Remington 600

Remington response :
Remington Support
Service Ticket Response

Dear Sir,
There is no recall on the firearm you have. There is a bolt lock safety on that firearm (which means you cannot raise the bolt with it on safe) but it is not a recalled item.
Thank you

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services

I'll just leave as is for now. Thanks for your replys

" I looked at the Timney trigger and it could be an option but not sure I want to invest $200 in this rifle."

Midway has it for $125. It is a fairly simple replacement job.

Thanks math teacher....that may be a project for another day.
The existing factory trigger is not terrible, a touch over 5lbs and breaks clean
which is ok for what I use it for(my kids and guests) Won't win a bench
rest contest but it will shoot and honest 3" group at 200 yards at sight in.

Wow, 24 posts and not one mentioning the Remington model 600/660 trigger modification program. Remington in fact did issue a recall for rifles made prior to Feb '75. Check your barrel codes to see your rifle's date of mfg. Remington issued the recall in '79. If yours went through the program the left side of the trigger itself will have the letter "V" stamped on it. If it does not have that and it falls within the correct date of mfg. then you can still send the rifle back to Remington and have the modification done for free, less shipping costs. Here is a link to their bulletin: https://www.remington.com/support/safety-center/safety-modification-program/remington-model-600-660
So, to reiterate, there was a recall on certain rifles, (read the bulletin thoroughly) and also a modification program, not a recall. If you decide to save the time, money and hassle of sendi g the rifle to Remington to alter the bolt lift issue, it can be done at home in about fifteen minutes.

Attachments

• 600 trigger.jpg
    600 trigger.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
And secondly, the Remington trigger is easily adjustable to a sweet 2 lb pull with zero creep or let off. Two screws are easily adjusted to achieve an excellent trigger pull. The 600 trigger is if not the same as the 700 darn close to it. Here is a link to instructions. It's a fifteen minute job that a seven year old can safely perform.
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/crisp.html

Getting rid of the locked bolt in the safe position is truly about a fifteen minute job. Take a look at the stamped steel bottom end of the safety arm and give its function five minutes worth of thought and you'll see the little nub you need to file off so that you can cycle the bolt with the safety in the on position. I have done these mods to three different 600s and have sent many hundreds of rounds down range over the last twenty years. Just some food for thought. The Rem 600 is a sweet little rifle, built years ahead of its time. Trigger can be made as good as any aftermatket Timney, and the safety issue is a solution looking for a problem IMO. I'm sure Gump would have had something to say about safety and what's between a man's ears...........
Here is my current .308 Win Remmy 600 Scout config in Bansner stock, Pachmayr pad, Ching sling, XS Scout tube, Burris scout scope, and Heritage steel floorplate. The rifle weighs 6.0lbs, and shoots lights out. Have added an NECG ramped front sight and changed out Burris to Leupy since this pic was taken. And pay attention to the fact that the 600 is also factory drilled and tapped on left side for Williams 600 receiver sight.

Attachments

• 600 scout.jpg
    600 scout.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back