Remington 700 or Remington 770

The last 770 I saw at the range wouldn't chamber .270 factory ammo.
I'd pass on it.
There's too many good,bargain rifles out there right now to risk getting the 770.
The various Savage 11/111 packages at places like Dicks or Academy, Rem 700 SPS, Stevens 200s, Howa 1500s, Marlin XL7s or XS7s are all better options for the same price range.

have yall seen that remington xcr ii? that thing sounds pretty gnarly!!
shot outa the cannon, would u prefer hinged,detachable, or blind magazine?

Blind or hinged floor plate doesn't matter to me, I'll use either. The hinged floor plate is a little more convenient for getting the unfired rounds out of the magazine when done hunting. With the blind magazine you have to work the bolt to get all the rounds out of the magazine, just make sure you keep your finger off the trigger and it pointed in a safe direction.

I really liked the XCR that I handled at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. The XCR's coating on the metal seemed to make the moving parts work more smoothly. I didn't buy one as I found an old FN .30-06 to buy instead of the XCR, but if I was going to hunt in a really wet area like the North West up to coastal Alaska it would be one to seriously consider.

taylor, you forgot to mention that some of the hinged floorplates have releases that can be snagged by brush and dump the load without you knowing.

More common with older rifles, still a consideration.

taylor, you forgot to mention that some of the hinged floorplates have releases that can be snagged by brush and dump the load without you knowing.

More common with older rifles, still a consideration.

Didn't mention it because it has never happened to me nor any of my friends that I can recall. Same thing could possibly happen with a DBM rifle as well, but you don't ever hear of that happening. The only time I've ever had a friend have a problem with a hinged floor plate was with a Ruger in .458 Win Mag it would pop open under recoil. I know he sent it off to a smith to get fixed, don't know how it was done though.

I don't really know the diference, except for this.

The 700 appeared in COD4. The 770 did not. The caliber seems about the same and they are both accurate hunting rifles. If you can't pick, then toss a coin.

i pikd the 700!! yay! lol so now on 2 the nxt Q. how do i pik a proper scope 4 the rifle? i want sumthing that will let me see a target from 100 ft clear and zoom to a target about 500 ft away? got any ideas what im lookin for????? lol im so new 2 this gun thing srry dude.

Again we don't know your money situation but you need to buy the best glass you can afford. 3-9X40 is about all the scope you will need for what you are wanting to do. Look at something like the Redfield Revolution, Nikon Prostaff at the low end and work your way up from there. About any set of mounts will work I prefer the Leupold one piece base and rings, but I've used two piece Weavers before with no problems.

3-9 is the power of magnification or power of the scope. In this case it is a variable from 3 power to 9 power. 40 is the size of the objective lense. For hunting a 3-9x40 will work well. If on the other hand you will be doing a lot of target shooting at 100 to 500 I would get something with a little more power. In other words your intended use will dictate what type and power scope you will need.

As far as brands go Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, and Weaver all have a good mid priced line.

Do some reading to familiarise your self with the nomenclature and function before trying to make sense of the specs.
Dallas Jack

Last edited:
i pikd the 700!! yay! lol so now on 2 the nxt Q. how do i pik a proper scope 4 the rifle? i want sumthing that will let me see a target from 100 ft clear and zoom to a target about 500 ft away? got any ideas what im lookin for????? lol im so new 2 this gun thing srry dude.

do some research and try to figure out it's intended use. also, I wouldn't buy a scope on the cheap either. if you're going to spend $700-800 on a rifle you might as well go all out imo. I'm looking at either a Leupold VX3 or a Nikon Monarch scope, both of which have similar price points and good reviews.

700 ADL in .270 Picked up a nice used one with Leupold scope mounts already on it for $399 Looks like new. Most of my hunting guns have synthetic stocks for a reason. Remington 700 would be my choice if you intend to keep it forever. Not knocking the Savage, Marlin, or Weatherby entry level rifles.

Back