Remington 700 or CZ 550 help me pick!

they are both good rifles and would buy what feels best in your hands. My next rifle will be a CZ b/c I must have another 6.5x55 and I like the set trigger. Rem. doesn't offer the 6.5.

Rem. 6.5x55

Publius, Rem. made the classic in 6.5x55 in 1994 if you can find one you will be pleased. I am hoping they will make some in the new classic line with the stainless fluted barrel and laminated stock. So far they have produced the 30-06, .260, 257 Roberts etc. I shoot a lot of 6.5(.260 model 7 and Browning A-Bolt) and my 700 classic swede with great results. Rem. has 3 current models in .260 to choose from. doceaux

I am a gunsmith and I earn my living in the trade. I know both of these actions inside and out.
I have done repairs to Remington 721, 722 and 700 rifles for over 40 years. Bolt handles that come off, extractors that bind or break, triggers that come apart, and so on. I have repaired 3 so far this year already.

I have never had to repair ANY metal part on a CZ action. EVER! Zip. Nada. Zero! They work and they never seem to stop working.

Both shoot equally well as far as accuracy goes. The Remington is prettier in most cases, and feel a bit smoother.

To me, this is like being asked if I would rather have a 20 dollar bill or a hundred dollar bill.
Take the $100
Take the CZ

I have both a new CZ rifle and a new Remington rifle and I'd have to say that either is a good pick. The CZ will generally have nicer wood and nicer finish on the metal but it also costs more (they have nothing to compete with the cheaper SPS line). More money - you should be getting a nicer product.

As far as push feed vs. controlled feed: I've never had an issue with push feed failing to load or extract. The only extractor I've ever broken *in my life* was on a Mauser 98 (with it's big beefy claw extractor). So, I think most of the difference is hype.

As far as new Remingtons being crap - I have a new 700 SPS tactical in .308 that shoots MOA or less all day long out of the box with no mods even with the "crappy" Hogue stock. If that is a sign of a decline in quality, the older ones must truly be magical guns.

Wyosmith,

Why do you think you are seeing so many Remingtons come into your shop? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I believe you are a professional and your opinion matters much more than mine, a hobbiest. I'm just wondering if you are seeing design flaws or lack of quality workmanship/materials on the Remington's.

Last edited:
Thank you 300 Weatherby Mag, if that happened to me it would certainly sour my taste for Remington products. I think what I was trying to ask Wyosmith without sounding like I was trying to be a jerk is that with all the Remington rifles out there compared to how many CZ there are, should he not expect to see more Remingtons come into his shop? If he is seeing a quality workmanship issue, as you seem to have had twice, I want to know because it could be a deciding factor on my next firearm purchase.

Thank you 300 Weatherby Mag, if that happened to me it would certainly sour my taste for Remington products. I think what I was trying to ask Wyosmith without sounding like I was trying to be a jerk is that with all the Remington rifles out there compared to how many CZ there are, should he not expect to see more Remingtons come into his shop? If he is seeing a quality workmanship issue, as you seem to have had twice, I want to know because it could be a deciding factor on my next firearm purchase.

AllenJ,

I've actually had three Remingtons not work out of the box... The third one which I did not mention was a 20 gauge Wingmaster... It had similar issues, but most of it was parts that needed to be fitted and most that I was able to do myself... For what a Wingmaster costs, the customer should not have to do fitting work on a guns internals to make it function..

Sorry so many people have had issues with Remington firearms...

...maybe I'm just lucky.
I've never had a problem with my centerfire rifles or shotguns.
The 597 .22LR rifle has had some 'issues', but these have been addressed.

I would think the sheer number of Remington 700's would have a bearing on finding some with a problem with something.

The bolt handle falling off makes me wonder if someone, somewhere, beat it with a stick or hammer to get the bolt to move after shooting a hot load or a cartridge that had been sun-cooked in or out of the rifle.

The extractor / cir-clip has never been an issue with me or anyone I know; not that it can't happen.

Triggers coming apart sounds like somebody was messing with it.

I won't bash other products just because I've had good 'luck' and like my Remington rifles. I don't mistreat them or monkey with them either...
I have read that other products had 'issues', too.

For the purposes of hunting and target shooting with one rifle, the 700 LTR would be a helluva choice; plus it's a good 'SHTF' rifle, if you're into that.
1 rifle. 3 purposes. Who else has one but Remington?

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm
700pltr.jpg

I would think the sheer number of Remington 700's would have a bearing on finding some with a problem with something.

Here-hear!

The number of examples of CZ vs Rem. is lopsided by a large margin, hence more opportunities for an individual shop to see problems in that larger group. I think that the use of each may be a factor as well. Remington markets more and has been around for a long time, so the average Joe may buy more of such a recognizable brand. The CZ brand is known more by the experienced, and the more refined shooter, so the way it is shot, cleaned, treated in the field, and other care issues may come into play.

The other option is Remington rifles actually ARE of a lesser quality today. CZ has always been a tough, reliable rifle, and I have personally seen many Pro hunters in Africa carrying the Brno rifles. Then again, that may be an European thing as well in Africa. The cost of the rifles play into it of course, and the action types is probably a big thing for most Pro African hunters/guides.

The Military and Police sniper teams have loved, and used Remington rifles for a long time! This speaks volumes to me about the Remington!

Back