Remington 700 Police .308 (My Dream Come True)

gglass

Dreams really do come true!

With the convergence of circumstances, I have finally been able to purchase a Remington 700P (Police) in .308 Win, one of my dream guns. Those converged forces being a decent bonus check, a local dealer's sale and a loving wife's approval. I have wanted a 700P since it was called the 700PSS (Police Sharp Shooter). This is the version of the Remington 700 that would turn me into a covetous sinner, in every movie or TV show that showed a LEO or military sharpshooter taking aim at a foe.

myr700police.jpg

Why is the Remington 700 Police more of a dream rifle than other 700's or other brands? The Remington 700P adds features to the base 700 that should cost MUCH more than it does, but Remington has kept the cost down to make it affordable to LE agencies.

Features like:
  • Barrel: A Heavy parkerized 26" bull-barrel with a 1 in 12 twist
  • Stock: A H-S Precision stock reinforced with Du Pont Kevlar and fiberglass
  • Bedding: The stock is laid up around an aircraft-grade aluminum bedding block that runs up the entire length of the receiver
  • Trigger: Remington's best 40-X trigger system (Not all 700P's or PSS's come with this trigger system)

Don't ask what glass I'm using... OK! Fine! I'm using a Center Point 4x16x40 until I can afford a Kahles Helia CL scope... More dreams.

I'll post some range results soon.

Sometimes, life really is but a dream...

Let us know how it shoots. I have the ADL Varmint and with the crappy stock I get .59moa with my handloads.

Congrads, Sometime getting what you want is difficult.
I know of a LE department that purchased 18 PSS's off the shelf. In test firing the worst one shot 1.25 MOA. That's pretty consistent. The aluminum bedding system works.
I found the factory stock to be horribly uncomfortable so I restocked to a wood. But that's me.
Hope yours shoots well.

David

The Dream Continues!

I could not be happier with this new 700P. Even though I am still breaking in the barrel, which is a long and arduous process, I was still able to get some accuracy testing in. The group below 3-shot group was at the end of a 20 shot break-in session, and I was shocked at the result.

My break-in process is as follows:

• First 10 shots - Clean the barrel between each shot with copper solvent, Hoppes #9 and then Ammonia free Windex. This takes dozens of patches on each cleaning.
  • Second 20 Shots - Clean the barrel between each 2 shots, with the same procedure as above. This is where I ended my range time today.
  • Third 50 Shots - Clean the barrel between each 5 shots, with the same procedure as above. I will complete this next week, and then the barrel will be broken in.

101710dimegroup.jpg

If I am dreaming... Don't wake me up!

FYI: It should really like 168gr. FGMM(Federal Gold Medal Match) ammo starting out. Save the brass. Then to save money and have even better accuracy get into reloading if you don't already. That way you can really find out what she'll do. You'll find 155gr Sierras with 43gr. of Varget behind them will do well also. If you use cheap ammo (the Winchester 180gr stuff at Walmart) you will be disappointed in the accuracy as well as bruised but don't let that get you down! 180gr is a little on the heavy side for 1:12" and cheap ammo isn't very accurate anyway. Once again... Enjoy!

Well... You posted your results while I was typing so now I look like a knucklehead!!!

Nice shooting BTW!

Last edited:
By the way... Don't waste too much time and effort Breaking-in your barrel. It's an unnecessary process and was invented in the interest of selling more barrels. FWIW...

Breaking in your barrel.

I personally am of the opinion that breaking in your barrel is a little bit of a myth. However! this presents and excellent opportunity to shed some "scientific" (VERY loosely used of course! :D) evidence on it.

Since we've got this group shot after the first thirty shots, we could compare it to a group shot after 80 shots(which is the number you said would finish your break in process).

I would be very interested to see if there's a difference. One, because I find it very hard to believe that an off the shelf rifle will shoot any better than that on factory ammunition (and I say that as a compliment, cause that's an awesome group--better than anything I've ever shot!!). Two, as I mentioned, I just have not seen any actual data/group comparison to support the idea of barrel break-in procedures helping.

So what do you say? :)

So what do you say?

I also think that the breakin process could be a myth, but my reasoning for doing it is simply... What could it hurt? I have always broken in rifle barrels, and other than the slow process in the beginning, it hasn't seemed to have a negative effect. It may also have a placebo effect of making me feel like my barrel is as accurate as it can be. True or not, it does have a comforting effect.

I'll let you know how it groups at the end of the break-in process. Stay tuned...

What could it hurt? I have always broken in rifle barrels, and other than the slow process in the beginning, it hasn't seemed to have a negative effect.

Very fair. And considering when I'm shooting for really tight groups I generally wait about 3 minutes between shots, cleaning the barrel wouldn't add time anyway.

I certainly don't intend to sway you from your breaking in process--to each his own. Just seems like a good opportunity is all.

I have a 700P in .308. Mine does NOT like any form of 150-155 gr. bullet.

It just does not shoot worth a crap. Put 168-178 Noslers, SMK, or Bergers and set them about -.065 off the lands and the rifle really wakes up.

The lighter bullets just do not do well in my rifle.

Geetarman:D

I have a 700P in .308. Mine does NOT like any form of 150-155 gr. bullet.

It just does not shoot worth a crap. Put 168-178 Noslers, SMK, or Bergers and set them about -.065 off the lands and the rifle really wakes up.

The lighter bullets just do not do well in my rifle.

Geetarman

I researched this rifle for years, and one thing that seemed to be a constant fact was that 150gr bullets don't perform nearly as well as the 168 and 175gr varieties. As I am not reloading "yet", I decided to only shoot Federal Gold Medal 168gr, unless I discovered that those too had a problem. Today I found that my rifle really likes the Federal 168gr, so I am purchasing a case from a local dealer tomorrow. That dealer has a sale going through the end of the month and the Federal GM's are $17.99 per box... The dream continues. :D

What, not a single comment about the scope????
How is it holding up for you. Not making fun, I have one also.

What, not a single comment about the scope????
How is it holding up for you. Not making fun, I have one also.

As mentioned at the beginning, I had to go with this scope because my loving wife's approval only goes so far. :D I will eventually replace it with glass that does the rifle justice. Just imagine... With better glass, that pic above might have been one hole. :D

This particular scope is holding up very well considering that it came from a well used SA M1A SOCOM 16. It still holds true as evidenced by the afore mentioned pic. I'm sure that the lower quality glass would really start to show its weakness in low light situations, like an early morning deer hunt.

With an expensive scope you are able to make accurate range estimations and then set the scope based on that. Inexpensive scopes will generally hold POA but not track too well. Believe me, I have a hard time spending $1000+ on a scope but there really is a difference.

I use a ballistics calculator and a good scope will also track perfectly to my calculator.

Not sure why you wouldn't expect good results from 155's. I thought it was pretty commonly known that 1:12" doesn't stabilize heavier rounds very well. While 168 is hardly what you would call "heavy", it is getting close to the high side for 1:12". I have a 40X in 7.62NATO (.308) that shoots dime-sized groups at 300yds with 155's... But maybe I just haven't found that perfect load for 168's. It does OK with FGMM 168's but better with lighter pills. FWIW...

oneshot,

I have shot reloads and factory loads of 150-155 gr. bullets from several sources and have yet to find one that shoots good.

My rifle just does not like them. Factory loads or handloads at 165-175 gr. just work fine.

On the other hand, surplus 7.62 ammo from Lithuania,Germany and WWB shoot fine in my M1A and LR308. Those are all 147 gr. bullets.

I am going to the range Friday and just got some more German ammo. I need to try that in the bolt gun and see how it does.

I understand some R700s don't have a problem, but mine does.

Just some of the oddities of shooting. . .

Geetarman:D

Amen to that! I guess it just depends on what bullet you spend the most time developing as well as the likes and dislikes of your particular rifle.

Cheers...

I can hear Aerosmith singing "Dream on" in the back of my head.

I finally finished the break-in process of my barrel... Wise or not, it is now done. I can only say that I am uber-happy with the way this Remington 700 P performs. Below is the final 5-shot group as I ended the break-in process, and I have to say that I am more than pleased.

101910dimegroup.jpg

What does it mean when the flyer hits your POA? :rolleyes:

Nice!
I always used the federal 168gr MBTHP's and they performed well.

I still have over a hundred rounds left-after I sold mine.

Back