Remington 700 Classic in .257 Roberts

my bobs are Remington 722,s, one a very early one and the other a very late one. both like 100gr and 117 gr bullets.

@flash-hole: I don't think the dies would be interchangeable. If I recall correctly, the original Roberts version had a different shoulder angle. This difference would only apply to the rifles from Ned Roberts or those from Griffin & Howe in the 1930's. I've never even seen pictures of those rifles, and so I think the chance of running into one are pretty small.
Huh? The 722s were 257 Roberts. Why would a 700 (the newer version of that rifle) be chambered for the superseded chambering?

I think 257 Remington Roberts and 257 Roberts are the same thing.

The thing Roberts originally did was different but was a custom rifle wildcat thing prior to Remington picking it up.

We’ve had great results with that Hornady 117 SST factory load.

Last edited:
I had the 700 Classic for years. My son has it now along with several nice shotguns and dozens of hand tools. I mounted a Leupold fixed 6 power heavy reticle FX6 scope. My load of 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunter bullet and a near max charge of IMR4350 has accounted for many deer and hogs It has also bagged a turkey with a 100 grain Nosler Partition. That was a little overkill.

Congrats!! Let us know how it shoots and what you load in it!
Okay Texas finally dried up enough for me to get out to the range. Reloaded numerous rounds. And the winner is:
Varget – 38.5 gr – COAL 2.775 - Sierra 90 gr BTHP
They literally punched through the same hole at 100 yds. I was really tickled. Did not seem to like the heavier .25 caliber bullets. Going to take it out on opening day next Saturday.

Back