remington 700 advice

Well, this may not be a popular comment, but $750 is, IMO, grossly overpriced for a rifle made from drilled out bar stock, with a fused bolt, washered recoil lug, and synthetic stock.

My first centerfire magnum rifle was a MDL 700, 7MAG, that I bought in 1976. I was satisfied with it. I paid $110 dollars in a Gibson's going out of business sale. I'm not saying that they are useless or inferior, just over priced for what they are. They, the economy model, shouldn't cost any more than a Ruger American or Marlin X.

For less money you can buy a Howa/Vanguard, or Thompson Venture. These rifles receivers are machined from a solid billet, have integral recoil lugs, and a solid bolt machined handle and all from solid stock.

I'm not really bashing MDL 700's or Tikkas. They are perfectly serviceable and capable of excellent accuracy and reliability. I just feel that they are overpriced.

I have owned MDL 700s and was content with them. I sold them though, and now only own a few premium rifles ie: Weatherbys, Cooper and Rugers. I might buy it if he came down $200 though.

That price IMO is a bit high as noted by others.

Personally I have close to a dozen Rem 700 rifles with about 1/3 of them being custom built using the 700 actions.

I have not in 20years had any issues with them what so ever, however I have been there when the issue presented above has shown it's ugly head twice. Both times I was within 10' of the muzzle blast and it was not a nice experience either time.

That said all of the rifles I have based on the 700 action are tack drivers. I would have no issue picking up another one, and in fact am considering one at this time for a project rifle. It is a brand new one priced below $400. It isn't a fancy one by any stretch but I am simply looking at using the long action for the project anyway.

I use mine for hunting and as such if needed I usually also will glass bed and free float the barrels. I simply don't like the little pressure point that Remington insist on putting in their factory stocks. I work up my own loads for each and when done they usually deliver 1/2 or less MOA accuracy out to 300yds or better.

While checking the zero on it, this is a fouling shot after cleaning (low intentionally), and a two shot group I fired at 250yds with my 25yr old 25-06. It is a stock rifle with the only change made by me installing a Fajen laminate stock. It isn't even glass bedded. We had a stiff crosswind and the rifle is actually zeroed at 200yds. (The 250yrd was simply where we had the target set up to zero my 7mm STW at.)
attachment.php

Most do not feel this is representative of what the rifle will do, but it has been doing this for the whole time I have had it, so I feel no need to waste ammo or barrel on more shots just to satisfy someone else. If it doesn't group like this with the loads I usually shoot I start looking at the scope not the rifle. All of the 700's I have will hold this level of accuracy with my handloads. I can't say how they shoot with factory as I don't use it.

Attachments

• 25-06 250yds.jpg
    25-06 250yds.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,391
I am a Remington fan, my favorite deer rifle being a 700 BDL DM in .300 Win. Mag. It is
the most accurate rifle that I have ever used - very impressive as a 200+ yard gun.

However, I have never liked the design of the safety. I have never had any problems with it in 13 years of use but I viewed it as a low point of an otherwise great rifle. I'm going to investigate the Gentry safety and I appreciate all of the information in this and earlier threads.

To the original question, $750 is a high price for that rifle and scope setup. Taken separately, I would say $500 for the rifle and $100 for the scope, so about $600 for the package.

Edit: Just realized the rifle is laminate.

Last edited:
Why does everyone give the Remington 700 trigger such a bad rep? Every firearms manufacturer with a short amount of creep on very rare occasion has discharges when the safety is flipped off. I think Remington has more of them because they have sold more rifles than anyone else. I personally have never had it happen on a Remington 700. I have personally had it happen one time each on three different Winchester Mod 70's. The 700 has had them happen, but its by no means a problem unique to the 700. I killed a nice buck with my .264 Win a few years ago when I flipped the safety off. Never had to pull the trigger. Sear gets out of adjustment and stuff happens. Rifles should be maintained. Most people who had the malfunctions with the 700 have a trigger group that was modified or neglected. Its not a perfect design, but its no more dangerous than most of the other designs of that era.

Back