Remington 700 Tactical is the quality today as good as it used to be

blacksky

Looking at buying this package. I own several Savage bolt rifles, but have been looking at Remington as of late. Is the quality of the Remington products today as good as it used to be?

I'm looking at this custom package:

Model 700 Chambered in 308
20 MOA Extended Scope Base
Harris 9-12" Bipod
26" Heavy Varmint Barrel 1-12 Twist
Black Matte Finish
B&C Tactical A5 Adjustable Stock (Choice Of Color)
X-Mark Adjustable Trigger
Wyatt 5 Or 10 Round Detachable Magazine
$1400

Attachments

• pix904371326.jpg
    pix904371326.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 89
  • pix598010000.jpg
    pix598010000.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 50
  • pix256875308.jpg
    pix256875308.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I can't speak to that particular model, and every rifle's gonna be different.
But, I think you'll find very little disagreement on any precision shooting forum that Remington's quality has gone in one direction, and Savage's in the opposite...you guess which one's which...

"Out-of-the-box", I believe Savage makes a more accurate rifle. Their floating bolthead design is a plus in my book. Now, I'm not knocking the Rem. 700 as we own a couple and they're a fine rifle- I just think they've dropped the ball when it comes to giving the customers what they want. Take a look at Savage's new offerings- then look at Remington.

Hell, they don't even offer a rifle in .260 anymore- and they developed it.

I have a remington tactical .308 with a leupold tactical AR scope. It's pretty awsome. I shot a walmart remington 700 243 this weekend. A buddy of mine picked it up for less than $350. I came with a scope I couldn't identify. I started to get it on paper at 40 yds and I could stack shots so that was suprising. I then shot at 100 yds I was grouping the size of a 50 cent peice with that cheap ass monarch ammo. Basically Remington accuracy out of the box is above and beyond any other guns I have had.

Go for it!!!

I can't speak to that particular model, and every rifle's gonna be different.
But, I think you'll find very little disagreement on any precision shooting forum that Remington's quality has gone in one direction, and Savage's in the opposite...you guess which one's which...

"Out-of-the-box", I believe Savage makes a more accurate rifle. Their floating bolthead design is a plus in my book. Now, I'm not knocking the Rem. 700 as we own a couple and they're a fine rifle- I just think they've dropped the ball when it comes to giving the customers what they want. Take a look at Savage's new offerings- then look at Remington.

See the post on then and now.... And my NEW Remington is one of the finest firearms I've ever purchased. I can shoot with any Savage made. And it looks 100 times better then a Savage which appears to be missing the bolt parts behind the handle... :D

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471254

Last edited:
I think you'll find very little disagreement on any precision shooting forum that Remington's quality has gone in one direction, and Savage's in the opposite...you guess which one's which...

I have owned a few Remington 700s and a few Savages. I personally think they are on about the same level when it comes to "out of the box accuracy" but, the Remington is by far the superior quality built rifle. The Savages are built as cheaply as possible. To get a Remington 700 with the same fit and finish as the nicer Savage models, you have to buy the cheapest of the Remingtons. There is no way you are going to convince me that Savage makes anything nearly as nice as the CDLs and some of the other high end Remingtons. I looked at a Savage 114 Classic the other day and it was pretty nice, but still not a CDL, or even a BDL.

I have heard people say that the quality of Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin etc have gone down since being bought out by Freedom Group but, I know for a fact that with Bushmaster at least, this in far from the truth. The Bushmasters sold today are far superior in quality to those sold before the acquisition. :p:p:p:p:p

One more thing, the out of the box accuracy of Savage rifles is something that some of us have known about for many years. Long before AccuTriggers or Accustocks. Just because the cat is finally out of the bag so to speak, and some people are just now figuring it out in no way diminishes the quality or accuracy of a Remington 700.

Last edited:
slappys right on. Remember. The Remington DESIGN has always been considered one of the best ever and a huge reason why Remingtons are so inherently accurate. And why our military has used them for years as sniper rifles. Just like the Savage barrel, nut design which helps them get almost perfect headspace. I don't understand why there only has to be ONE good design and ONE good shooting rifle and ONE well made rifle. Is this some law of physics I've missed somewhere? :confused::D

I dont have one nor have a shot one but hey, I will tell you to look at the TC Icon Warlord if you want a tactical long range .308 out of the box. I seen a buddy on the range and wow, that thing shot 1" to 300 yards and by no means were the shooters professional

Didn't say anything about what Remington has done with Marlin. Remington doesn't own Marlin, Freedom Group owns Remington, Marlin Bushmaster and some others. I was speaking directly to the quality of Bushmaster and how it has improved over the last 5 or 6 years. I didn't say anything specifically about Marlin, but while were on the subject lets face facts, Marlin has always been a low budget firearm company.

http://www.freedom-group.com/

Last edited:
Nope...Remington owns Marlin, FGI owns Remington.

Whatever. The point is I never said anything about the quality of Marlin. And regardless of who bought who and when, they are all now owned by Freedom Group.

Last edited:
Its the company structure....

Freedom Group owns Remington, Remington owns Marlin, Marlin owns LC Smith and others...

Its semantics when it comes down to it...but its still fact.

Last edited:
The bottom line being...Marlin lever actions are now made in Ilion, NY...Remingtons factory.

I apologize for the thread drift...back to your regularly scheduled program :)

Not arguing the point about who owns who, I changed my previous post after I saw your link. Point is, like I said, I have never personally felt that Marlin was a high quality firearm regardless of who owned it. I do however feel that the quality of Bushmaster has greatly improved over the last several years. I don't know if that has anything to do with Freedom group or not. Since most of these companies are still operating as separate entities, I kind of doubt it means much either way.

Last edited:
Back