactical 700 heavy varmint bolt action as posted! I own Savage and love the accuracy, from a different prespective I am looking at what the majority uses for tactical purposes. Remington 700... I have the cost down to $1250 for the rifle listed in this post. Is it worth the $$$ or should I build a Savage from scratch? :D

I have faith that the folks at Remington have enough pride that they will continue to turn out a wonderful product like they always have done. I think the quality is as good if not better. You have to keep in mind they make bolt action rifles from $300 to whatever. You usually get what you pay for.

If you think this is true... Please read this thread... There is no pride.. I paid good money and got crap....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427633

Remington....concerned

I recently went through an "acquisition" by a private equity firm. One of the first things they did was lay off the QA and brand standards departments. The balance sheet was more important than quality. Seeing Cerebus buying up firearms companies gives me the willies - for a lot of reasons.

I have a .308 Remington 700 in a B&C Tactical stock that will shoot extremely well, probably as well as any Savage out there. I also have Savage rifles and in fact my Savage .223 is slightly (1/16") more accurate at 100 yds than the Remington, but the Savage barrel is only 20" as compared to the 26" barrel on the 700 and that stiffer barrel should be more accurate. As to quality, I would give a slight edge to the 700, but the edge is very slim indeed.

The m700's I have bought over the last few years have all been perfect.

Remington has released more budget models over the years, but that is what the market wants.

You cannot buy a chevette and expect cadillac quality....

I see quite a few new Remingtons come up to the range and for the most part the owners seem satisfied. Only bad report I have heard of is one that has had a ongoing bolt engagement problem even after 2 returns to the factory, the majority seem to be decent rifles and the owners are happy. On this particular model I recently saw one that was shooting 1/2 MOA during barrel break in using Hornady match ammo. Edit - looked at the pics and it was the SPS Tactical model not the one in your pics.

I am not a huge fan of Remington's and probably never own another one myself. Not because of the quality or lack thereof it's just they have no models that interest me.

Last edited:
I go back many years purchasing guns my last Remington was in the 60's, yes IMO Remington and Marlin have deteriorated that does not mean they will not function for the intended purpose but quality is lacking. Modern production process, less skilled labor,profit requirements all contribute to changes, In recent years I've had more luck with Savage and Thompson center however TC has sold out so can only guess the direction they will take. The best we can hope for in today's world of poor quality control is a good warranty....;)

The best we can hope for in today's world of poor quality control is a good warranty.

As for...
The best we can hope for in today's world of poor quality control is a good warranty....
A good warranty is only as good as the company behind it! If theses companies know that what they're building is inferior then what good is the warranty? ;) I work for a global corporation that has had it's ups and downs over the past 20 years with quality control issues. From 2005 to 2010 our products were once again built with pride in design and workmanship, with design features that made the products stand out and above our competitors. As of 2011 our largest selling product which accounts for 65% of our sales was decontented of these features to the point that I am now embarassed by what it now offers our consumers. All in the name of the once mighty $$$. Sadly in this economy and at my age I find it diffucult to change employers.
I will be purchasing a Savage model 12 in 308. :) Savage still takes pride in their products quality and workmanship and they answer the phone if and when you call. :)

Five years ago I had 4 Savage heavy barreled 'precision rifle' and 0 Remingtons. I sold two of the Savages to finance a custom Remington build, and I like it so much that I off'd a third Savage to buy an older 700P that I found on consignment for $500. So, the score is now Remington 2 and Savage 1, and I seriously doubt that the score will ever fall back into Savage's favor. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Remington.

Remington rifles are junk as far as I am concerened...I will go up against any rifle with my savage...I have tried the rem.But nothing shot like a Savage...

Based on my recent experience, I think that Remington's quality has declined recently. I bought a basic 700 ADL 30-06 in 1997 that would shoot one inch groups at 100 yards and never failed to function. This Summer I traded it in toward a Model Seven in 7mm-08 that had to be sent back to the factory due to head space issues (after firing it was nearly impossible to cycle the bolt). Undeterred, I bought a Remington 597 .22 semi-auto rifle this Fall. On the third shot it threw the extractor plunger and would not cycle. The factory sent a new bolt and told me to install it myself. After trying to mount after market sights I learned that both the front sights and receiver dovetails were machined off-center so the rifle could not be zeroed. I am sending this rifle back to the factory and demanding a refund.

I realize that many in this forum have recently purchased 700s that have performed flawlessly, as my ADL did. I hope my experiences were an aberration but cannot get past the fact that two Remington products bought three months apart failed to function and had to be sent back to the factory. This saddens me since I loved my ADL and had planned on buying other Remington products over the years.

I traded-in my Model Seven toward a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. I wanted a TC Venture, but they are under recall for trigger sear issues and the factory could not tell me when rifles would be back in stores.

I have been thinking about a new rifle, but its kind of hard to justify.

My Grandad's old Remington 721 (1949 vintage), is still going strong. Old, beat up, nicked, rusty, but still accurate as a lightening bolt and as rugged as a sledge hammer. And no, the Walker trigger doesn't go off when I take the safety off, no matter who many times I have tried to trick it.

Remington SPS Varmint

in .204 Ruger. Not the top of the line, by any means. I like the appearance of the gun. Two things:
1. Trigger was not adjustable according to the manufacturer. Of course, there are numerous sources about "how to adjust a Remington700 trigger." I figured I would just do that. Wrong. One of the adjustment screws was locked so tight that the allen head stripped out. Replaced with Timney for $120.00 The "Accutrigger" comes with most Savages and is included in the price. That was a bit disturbing.
2. Rounds don't feed for beans. Well, if I send the darn thing back to Remington to fix the feeding problem, they replace the trigger (that I paid for) and put an identical piece of crap back on the rifle. So, I can take it to the smithy or put up with this little annoyance.

If I had it to do over there would be a CZ 204 Ruger in the safe instead.

I have a 700 Tactical in 6.8SPC with 110grain SMK reloads will shoot 3/8's MOA.

I also has a 700 LTR in 6.8SPC that grouped about the same.

I have a Remington 700 LTR in 308 cal. 20" brl. 1 in 12 twist. 168 gr sierra HPBT bullet. My best 5 shot group at 100 yards was through the same hole. I kept the target. I love the weapon. 200 yards average 1/2 - 1". I did change the trigger to a jewell. Only use my LTR for target shooting. Good luck & be SAFE.

Remington 700 223

I've been looking into buying a new Remington 700 223, also other 223 caliber rifles. Tikka, Savage, Weatherby. I noticed many of these rifles have a synthetic stock and a Palomar trigger guard. Does anybody know of any manufacturer using metal guards? or do I have to purchase one to replace it. :eek:

Back