Remington 5mm Magnum

The 5mm is a fantastic round. Personally, I have always thought that Remington didn't put as much effort into the rifles as they should have given the capabilities of the cartridge.

The cartridge has long been a bit of a cult favorite and seems to have a new following as well when ammo is available. It is important to note that a centerfire conversion has been available for many years too, so even if you can't get rimfire ammo you can always handload. With the 204 becoming so popular, it has drastically increased the bullet offerings for those handloading the 5mm too.

Jim Watson,

Yes, they are 3D printed from Nylon. Very durable and in my opinion far better than the original. Of course, they are my design so I'm a little biased, but I have also been shooting a 591 with the OEM mag for many years so I am very familiar with it's characteristics.

As far as a mag for the 22's...I have that magazine developed as well for the 541's and 581's! I'm picking up prototypes today that I hope to be the final revision that will go into production. :)

You're Welcome, I would be interested in something chambered in that round. I like what I see online. But sadly after a trip to GB I can't pay what they want for the rifle. But hey you guys keep it up and maybe it will become more popular and Savage will make a MKII in 5mm. ;)

There are options...

I have a 591, 592 and a T/C G2 Contender. The T/C has a barrel that was made by Eagle View in WA. I love all three! :)

A buddy and I are also working on a 5mm conversion for a very solid, off the shelf rifle that is readily available. That's a bit longer term of a project, but stay tuned! :D

That's one of the catch 22's of the internet...you can find just about anything you want, but so can anyone else. That tends to drive the price up on things that were once very reasonably priced. When I bought my 591, I paid $150 for the gun with a scope and a box of original Remington ammo.

I had both the 591 and the 592, sold the 591 and kept the592.
They are sweet little rifles.
I would like to see a loading for them like the original 38 gr load Remington made.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Agreed! I love the 592! Hopefully the new mags will make shooting the 591 a bit more enjoyable as well!

Make sure to tell Aguila how you feel about needing/wanting ammo! They have a dedicated email address for people to chime in on it!

5mm@aguilaammo.com

5mm rimfire mag

As commented earlier, I've had a 591 since their introduction back in the 70's.

Remington discontinuing the ammo when they did certainly doomed the cartridge and the rifles, but the real death blow was far earlier, when other manufacturers failed to produce firearms so chambered. Back in the day, I'd read somewhere that T/C may have made barrels for their single shot pistol, and perhaps Kimber was considering it, but I don't know that it ever happened.

Contrast that with the happenings when the 17HMR hit the scene. EVERYBODY started cranking out rifles AND revolvers, and the cartridge took the rimfire world by storm. Still happening too, as now we have a new .17 HMR semi-rifle. The poor 5mm was not so blessed.

Aguilla offered 5mm ammo in a standard, somewhat blunt HP slug, and a sleeker, pointy Varmint" HP as well. I've shot enough now to conclude, in my rifle, that the initial Aguilla offering of the somewhat blunt HP slug is more accurate than the alternative "Varmint" HP. I cannot see any difference in the accuracy or reliability of the standard Aguilla vs what the rifle would do when new with Remington factory ammo. I do not have the numbers in front of me, but the Aquilla std HP is faster than the original Rem ammo, just as it is advertised. It should be, as the import ammo has a lighter slug by about 8 grains.

But...what really smokes is the newer still Aguilla "Varmint" load, a pointy looking HP that resembles a match HP, at least in appearance. It is not as accurate (again in my rifle) as the standard HP, but man, it is flat. Zeroed "on" at 100, it comes in about 2" low at 200. Change the zero at 100 a bit, and one would have an honest 200 yd rifle out to 200 yds by simple holding on. And I may well do that. I should really chrono some of that Varmint ammo. I would not be surprised that it is running close to or over 2400 fps.

I picked up one of those A17's for sage rats this year. It is a hoot!

The 5mm is more devastating, but that semi is a fun way to burn hundreds of dollars in ammo! ;)

Interesting, didn't know much about it until I saw this thread. After a quick Google search it seems the 5mm out performs the 17hmr and the 22WMR at 100 yards. Wonder why the little round lost so much steam with performance numbers like that and the 17hmr took off. I hunt Coyotes at night with a 17hmr only because I HAVE to use a rimfire at night. Well let's just say I'm not all that impressed with it's 100 yard performance on a Yote. It leaves me wanting to go .17WSM.
o.png

Ya...personally, I wouldn't like the 17 for coyotes at that range either. Not enough bullet weight in my opinion. I can't speak to the WSM as I don't know much about them.

If you don't need quick follow up shots, a T/C in 5mm would be a good option. Otherwise any of the bolt guns in it would be great too.

If you're a handloader, the 5mm is pretty versatile with the Craig centerfire conversion (also offered by Schroeder) as the bullet is a .204 caliber and there are tons of bullets available these days. And...you still have the low sound report of a rimfire!

I hunt Coyotes at night with a 17hmr only because I HAVE to use a rimfire at night.

During our firearms deer season I have to use a rimfire to hunt coyotes, that's when my 5mm comes into play.
However I still prefer the original 38gr HP Remington load over the 30gr Aguilla load.
Don't try to make a 17 out of the 5mm just give me back what the 5mm was in it's original form, fast and deadly.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Back