Remington 244 can is stabilize 100 gr bullets

coyota1

I am looking at a Remington 722 in 244 caliber. I know it is a slower twist than the 6mm Remington, but I am curious if anybody has tried to stabilized 100 gr 6mm bullets. Remington changed the head stamp from 244 to 6mm and changed the twist to 1 in 10 from 1 in 12. Any input would be appreciated.

I've got a 9.25 twist barrel and it shoots 100 grain bullets very effectively. It won't stabilize those long 107 grain Sierra Matchkings, but it is very accurate with 100 grain bullets.

The only way you're going to know for sure is to try it.

The only way you're going to know for sure is to try it

The problem is I would have to buy it to try it. I love varmint rifles, but I would like to hunt white tails with it also, and the 90 gr seems a bit too small.

I just have never hunted dear with a 6mm before, so the bullet weights sound a bit small for deer. I have killed deer with 30 06 170 gr, and 12 ga slugs, and they go down hard sometimes, but never with a small bullet. If a deer runs off 100 yards in Michigan, it can seem like a mile.

The Greenhill formula, with a few exceptions, is pretty accurate for determining bullets for rifle twist rates.

392686968_TByn2-O.jpg

C

Nosler Partitions come in 85 gr in 6mm, so you can take a deer with it. But I sincerely doubt that you will be able to shoot 100 grainers, nobody could back in the 1950s so I doubt you can today.

But I sincerely doubt that you will be able to shoot 100 grainers, nobody could back in the 1950s so I doubt you can today.

Well, I was told I couldn't stabilize 70 gr in a 1 in 12 223 rifle and I got 1.2 inch groups. Apples to oranges maybe, But I was hopping maybe a flat base ballistic tip might.

Well, I was told I couldn't stabilize 70 gr in a 1 in 12 223 rifle and I got 1.2 inch groups. Apples to oranges maybe, But I was hopping maybe a flat base ballistic tip might.

I would try the 85gr. Sierra Game Kings. Many people use this as a go to deer bullet in .243Win and it has a chance of being stable in that barrel.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

Even if the gun is unable to shoot 100 grain bullets there are lots of quaility hunting bullets made. As stated above Nosler Partition, Barnes makes both 80 and 85 grain bullets, and Berger makes 87 and 95's. All are more than capable of taking deer sized game if you do your part. I would not let your concern stop me from buying the rifle if you really like it.

Even if the gun is unable to shoot 100 grain bullets there are lots of quaility hunting bullets made. As stated above Nosler Partition, Barnes makes both 80 and 85 grain bullets, and Berger makes 87 and 95's. All are more than capable of taking deer sized game if you do your part.

Yes, the construction of the bullet is the key. I just want enough hydrostatic shock to drop a deer. I have done my share of tracking deer into the thicket and swamp, and all to often we gave up search. Either it went on to someone's land, or it bedded down and died.

.244 will probably shoot the 85 gr. just fine, and that's more than adequate for whitetail. The 6mm really is better for launching the 105 gr.

I just want enough hydrostatic shock to drop a deer.

I doubt you'll get a pat answer to that. There is no "DRT" cartridge/bullet combo for hunting out there that I am aware of. Given you situation I would not hesitate to get the 6mm but limit my shots to head/neck.

So my statement was pretty much correct?

I have done this before with a 223 fmj. It's legal here btw. A deer head isn't too small to shoot. Good heavens, I hunt squirrel with head shots. The bulk of Michigan deer hunters in my opinion are not practiced enough to make a shot like this. They go big and aim for the brisket.

Well Davy get yourself a bigger musket!!:eek::cool: .244 aye, I have a .243 that has a 1in 9.25 barrel that shoots three 100 grain Sierra Gamekings into little clover leafs,,,, and that bullet does "nasty" proud!;)

I just want enough hydrostatic shock to drop a deer
There are no guarantees when it comes to hydro-static shock even when shooting 30 caliber magnums. Now the 6mm Remington is a good deer round not something I consider bang-flop medicine.

My old, departed BIL killed a couple of truckloads of deer with a Win88 in 243, shooting 100gr Powerpoints. For the 12" twist of the 244, Nosler Partitions in 85gr persuasion.

Back