Remington 700 SPS vs Weatherby vanguard

T-Ball

Inactive
I am wondering what one is a better gun. What one has a smoother bolt, which one shoots better. Which one has a better trigger and any other things that are good or bad on either gun.

The answer to your question is very subjective. Both are very serviceable rifles. The first magnum centerfire I bought was a MDl 700ADL, 7mag, in 1976. The last centerfire I bought is a Weatherby Vanguard, 300WBY, in 06 The biggest difference between them is that the Howa/Vanguard has an integral recoil lug, machined into the receiver, and the bolt is vented. The Rem has a washered recoil lug. Rem, Savage, others now use washered recoil lugs, and are probably as strong as they need to be, but are designed in an effort to reduce time and materials, so making the product cheaper to produce. The factory target on the Vanguard is about .7". The best I ever was able to load for the 7mag was 1.5" 5 shot group. You will many more after market parts for MDL 700, it's like the chevy small block of rifles. I used to be a big Remington admirer, historically they have been at times quite innovative, in their cartridge and firearms designs. I will try to attach a cropped copy of the Vanguard target. These are both accurate and tough.

Attachments

• target.jpg
    target.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 330
Neither is better. The SPS is a lower end entry level rifle. Mind you, so is a Vanguard. Both have adjustable triggers. It's really the difference between Ford and GM. Which one do you like better?

I have a SPS. It is a lower-end rifle, but I replaced the stock with a B&C, put a good Nikon scope on it, and it shoots nicely. Good trigger, which other people seem to agree with. Can't speak to the Weatherby....

My Vanguard's bolt runs far smoother than any Remington I've worked with, and I prefer both its larger extractor and its angled venting ports that direct gas from a ruptured shell out through the ejection "port" rather than down into the magazine.
Trigger's fine on mine.
I'm not saying it's better than a Remington, but of the two brands when I was looking for one single .308 boltgun last year, the Vanguard was it. It may get a B&C stock on it some day, it may stay as it is. Shoots about 1 1/2 inches with good commercial ammunition at 100 yards now, which is all I need that gun to do.
Denis

I have a 700VLS in .308. I bought a B&C stock but I ordered the wrong one so, it didn't fit me comfortably. However, it did fit my son. He has a .308 in PSP, so we swapped stocks. Mine has a Weaver 4X fixed power that shoots very tight groups using 168gr Federal Match or my hand loaded Barnes 168gr X bullets. I use it for targets and pig hunting.

FWIW- I always used variable power scopes but realized I always shot using the lowest power when hunting. Thus, I have started using fixed power scopes for targets and hunting. I have found that the fixed power scopes usually have larger exit pupils, meaning more light through the glass. It hasn't affected performance or results, they are still good. It does save me anywhere from $200 to $500 on glass... Use the difference to buy a good pair of binoculars for hunting or a spotting scope for target shooting...

The bolt on my ole 700 is about as smooth as they come, and it's always been a shooter, I bought a Weatherby Vanguard this February, it's still alittle tight, as I've only shot 20 rds through it. The Weatherby; I put a Leupold 4x12x40 VXII on Leupold bases and mounts, like I said I've only fired 20rds of Hornady Customm 139 gr. (it's a 7mm. Rem. Mag.) at fifty yards, and it grouped tight. I will take it to the range ( hopefully this week), and prove it at 100yds and get it ready for deer season. That 700 is a 3006 It's floated, and has a Simmons 3x9x40 Pro-Hunter T.V. Lense on Millet bases and rings. It has a true afinity for IMR 4350 and 150 gr. ballistic tips. These are both fine rifles in their own rite, I'm also falling in love with the Savages!!!!!!
Whichever you may choose, you'll probably like it.. Happy shootin dude!!!!

Thanks for coming!:cool:

One is made by your fellow AMERICANS , the other is not ! So the difference is not like Ford or GM it's like Ford versus Toyota ! There are only two kinds of people in this country , those that are part of the problem ( Howa (Vanguard , Toyota ) and those that are part of the soloution ( Ford , Remington )

Buy quality because it's the intelligent thing to do or buy an inferior product because you happen to live where it's made. Tough decision. :rolleyes:

Like I said , there's only two kinds of Americans , Exporting U.S. Dollars is not the intelligent thing to do . alibi all you want !

I would be happy and proud to buy an American rifle if they weren't inferior and overpriced. The state of the American work ethic troubles me plenty, OldSAP, I have finally resolved that I respect more the ethic to produce quality, than I do the geographical mishap that made some slob a Union machinist for Remington. I started lamenting in the 70's when suddenly you couldn't buy a television made in America, anymore. I admire the Japanese attitude that the quality of your work, reflects upon you spiritually, to produce an inferior product is a loss of honor. I have observed union labor actively damage damage product when annoyed with management. To get what i would call an American rifle to really be proud of will cost upward of two grand, for a Cooper, or a Weatherby MKV, among some other small batch rifleers. I wish Remington was what it was in 1976, when I bought my first MDL 700!

Sap,
My contenders were Remington, Ruger, and the Vanguard.
I dislike the Remington extractor, the Ruger Hawkeye I tried had a rough action that would have cost me more money to correct, the Vanguard was smooth out of the box & had an extractor I like plus what I consider a better gas venting location. It only needed mounts & glass.
I tried a Savage with the new trigger, it annoys me.
Was considering a new Winchester, could not get my hands on one in the configuration I wanted & I'm hearing mixed reviews on accuracy.

So, after looking at the four leading US rifle makers, I chose the Japanese rifle because it had most of what I was looking for, and the quality (as usual with the Japanese-made guns) was more than acceptable.

I generally buy domestic in firearms, but if a foreign gun in a particular area works out better for my needs, I will not short myself to buy a domestic product if the domestic makers' products don't give me what I want.

In this case, the Vanguard was a superior choice, for ME and what I was looking for.
I feel no shame in choosing it.
You spend your money & I'll spend mine. :)
Denis

DPris, Your money, your decision. And oldsap, how many foreign rifles do you own? That's why we like the U.S. Freedom Of Choice!!! Thanks to all service men and women BTW!;)

P.S. There's no way you can spend every cent of your doe, buying american!!

DPris, more power to you. I just bought an NY made Remington that is the most accurate rifle I own, but I drive a Japanese car made of 90% Japanese parts. I chose the Rem 700 SPS tactical 20" 308 over the Howa 20" 308 because I read some reviews that it is slightly lighter in weight and some said more accurate.

I agree, it comes down to the value and the features that you want. I try my hardest to buy American, but sometimes it is just not worth it. That's whats great about a free market. Look at cars - Japanese competion forced the big 3 to catch up in quality and they did. Ford and GM are now at the top in quality. I just wish they would make the products here in the US, which is a whole different topic.

buy what you feel most comfortable with
i like the Remingtons but if i found a Weatheby that fit me well and i liked i wouldnt hesitate to buy it if i wanted
it always cracks me up when people start talkin about buying american and all that jazz...take your big 3 car manufactures...i work at a Ford GM and Chrysler dealer....do you guys honestly think these vehicles are "made" here? they are assembled here but thats it....look at 90% of the parts on your ford gm or chrysler....they are Mexico,japan and so on. there isnt many things we use or own these days that are all american.. i wish there was..just the way it is now days

In my statements above, I'll reiterate that my choice was my choice, based on my own preferences & experiences, and I'm not knocking Remington rifles. :)
That particular Vanguard decision was to fill the slot (after divesting myself of other .308s by Remington, Ruger, and Savage & shooting different sample .308s) for one single .308 boltgun with a smooth out of the box action, decent accuracy, a 20-inch barrel, and reasonably light weight.
The beefy extractor was a factor, and I do like the side venting if needed as opposed to the more traditional gas venting into the magazine.
The recoil pad is also usable & doesn't need replacing like I do on most factory pads.
I'm not normally much of a fan of the high Weatherby stock profile & cheekpiece, but have to admit this gun works well with my longer neck than some other traditional stocks.
Price was not a huge factor, but the Vanguards are bargains in that area.

In my case, and I'm not suggesting the decision should be the same for anybody else, it works. I've owned two Remingtons & test-fired others over the years. If that's your preference, great.

On the "Stay American" thing, it's a nice sentiment, but shouldn't become a religion. :)
I'm a vet, too, but I don't let that get in the way of what I need, and if America doesn't make it, I'll cheerfully look elsewhere.

Denis

I love the overall qualities of my Vanguard!!!! for what it is, It's a cool tool I'll use to connect with a big deer this season.....It's worse than a kid waiting for Xmas morn!.:D

I own a grand total of 0 foreign made rifles . Labor unions have been a cancer eating away at the U.S. economy since the great depression . No high school drop out should be paid thirty something dollars per hour for bolting wheels on cars or screwing stocks onto rifles . Who did the Unions endorse in the last election ? I'm aware that I'm a long ways from the topic of this thread but every now and then I have to speak my piece . I can't stand Liberals , they will be the ruination of this country , along with corporate hogs who will sell out anybody for a buck . I do believe we are between the proverbial rock and the hard place , I'm loosing hope for us .

I've owned several Remington Mdl 700's but not a SPS. I have 3 Vanguard's currently.

I liked the Remington's but I prefer the action design of the Vanguard's.
Dallas Jack

Back