Remington 700 at Dicks

Beware......

Jesusqueen, FYI. These rifle most likely have the earlier version of the X-Mark Pro Trigger. If you do not see an adjustment screw on the trigger itself (1/16 allen screw) then it is the 2007 version which requires Remington factory authorized service center to adjust for warranty. Still a great trigger, but not user-adjustable friendly. I know this because I just purchased three of these in the last three weeks, and went through hell with Remington figuring this out!!
BTW: there are posts on this site that will assist you with adjusting this trigger.....but it will void the warranty if you ever need to send it back to Remington..

I just bought the same rifle in .308 from Dicks for $450. It is a great shooter and I would not hesitate to buy another.

I was close to getting it but when i saw it was an adl and i couldnt use the b&c medalist i was turned off. There are so many fewer options for a stock on this rifle. If anyone knows of one similar to what i want id get the rifle

The standard version of the Remington 700 sps varmint is a BDL. I bought one in .233 three years ago from Dick’s and it was a BDL. Remington has changed the stock completely since then but it is still a BDL. If the one you are looking at is an ADL it is a Dick’s only version which would explain why they are selling them for less than $500. Even if it is there are a boat load of options available to convert it to a BDL or detachable magazine either of which would make it compatible with the B&C stock. It’s a great rifle for the price.

I had one in .308 win 3 years back. Great rifle and would shoot .75 inch or less @ 100 with fed 168BTHP. The stock is cheap, but you could buy a take off HS stock off a 700 Police. People are always getting rid of those stocks for cheap. In the end you basically have a Remington 700 Police for around 700 bucks!!! I paid 850 for my 700P a year ago.

It is a dicks only version. Converting to the bdl kinda defeats the whole costs savings. Buds sells the sps varmint for 530 and no tax.

I have a VLS in .308. I bought a Bell and Carlson stock for it but it didn't fit so I traded stocks with my son's PSS. We are both happy. It is very accurate... The longest shot I have taken was a coyote at 220 yards. DRT. I also shoot 168gr BTHP's with it. I took a pig with it last year at about 150 yards. Those two shots haven't even stretched its ability at all...

So with the 700 Varmint, am I able to swap the stock, or am I very limited? Planning on picking one of these up today. Thanks

Last edited:
I know both HS Precision and Choate make aftermarket stocks for this rifle. I just haven't bought one yet. With the groups I am getting I am afraid I will screw something up.

The Remington branded scopes appear to be a Bushnell of some sort. Mine has that same heavy tube feeling of a low end Bushnell,and finger adjustments. It holds zero fine,and seems to track well so far.
I stuck mine on a 30/30 Win 94 until I can find something better.

Sorry, I confused my Remington with the Savage 308 I just picked up. The scope that comes with the Remington is usable, but I replaced mine with a Mueller APT Tactical.

Back