Remington 700 6.5x55

doceaux

Just got a new toy and need some loads for a Remington 700 Classic in 6.5 Swede. Any pet loads appreciated. I'm thinking about mounting a VXIII 3.5x10x40 or VXII 3x9x40. It came with a Leupold rifleman 3x9x40 that I'm putting on a .22. Your thoughts on the scope are appreciated. Thanks Doceaux

The classic load is a 140 grain bullet and 45 grains of Reloader 22, That's the load I use in my Remington 6.5x55, it's deadly. Every 6.5x55 swede I have experiance with, and that's more than a few, shot that load well.

Congratulations

A fine, and very hard to find, rifle. Wish more domestic makers offered decent swedes in their lineups.

Great round, as far as the scope use what ever your budget allows. Both are good scopes and will serve you well on your Swede. Enjoy!

I'm thinking about mounting a VXIII 3.5x10x40 or VXII 3x9x40. It came with a Leupold rifleman 3x9x40 that I'm putting on a .22. Your thoughts on the scope are appreciated.

A big game scope on a .22 often causes problems. Lock that scope down on a spot 50 yards away and move your eye around. The cross hairs will likely appear to move. That's paralax, most big game scopes are paralax set at 150 yards. That apparent movement will be the error in your shots. Leupold's are known for excessive paralax at short ranges, they set theirs at 150 yards.

I would recommend the Sightron SII 3-9 X 42 Black Matte, Hunter Holdover Reticle, SII39X42HHR, Rifle Scope. That's one dang fine scope.

http://www.arcadian-sales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=AS/PROD/Sightron_SII/SII39X42HHR_20017

Rem. 700 in 6.5x55:

:) Excellent choice of calibers (my favorite). First of all, the model 700 is very accurate out of the box (in most any caliber). But the 6.5 Swede is a super choice for most game you will be hunting. That round has great B.C. qualities.

I have a Blaser R93 in 6.5x55 and it is my most used and #1 choice for deer hunting, period. I would definitely purchase some nice glass for your new gun. You can't ever have too good a scope for a hunting rifle. Example: Swarovski, Kahles, are excellent choices (especially for low light situations).

I have a Schmidt Bender on mine but it costs me an arm and a leg, (probably spent too much on it but I just love it's light gathering ability). At minimum, I would suggest you get something like a Leupold Vari-X III in 3x9x40. In my humble opinion, spending more on your scope might really pay off one day and again, you can never go wrong with buying a better scope.... Good luck.

yep ,45 grains of R22 over a 140 grain Nosler partition . a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 would be a great scope for your rifle.:D

I made mine a project. In its original bedding, the barrel was touching the barrel channel. Groups had lateral dispersion. I opened the barrel channel, free floated the barrel and bedded the action. As this was the first M700 I bedded, I decided to use Devcon and cast Devcon pillars. This turned out to be much easier than using aluminum pillars.

After casting the front and rear pillars, only the front needed a lot of wood removal. Routed around that and poured more Devcon to fill out the void.
Considering this is a lightweight factory barrel, it shoots well.

I only developed a load that was a little faster than factory.

Buy the best scope you can afford. I have a Leupold 1X4 on mine.

Code:
[SIZE="3"]
M700  22" Barrel 

140 gr Hornday Spire Point 43.0 grs AA4350	
	R-P new brass CCI-200 OAL 2.990"	

2 Feb 2008 T = 52 °F			

Ave Vel =	2512			 
Std Dev =	27			 
ES =	72			 
High =	2547			 
Low =	2475			 
N =	5			

143  gr Swedish Ball 1986 headstamp	

2 Feb 2008 T = 54 °F			

Ave Vel =	2470			
Std Dev =	18			
ES =	48			
High =	2491			
Low =	2443			
N =	5[/SIZE]

PillarsbeforeroutingDSCN8708.jpg

ReducedBarrelChannelrelievedDSCN870.jpg

GoodpictureofroutedfrontpillarDSCN8.jpg

M70065X55fulllength.jpg

Reduced140Hornady43AA4350t2.jpg

Before Bedding
ReducedBGlass140SMK391AA2700.jpg

Mine's in a Tikka T3 Hunter.
I use it primarily for Whitetail. I shoot 125 gr Nosler partition with a hot load of h380, and fed 210 primers. I'm over book, but book loads are for older model 96's. It's chrony'd at over 2900 fps, and shoots moa or better. Great load for my gun.

6.5x55 is superb

I have a M94 Swedish Mauser. I started out with 100gr bullets, and groups were about 6MOA. 120s improved to about 4MOA. 130s gave me 2.5MOA. 140s shoot like a target rifle. I finally figured it out when I discovered my barrel has about a 1-7.5" twist rate. Just fill 'em up with up to 51 gr of H4831 and seat your bullet. Those Swedes were onto something good!

I have never met a 6.5x55 Swede owner who wanted to sell his gun.

I have never met a 6.5x55 Swede owner who wanted to sell his gun.

I was thinking about it cuz I needed some $$$, so I took it out with the 16 year old son and we ended up keeping her!:cool:

I just finished my first deer season with a Ruger M77 MkII in 6.5x55 Swede. I wouldn't sell mine for love nor money. This is going to be the rifle I shoot more than any of my other centerfire rifles in .22-250 Remington, .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, & 300 Winchester Short Magnum.

My custom 6.5x55 served me well for 25 years as my deer rifle and never failed me !
Today there's a bit of confusion.Factory loads have been reduced due to old guns .With a modern rifle you should be able to get 2750-2850 fps and be within safe limits with the 140 which I think is the best bullet for deer.
Understand there are now TWO sets of dimensions. American chambers, cases are based on the 308 case while the European are based on the larger original case .The latest European dimensions are called 6.5x55SE.
My old load is 46 gr 4350 with 140 bullet giving 2750 fps with no pressure signs .Very accurate and effective without the muzzle blast and recoil of the magnums !!!!
Old guns should have lesser loads especially the 100+ year olds.:)

so this brings up a question i had about the 6.5x55. i am thinking of building one but i had my dad look in his reloading books and the case dimensions listed listed the base size as being about .005 or so bigger than the standard .308 size. this had me concerned about getting a bolt to work. have the American 6.5x55 changed so as to accept a standard bolt face size?? If so that might breathe new life into this project. Sorry for the high jack.

Love it!

6.5x55 is probably the most under-rated cartridge available in the U.S. today. Between Jack O'Connor convincing everybody that the .270 Winchester was a "magic" cartridge, and the "versatile .243 Winchester, it is often dismissed although it has the attributes of both of those cartridges...
:rolleyes:

The 6.5X55 reciol is pretty mild as it is a low pressure round. Chuck Hawks has a published recoil table on his site. According to his tables it is between the .243 Win and .270 Win mentioned above.

Back