Remington 600

texbow

Inactive
My wife received a Rem 600(6mm rem) from her late father.
In researching I saw there was a recall. I used this last season
for a deer rifle for my kids and it worked fine(before I knew about the
recall). Has anyone here had the recall work done? Thoughts?
is it safe to use without the recall work?

Remy 600

The Remington 600 was my first center-fire rifle I bought many, many moons ago. Mine is in .222 Remington and it still hits thumb tacks at 100 yds.

I contacted the attorneys handling this issue and was told my gun was not part of the recall.

As I understand it, you can either choose to have a new trigger assembly installed by Remington or receive a credit from them to be used in their online store. Obviously, your particular model 600 may or may not be part of the recall.

Good little cartridge for those younger deer hunters.
My friend has a 600 and his does have a trigger problem but as often as he has fired his 6mm over the years I can see why its trigger went bad. (lots of use) Sometimes his rifle works fine. Other times when cycling his 600 upon closing & locking into battery his unexpectedly fires.

I told him Rem has a call back for such model and will fix for free but he chooses to case his instead. I told him quite sometime ago I would get him a Timney replacement and he could reimburse me what I paid for it. To date. Never gave me permission to buy. So the 6mm sit closeted. He has another rifle to use. Weatherby 257 Mag Belgian made. A heavy rifle the Weatherby {scoped} 257 is when compared to his little 600-6mm.

Thanks for the feedback. I've got an email into Remington and I'll see what they say. I'll shelf it til then. We've only put about 70-80 rounds plus hundreds of dry fires and never had it go off except when triggers was pulled with safety off. I looked at the Timney trigger and it could be an option but not sure I want to invest $200 in this rifle.

If you decide to buy a Timney. Buy factory direct as Timney will pre-set the trigger pull at whatever poundage their customer wants >no additional charge. 2-1/2 lb pull is what I had my Timney pre-set for. (Rem 700 270 Mtn rifle) trigger job turned out so nice. I immediately bought a second to install in my 700 25-06.

I installed both triggers. Rat tail file small ball peen hammer and my pocket knife were the only tools I required for both installs.
Both triggers were a piece a cake to install with the directions sent by Timney.

is it safe to use without the recall work?

It is as safe as you (the person handling the gun) are.

The 600 uses essentially the same trigger as the 700, the one Remington got sued over. The main problem is that if it gets gummed up from debris, or old oil etc, it can stick, and if does, and the trigger gets pulled with the safety on, it fires when the safety gets taken off, without the trigger being pulled again.

The other part of the problem is that the trigger is adjustable, and can easily be tinkered with to the point where it is unsafe. And once you move the adjustment screws, they can. sometimes, over time, "adjust" themselves, unless you lock them in place with a proper sealant.

My first deer rifle was a Remington 600 in .308 Win. I tinkered with it, extensively, including the trigger, years before Remington issued a recall. I never sent mine in, but that's just me.

I still have that rifle, and 600s in .222Rem, 6mm Rem, and .350 Rem Mag. Also a Mohawk 600 in .243 win. Fine guns, for what they are. I love them.

Take a close look at the floorplate of your 600. It should NOT be bowed in any way. If it is, it means someone took the action out of the stock and did not put it back together correctly. The mag box is sheet metal, and split at the rear. It needs to be squeezed together at the rear, then inserted into the action (best done with the action upside down), and then the stock CAREFULLY installed, if you bump the mag box, it can pop down a little bit, and it opens a little bit at the back, so it can't be pushed back into its correct position without squeezing it together at the rear. If it gets stuck "down" (it will still work ok), but it sticks down too far for the floorplate to fit properly, and the tightening the screws won't force it back into its proper place, it just bends the plastic floorplate.

IF you rifle has a bent floorplate, there's no telling what else the undereducated previous owner did to it, and it should be thoroughly checked.

The 600s are light and easy to carry, and accurate enough for their intended use (hunting), but are often disappointing off the bench. 5 shot groups are NOT the 600's strong suit.

Good luck with yours. I've had good luck with mine.

I've owned my Remington 660 for many decades. I had the warranty work completed back in the 1970's and had the stock glass bedded by the same smith. Accuracy is amazing with FEDERAL 150 grain soft tip ammo. This .308 is a keeper!

Jack

Nice little carbines, as mentioned, essentially a restyled and shortened model 700. Remington also used that action,(single shot though) to make the XP series of hand rifles. I personally thought they were butt ugly in every regard but for many, beauty is as beauty does and the ones I know of were all fine shooters. The 600s and Mohawks were replaced by the model 7, you may know, with a more conventional looking bolt, stock and no plastic bottom.

Save your 6mm Rem brass, it's sometimes hard to come by.

The 600s and Mohawks were replaced by the model 7, you may know, with a more conventional looking bolt, stock and no plastic bottom.

Sorry, but you're off by a generation of rifles.

The model 600 & 660 was replaced by the Remington 788 not the model 7. The 788 is a rear locking bolt action using a detachable box magazine.

The 788 was later replaced by the Model 7, which went back to the front locking 700 style action.

I have a Remington 600 carbine, it has a plastic floorplate that has bowed over time, because it's plastic not because of incorrect installation. I am installing a Timney trigger/safety unit and have bought an EGW weaver rail instead of the old Redfield/Leupold mounts made for them. I also bought an aluminum aftermarket floorplate. It's a .243 Winchester....I love it....now!

How much was the floor plate? Mine functions fine with the warped plastic but it would be nice to clean it up. Thanks

Sorry, but you're off by a generation of rifles.

The model 600 & 660 was replaced by the Remington 788 not the model 7.

I don't know 44amp, Wiki says the 600,660 & Mohawks were made from 64 to 79. 788s are said to have run from 67 until 83. Both available for most of the same time period, that doesn't sound like replacement to me. the Model Sevens came out in `83 when both the Mohawk and the 788 were dropped.

You can perhaps ding me on some details, I just glanced at Wiki, didn't do a thorough research of Remington's archives, but I think my statement was more right than wrong.

From personal first first hand knowledge. On a defective gun -the defect was, with a loaded rifle, one in the chamber, if you applied the safety the gun would fire .You didn't have to touch the trigger, jiggle the safety, if you, pushed the safety on the rifle would discharge, and you can take that to the bank.

Last edited:
From personal first first hand knowledge. On a defective gun -the defect was, with a loaded rifle, one in the chamber, if you applied the safety the gun would fire .You didn't have to touch the trigger, jiggle the safety, if you, pushed the safety on the rifle would discharge, and you can take that to the bank.
You had a rather different and rare kind of defect. Most people complained that the rifle went off when it was taken off (not on) safety.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wiki says the 600,660 & Mohawks were made from 64 to 79. 788s are said to have run from 67 until 83. Both available for most of the same time period, that doesn't sound like replacement to me.

I believe that this is one of those cases where Wiki is "sort of" right, or your reading of it is. It's the "and Mohawks" part that is probably causing the confusion.

The 600 was Remington's "budget" rifle. The 700 was the premier gun.
The 600 series were good guns, but they turned out to be "not budget enough", and Remington did replace them with the 788.

After the 788 came out, the 600s & 660s under the REMINGTON name, were dropped. The 788 was the new budget gun, and so it was advertised. Remington, however, continued to produce (small numbers) of the 600 under the Mohawk brand name. They were a "catalog item" meaning you could order and get one, but they weren't advertised or promoted in any real way. All that went to the new 788.

Mohawks were made in .243 and .308, not in any of the other calibers the Remington 600 was produced in. No Mohawks in .222, .223, 6mm, or either of the magnum calibers (6.5mm & .350). The .308 seem pretty rare, I've never seen one, every Mohawk I've ever seen has been a .243.

SO, yes, if you include the Mohawk the 600 action rifles were in production together with the 788, but all the Remington named 600s series went away with the introduction of the 788 (other than the XP-100 pistols, which use the 600 action, but are really a different matter)

As I understand it, the main point has to do with carbines more so than budget rifles. I believe all 600s,660s, and Mohawk 660s were carbines. Not so 788s. It looks to me like the only 788s that were carbines were produced at the end of their run. If the small tidbit of info on Wiki is correct, then you are correct, there was a couple of years between the end of Mohawk production and the beginning of model 7 production where the 788s were offered as a carbine.

All of the Remington bolt guns made from 1946-2006 except the 788 use the same trigger. Under the right conditions the firing pin will drop with no trigger pull.

You had a rather different and rare kind of defect. Most people complained that the rifle went off when it was taken off (not on) safety.

The most common issue is that as the gun is being handled the sear releases the firing pin. When this happens the guns safety is the only thing holding back the firing pin. Move the safety to the "FIRE" position and the firing pin drops. If there is a round in the chamber it discharges.

But the firing pin can drop at any time. It is fairly common for this to happen when the bolt is just touched while attempting to eject a loaded round. Although I've never heard of one doing it when moving from "FIRE" to "SAFE", there is no reason to doubt it. The same issue is causing it to happen. The real problem is the use of a trigger connector which doesn't always work properly. Remington engineers drew up plans for a trigger without the connector in 1946 to correct a problem they knew about then.

If it were my rifle I'd invest in an aftermarket trigger. In fact that is exactly what I did after my 1974 production rifle malfunctioned for the 2nd time, Seems like I paid about $120 for a Timney. It is a 30 min. DIY project the 1st time. I could do it in 10-15 min. now. The factory triggers aren't that great and turn around times to get one back from Remington is quite a while.

The problem is very real although some want to deny it. It is also relatively rare. Remington's own estimates are that about 1% of all rifles ever made will actually do this. Not a lot, but with almost 8 million rifles manufactured since 1946 1% is still a lot of rifles. Most people have never seen, or even known of anyone that had it happen. But at the same time 100% of these rifles COULD do this. It isn't a manufacturing defect where only some rifles are affected. It is a design flaw, and if conditions are just right any of these guns will discharge.

My rifle was 20+ years old before I ever witnessed this. It was at some point in the 1990's. I don't recall the exact year. It did it 2-3 times while unloaded and stopped as suddenly as it started. I dismissed it and continued to use the rifle until it did exactly the same thing in 2015. Only 2-3 times and once again the rifle was unloaded. I'll be passing that gun down to one of my grand kids some day. I decided it was time to fix it before it happened a 3rd time with one of the grand kids. If I were you I'd highly recommend the same.

The most common issue is that as the gun is being handled the sear releases the firing pin. When this happens the guns safety is the only thing holding back the firing pin. Move the safety to the "FIRE" position and the firing pin drops. If there is a round in the chamber it discharges.

I'm afraid that's not how it works. The safety blocks the secondary sear, which holds back the striker. The safety is never in direct contact with the striker.

The connector is crucial to the success of Remington 700. They filed a patent on it. In other words, without it there wouldn't be Remington 700. There could a linkage part to block the trigger when the safety is on, so that the trigger cannot be pulled when the rifle is on safe. That's the part that they decided not to retro fit into the product.

Another unfortunate design feature is the 2-position safety, that the bolt can only be opened on "fire".

The design works till the action is worn, improperly worked on, or not properly maintained. That's true for any guns.

-TL

Back