Remington 700 Police .308 (My Dream Come True)

I will conclude my "dream" 700 Police post with a final picture. This is a 3-shot group in stiff wind, where my scope (As cheap as it is) and barrel are finally dialed-in.

3shotsondot.jpg

Now back to livin' the dream. :)

Something that I have found in all of my rifles is if I run a patch soaked in oil after cleaning and then a dry patch I won't have a "flier". You may want to try it if you aren't already. I used to clean, clean, clean and then shoot. Bang, "flier" and then I read somewhere to run an oil soaked patch and then a dry one to lube up the barrel before shooting and what do ya know!

I remember now! It was Darrel Holland on his you tube videos where I learnt about this. If you have time you tube him and watch his videos.

I used to always foul my barrel before going hunting.. Not no more! :-)

Those are nice rifles. I have a older PSS in 308 and it shoots like a house on fire. That said they tend to have long throats and benefit from handloading.

This thread is making me want this rifle.

What are the benefits or better features of this rifle as opposed to other 700 models?

Remington has the $100 rebate on select 700's and this wouldnt qualify.

What are the benefits or better features of this rifle as opposed to other 700 models?

The R700 Police comes with extras that most of the 700 line does not have.

Features like:

• The better 40X trigger system... much improved over the standard or X-Mark Pro systems
  • Full receiver length bedding block (aircraft aluminum)... Most have basic pillar bedding
  • Parkerized 26" barrel... Not painted like most non SS barrels
  • H-S Precision stock reinforced with Du Pont Kevlar and fiberglass... Not the standard Hogue-like composite materials

These are all items that you would have to buy and build-up from a standard model like the SPS.

It seems at times we purchase a rifle to simply satisfy some random whim, but then there are those few times where our dreams and reality merge, where the excitement is beyond words. Congratulations man. Oh mine? Mine is a Remington 700 6.8SPC Tactical. It isn't quite where I want it but it is getting there. Best of luck.

@gglass

I almost missed it - Wind 18 MPH - was it a tailwind? Hitting a dime at 100 yards with a full factor wind like that is, well, incredible.

The bad news is, its not the rifle, its the shooter. Oh the rifle is excellent to be sure, but the rifle won't give you the wind dope.

This is my best 100 yard Sub-MOA group from my Remington 700 Police .308 Win. This is a 3-shot group, which measures 0.263 MOA (measured with calipers), and done with 15 mph winds.

0375moa.jpg

Platform:
finishedr700p1.jpg

Ike666
I almost missed it - Wind 18 MPH - was it a tailwind? Hitting a dime at 100 yards with a full factor wind like that is, well, incredible.

Ike - I can only post the wind speed given by my local up-to-the-minute weather report online for my zip code. What I cannot factor, is the actual wind speed at the range where I do all my shooting. The primary reason for this is that there are dirt berms on either side of the range that tend to buffet the straight-line wind into swirling eddies. There is wind to be sure, but it is often hard to gauge its true speed and direction. I also don't list the gust speed of the wind.

Last edited:
Gotta love the 700P! The rattle-can job is my first, I think it needs a re-do:

Code:
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/gdvan01/Painted%20700P/

Back