remington .41 derringer

Do you mean variation vs issue? This designations were probably made before I was born I just go with what is commonly accepted by collectors of these pieces. Even the Blue Book and Flayderman's differ on the terminology. The Type's were based on the company's owner, E. Remington, Remington Arms, and Remington UMC, that makes sense I guess. The Model is markings significantly different and forced when the maker changed.
Type I From the sides (with 3 variations)
Manufactured by ... This is the first 200 where Remington actually made them for Elliot and hadn't purchased the rights to (only 24 known to exist). The rest of the serials up to about 2,000 didn't have the manufactured by. Somewhere late in the game but not by serial I guess just what was on the shelf left or maybe sent back I believe all however after 1600 and there's also not a heck of a lot of them out there, they cut in ejector which of course cut in to the patent information. I assume that's why they went to the two-line address on the top (still 1st type 2nd model).
From then on it was one line on top.
Anyhow for changes in each Type you can see that the hinges kept getting larger and larger which is of course the weak spot and something you need to always check if buying one. There is also changes in the mechanism that controls the firing pin and spring. I don't remember off-hand exactly when changes were made, I'm not sure if this is even in a book or I would just have to go take some apart.
As for other visible changes, other then hinge size, and roll stamp the III type 5th Model nicknamed a mono-block there is no rib.
Here is a picture, they made 500 of this model, this is actually the only one known to exist in original nickel the majority of type III's are blue (look black) this is also the last serial no known to exist.
main.php

Remington .41 Derringer

Hello to David Fagan;

I too have a Remington Derringer in .41 cal. and it has the exact same lettering as the fourth one down in your terrific photo of the six top straps. Mine is in blue and is in what we would call excellent condition. The blueing is (I belive), original, but with black plastic grips that have a Franzite "silver" medallion in them. There is also a flying eagle with what appears to be a shield on the medallion.

If anyone could give me an idea of this Derringer's worth it would be most appreciated.
derringer1.jpg
medallion.jpg

I've heard they go anywhere from a badly broken one at $500.00 right on up to excellent condition for $2700.00 is this true or was someone writing a web site full of misinformation.

Many thanks for any information. Oh, and the number stamped under the grips on the right side of the piece is 668

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I have one of these also. I inherited it. I will post pics soon. It has very dirty bores but the hinge is good. Nickel is above average, at least I think so. Plastic grips have hunk busted off. I am glad I saw this thread.

Here is mine after closer exam of the pictures I believe mine has a cracked hinge. Hard to see with the naked eye (sucks getting old). Any and all thoughts are welcomed!

Attachments

• DSC01347.jpg
    DSC01347.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 613
  • DSC01353.jpg
    DSC01353.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC01355.jpg
    DSC01355.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 511
Values are GREATLY determined by condition, condition, and condition in addition to scarcity / rarity or a model / variation. Without knowing the condition and which exact model/variation you have it's simply not possible. For example a brown type I model I "manufactured by" (1st variation) is worth 5G+ a brown (what you see in the picture tops) 2nd type 3rd model is probably only worth about 500.

Elmer Keith made several references to this little gun in his books and stated that it had a lot of respect in the Old West, though not for the power of its cartridge. He also stated that the company that was the first to produce reproduction Single Action Army revolvers (Great Western?) was going to also produce these little derringers. That would have been over 50 years ago now. Any idea if any of them were ever made?

Derringer Color

Powermwt,

Did you ever find out any more about your derringer. I have one that was passed down from my grandfather and has the same color. Yours is the only other one that I have seen the same color. I will include pics of mine at it is in pristine condition for its age and I don't think the other posts about it being anything other than original are true. Please update me if you have any further information.

Thanks,
Robert

edit

edit

edit

edit

edit

edit

Attachments

• 20131214_115430.jpg
    20131214_115430.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20131214_115757.jpg
    20131214_115757.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20131214_120049.jpg
    20131214_120049.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 90
It is plum colored because it is made of iron { not carbon steel }and has been polished and reblued . Iron takes a special process to be blued. just ask someone who has blued a Winchester 94.

Sometimes cast takes on that hue. I've had a couple of revolvers that I know weren't reblued that turned plum.

BlueTrain said:
Elmer Keith made several references to this little gun in his books and stated that it had a lot of respect in the Old West, though not for the power of its cartridge.
He also stated that the company that was the first to produce reproduction Single Action Army revolvers (Great Western?) was going to also produce these little derringers.
That would have been over 50 years ago now.
Any idea if any of them were ever made?

Great Western (1953-64) made 3500 deringers in the buyers choice of either .38S&W or .38S&W Special (not interchangeable) before they closed their doors in 1964.
There has reportedly been one (1) experimental model in .22WRM documented.

pop_wm_4749290.jpg

Here is mine after closer exam of the pictures I believe mine has a cracked hinge.

The hinge definitely looks to be cracked, and the lower barrel also appears to have running cracks on both sides.

Are you saying my plum HK P7 is cast iron ?? :rolleyes:

Those little guns were dangerous not because of a powerful cartridge but because if infection. No antibotics in the old days.

mete said:
Are you saying my plum HK P7 is cast iron ??

FWIW, There's a LOT of Rugers out there with plum-colored rifle receivers & Sa revolver frames, too.

Similarly to gunz like the Remington Double Derringer with iron frames, the Ruger (and most likely the Glock's) plum color is a result of the type of steel alloy used, combined with the maker's bluing process, which causes a reaction over the years (not immediately).

114490279.jpg

Here's a discourse on the subject: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=127768

The "plum" color is usually caused by the alloy metal (often nickel or chrome) but also can be the result of the bluing used and its freshness. Ruger's "plum" guns certainly were not cast iron, and Ruger's engineers went nuts trying to come up with a bluing process that would "blue" those guns.

On those derringers, the hinge cracking is probably due to the common practice of "flipping" the gun open, not from firing it. Nonetheless, a cracked hinge (and the hinge on that last gun is cracked) will reduce the value.

Many of the problems with modern center fire double derringers comes from the greater distance the firing pin has to move from the center of one primer to the center of the other. In the originals the firing pin had to move only a short distance, from the top of one rimfire round to the bottom of the other.

Jim

FWIW, There's a LOT of Rugers out there with plum-colored rifle receivers & Sa revolver frames, too.

Ruger frames/receivers are cast steel. not forged. That's why they turn plum. I think the amount of sunlight they get has something to do with it.

Back