Remington 700 or Remington 770

im looking to buy a rifle, .30-06 or .308. ive decided to go with remington, i like the 700 model or the 770. But i need help deciding which is better as far as bullet choice and rifle model. I'd also like other remington rifle suggestions.

Don't waste your time with the 770 Remington and just pony up the money for a 700. You will have more options to upgrade later if you want a new trigger, optics mounts, or stock. Plus if you ever want to change out the barrel IIRC you throw away the 770 and buy a different rifle.

Now if you want a rifle to get you though a season or two until your money situation improves then look at a Stevens 200 or the Marlin XL/XS rifles. The run about the same price point as the 770 and are better rifles IMO. When you want to upgrade later you will be able to sell them for a much better price than any 770 Remington.

Cartridge choices I'd look at depends on what your intentions with the rifle are. Pretty much the .243 Win, .270 Win, .308 Win, or .30-06 are great places to start if you are talking a hunting rifle. All will handle deer sized game quite well and not break the bank to shoot. If you are talking target rifles then I'd look towards the .223 Rem and .308 Win, the .223 will be the cheaper of the two to shoot.

The 770 has a lot of plastic parts, the 700 is made of steel. Buy the best quality you can, you will never regret it.

Buy the best quality you can, you will never regret it.

Sage advice. The 770 has terrible reviews by experienced riflemen. Those who like it/don't mind it are those who shoot at the range once a year, and then go shoot a doe. It probably works fine for their application, [ie: less than 10 rounds per year] but if I were to buy an econo gun, it would be a Marlin XL7.

So between the 700 and 770, the 700 wins hands down without question.

As for .308 vs 30-06, well that's a heavily charged question. A LOT of opinions on the matter.

For simple deer hunting... pick either. If you're hunting large animals like elk or moose, I PERSONALLY would pick the 30-06. It does better with the heavier bullets.

700 easy choice. worth the extra money by far. its america's rifle enough said. i actually just bought a 700 sps dm

I am just going to tell you this. I am no rifle expert up front. I had the remington 710 combo rifle with scope that was commonly sold at walmart. After a few years the bolt would lock up after every shot. At the time it was all I could afford. The 770 is the same rifle. It is plastic, it will wear out.

I recently as in a month ago just bought a remington 700 dpm sps rifle in 30.06. Now let me tell you this, if I had purchased this rifle from the get go I would have been much better off. You can not beat the three rings of steel, no plastic. Dont make the same mistake I did. Get the 700, there is a reason that its been around before many of us were born.

If there is anyway you can get the 700, do it!!!!!

There is no comparison between the two. The 700 is far superior. The 770 is junk, a term I don't throw around lightly, but is unavoidable here.

If budget is an issue, consider a Marlin XS / XL 7 or a Stevens 200. Do not throw your money away on a 770.

Unless you get a magnum cartridge most Stevens hold 4 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. The magnums hold 3 + 1. What are you wanting to do with the rifle you choose?

remingtonmanny said:
who knows how much ammo the stevens 200 holds in the mag, +1 for the chamber

Why does it matter? I hunt exclusively with bolt actions, and I load one in the chamber with two in the magazine no matter the capacity. In my eyes, a bolt action is a single shot weapon that happens to be a little faster to reload than a "true" single shot weapon.

I'm not trying to be a weenie, but what do you want to do with this rifle? If magazine capacity is an issue, then you probably should be looking at something other than a bolt gun.

I hunt with a guy that takes fifty rounds for his bolt action rifle and a pistol with two mags every time we go. I let it go, but we're not going to get pinned down by a squad of deer supported by a heavy machine gun.

I have the 770 in .30-06, and while it shoots good groups (sub 1/2" @100 yds and 3/4" @200yds) the bolt is cheap and has a lot f play in it, and it is a little cheesy.

Stay far away from the 770... if you want something inexpensive get a Savage 110FXP3, Savage Edge, etc. Otherwise I'd say the 700 for sure!

Back