Remington 700 Base for Precision Rifle

Well I have combed a over a dozen gun shops around North Alabama in the last few weeks looking for an older Remington 700 in .308.

I have found zero. That is none in any version of the model 700 rifle. The owners have the same answer every time "People don't get rid of that rifle". Plenty of other makes out there.

In fact I only found even one new 700 in 308, a brand new Tactical with a 16" threaded barrel at a tempting price. I did not go to any big box stores.

Well I can tell you Bill that it is not limited to Alabama. :) Time was when they were pretty common here in NE Ohio and while I keep looking the fine older Remington 700 guns seem scarce.

Ron

I would recommend a short action. HOWEVER, none of people with far more experience than mine have mentioned this. Perhaps the action length is not an important consideration for a precision rifle with a very high quality custom barrel.

If you go with a long acrion, then those extra long 308 bullets will run in the mag. Extra long 308 bullets? Those are the ones you load up that only have 0.010" between the o-give and rifling. I'm running 175g SMKs 2.261 from o-give to case head. Puts them 0.010" off lands in my chamber, but they are 0.025" too long for my short action mag. Some mititary units use long actions for 308 sniper platforms just for that reason. I have a 700 in 308 with a Muller Works DMMR barrel. They just became available to purchase. Mine was one of the barrels in the R&D project. It will produce 1/4" @ 300 yrds. I"m an old guy. I've done it once @ 100 yrds. Just don't breath & squeeze good enough any more. The DMMR barrels will also take the pressurs. I can run 175 SMKs & 165g SGKs at 300 Win mag IVs (2950-3050) with no case extraction issues. (LC 7.62 cases) Did that as part of the R&D process. Those barrels will be pricy, but very high quality.

Back