Remington 700 long range scope help !!!

I have to agree on the Nightforce base and rings. Also a bubble level for the nightforce rings. If threaded barrel try apa muzzle brake or a can. . Lot of recoil sitting at the bench for long periods of time.

Shooting 150 rounds of 308 toward the end of the day with the one that has not pad starts to hurt. Mostly mid loads.

No small person either.

I use a slip on pad on that one. Keeps it consistent for the whole shoot.

Pressure into your should makes significant difference in POI.

I am short on experience and medium on book learning. I think OP's quest for 3000 yards with .300 Win mag is questionable. I recently acquired a LH Rem 700 in .300 H&H and I used it for my first foray at 1000 yards. The rifle has a featherweight barrel and a laminate stock. It is unmodified and the only thing I did to it was verify the torque on the action screws.

I mounted a Leupold 3.5-10 X 40mm scope with Leupold bases and rings. I modified the bases to give me 20 minutes down. It was no problem to be on target at 100 yards and with 24 minutes up, and I was on target at 1000 yards.

I do not have a muzzle brake. I was shooting prone with a bipod. I used a Past Recoil Shield and recoil was not an issue. I shot 50 rounds and was more sore from not having shot prone for 25 years than anything caused by recoil. As a side note, one 20 round string in 10 minutes did not cause a POI shift despite heating up the barrel.

Back