Remington 700 SPS Tactical or Savage Model 10 FP - .308

Jimro,

not all remingtons are 1:12 (most are)

several of the 700 PSS and P rifles are 1:11 or 1:11.25 from the factory. These are older rifles (mine are both from early 2000).

Also, the type of rifling makes a heck of a difference, not just the twist rate. I prefer a 3 poly if I have my choice, but next up is 4 or 5 groove enfiled style (some will see this advertised as 5R and is nothing new, just a new twist on marketing an old style of rifling).

One must remember that the 1-10" twist on a .30 cal was cooked up for 220 grain round noses out of Krag-Jorgensens (which were 30/06)

Having that kind of spin on a .308 won't hurt anything, but it isn't patently necessary.

UniversalFrost,

Thank you, but I was only referring to the current models.

Also Krag-Jorgenson's were never chambered for 30-06, they were chambered for 30-40 Krag, a different beast entirely. Although both rounds have been referred to as "30 US" so there is some confusion. You'd have a bad day if you chambered a KJ for 30-06.

Jimro

you will see some of the earlier 30/06 testing was done with the Krag actions and due to the weakness of the action the loads were on the weak side.

not very powerful (about on par with 303 brit), but a few 30/06 krags are out there (most at the NRA museum).

UniversalFrost,

In that case they would be 30-03, not 30-06 as the Springfield 1903 was the service rifle at the time of adoption by the 30-06, AND they would never have been an issue rifle. The only reference I can find to 30-06 Krags were converted Norwegian two lug variants.

Hell, there are 5 45ACP Lugers floating around in the world, but that doesn't mean it was ever issued as a service pistol :P

Jimro

never said it was an issue rifle, I said that it was used to test the 30/06 chambering. and I have personally seen a couple of the 30/06's on my visit back east to the museum (last month).

nice guns, but I personally would not shoot 06' in a krag ..

Back