Remington 700 Stock Upgrade

JonM

I'm looking to upgrade my Rem 700 .308. The stock is on the top of my list. I was looking at the chaote ultimate varmiter and thought that was what I was going to get, but after getting a chance to look at one and handle it in person I think I'll pass. It seems to be a well built stock and no doubt better than the stock the gun came with, but I wasn't impressed with the feel or looks. I don't think I would be happy with it long term and I only want to buy 1. Now I'm looking at the HS Precision thumbhole or the Bell & Carlson A5. I don't know of anywhere locally to look at them so I figured I would ask my friends here that have either what their thoughts are. What did you think of the fit and finish? Was there really much difference in accuracy?

Also, if anyone has either of these stocks that they would be willing to part with I am looking to buy.

Thanks,
Jon

Do you have a heavy barreled 700, or a sporter?

What do you intend to use the gun for?

Personally, I just don't like the looks of the HS Precision Thumbhole stocks, I would much prefer one of their stocks without the thumbhole. I do however, like the B&C A5 stock. I got a chance to shoot one with a 700 chambered for .260 Rem, and now it is on my list as an upgrade for my Remington 700 Varmint .308.

Got a straight up plain Jane medalist on my 7mm08 700 Varmint and love it. Didn't cost a whole lot and its heads and shoulders above the factory stock.

Myself and a friend both bought the VSSF Rem. 700's in .308 when they first hit the market, using Fed. GMM we could keep our groups at 1/2"-3/4" all day at 100 yards. He bought one of the choate ultimate sniper stocks and we swapped it, dialed it back in and it would shoot one ragged hole all the time.

If I still had the rifle I wouldn't hesitate using that stock, for the price its hard to beat.

I put a Boyds laminated stock on my Ruger 77 Mk II all-weather to replace the ugly paddle stock. I also had a gunsmith pillar and glass bed it and free float the barrel. It was a shooter before but now it's got to be one of the best shooting 77's on the planet. When I'm shooting well I can put them all in one hole at 100 yards from the bench (3 shot group under calm wind and good conditions). This isn't bad for a .300 Win Mag.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Thumbhole-Replacement-Stocks-for-Remington-s/57.htm

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a group when I'm only shooting so-so. Still well under an inch.

attachment.php

Attachments

• agoody.jpg
    agoody.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 529
  • agoody2.jpg
    agoody2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 510
  • agoody3.jpg
    agoody3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
I have 3 model 700's, and one of them had a scratched up black plastic stock that I wasn't happy with. So I bought a Boyds Thumbhole featerweight stock. I really like it, it came fully inletted and barreled action dropped right in perfect. It looks great, and feels good when shouldered and being laminated its much more rigid than a regular walnut stock.
DSCF1287.jpg

That's a sweet looking Remington you have there!! How does it shoot? I had to have my Boyds pillar and glass bedded and the barrel free floated to get it to shoot.

Warbirdlover, Yours looks pretty nice too. And those are some nice groups from that Ruger. As for mine, I only shot it to sight it in, and the group was about 1 1/4", I 'm sure it will do better, I haven't tried working up a load for it yet, just don't get to the range as often as I would like. I have a mod.700 in 243 that I got recently with the plastic stock that I want to get another thumbhole for it. That one is gonna be pepper like yours.

My gun is a 26" heavy barrel varmit. Eventually I would like to get to the 1000 yrd range. So far 350yrds is the furthest I have shot. That was about a 4inch group. Not quite MOA but that was off a bipod with Federal GMM. I'm sure the gun will out shoot me anyways. I've adjusted the factory trigger down on the weight and I have a decent scope so I believe the stock is the weakest link.

I ended up ordering the Medalist A2. I figured I can space the recoil pad if I want to lengthen the LOP and a buddy of mine said he has made several of the adjustable cheek pieces if I want one. With the $200 I saved I ordered a PTG magwell and an AICS 5 rnd mag. Now the wait is on... :D

I have a B&C Medalist A5, glass-bedded, on my Rem 700 SPS-Varmint in .308. It is comfortable, the weight soaks up recoil and I've been totally pleased with it. I got mine from Stockys' stocks. Excellent customer service. Good prices.

FH

PS-I've put B&C Medalist Sporter stocks on a Rem 700 SPS SS in .308 and a Rem 700 XCR II in .375 H&H. The latter got the Weatherby-style stock with Monte Carlo and cast-off to help with recoil. Delighted all the way around.

I put a B&C Medalist A2 on my 700 AAC-sd which seems to perform very good. The comb of the stock seems like it sits pretty high cause I have to cram my cheek into the comb in order to get my eye low enough to see through my scope. The only rings to fit at the shop where I bought the gun were DNZ one piece base/ring combo and the scope is a Weaver t36. I'm guessing, what I need is a little taller set of rings shooting from the bench. I'm not sure, if he put low or medium rings on cause he through the package away. I hate to have to get different rings and maybe a picatinny rail after paying $50.00 for the DNZs but, may not have a choice. :(

Should I expect much difference in accuracy with a stiffer stock?

Anyone have any advice on doing the ADL to DBM conversion?

Thanks,
Jon

Back