Remington 700 scope mount question

I have been taking my pic rail bases off of my long range rifles and going with Hybrid rings from Hawkins Precision. Lighter, better. I use a dot of Red Gel Locktite on each screw.

But they don't make 1" tube rings. As a second choice, look at the DNZ. One piece mount. 1" with 20 MOA is about $100 and a better set up for a hunting rig.

https://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-remington-3/

If you ever want to remove those screw's be prepared to got to a gunsmith and have him do it. DON"T USE RED LOCKTITE! Voice of experience!

as a hunting rifle

I don't see the need for any type of picatinny rail on a sporter to be used on the game you describe with the scope you have in your possession. Two piece bases of aluminum may be a bit lighter, and steel bases might be a bit stronger and resist abuse better. Take your pick. There are some who believe that a one piece base stiffens the action and aids accuracy, on a box stock sporter the advantage offered may not be significant enough to really matter when shooting at game under 300 yds.

I don't care for Weaver rings, especially the old style with the big nut/slottted screw on the side. To me their ugly and spoil the lines of the rifle. I've become a fan of the Burris Zee rings, mainly due to their sleek, stylish lines.

I have EGW rails on 5 700s and a 788 and they are spectacular. I have replaced my Nikon scopes with Vortex and highly recommend their Pro Picatinny Rings. All of my EGW are 0 MOA because I'm not shooting 1000 yards. I also recommend the Wheeler Torque driver. The Vortex rings list the torque setting for base and rings. I confess that I do use a drop of blue Loctite on the rings.

Back