Remington 1100 will hold 3 Estate Shells, but only 2 Winchester Shells

Purchased an old Remington 1100 shotgun from an old friend - it was her father's. Took it to a smith to check it out and see it was safe to fire.

Took it to shoot today, and had 2 brands of ammo - Estate and Winchester.

The gun would allow me to load 3 of the Estate shells into the magazine, and I shot about 20 with no problem. When I turned to the Winchester, it would only allow 2 to be fully loaded. A 3rd shell would go most of the way in, but not quite enough to allow the carrier to return to it's closed position.

I assumed all 2.75" shells would be created equal, but I guess not. I wanted to go back and try to load some of the Estate to see if I could still load 3 of those - but I had already shot them all.

I'm not terribly shotgun literate - is it common for different brands to vary in length enough to make a difference like this?

Thanks for the replies. Both boxes said 2.75" and when I held up spent shells they certainly appeared about the same size.

I'll check out the plug, thanks.

2 3/4" is the length AFTER it is fired and the crimp is open. Before firing they actually vary quite a bit between 2 1/4" and 2 1/2". The plug may need to be "tuned" a little to get it to accept all 3 shells if they are on the long side.

Just be aware that a 3" shell is actually closer to 2 3/4" before firing it. It will fit in a 2 3/4" chamber and will fire if the trigger is pulled. The extra length of the chamber is there to allow for the crimp to unfold. When you put a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber the crimp has no place but the barrel to unfold and it will drive up pressures. Maybe enough for the barrel to come apart.

A 3 1/2" shell will fit and fire in a 3" chamber as well. Be sure of what you have before shooting.

Without a plug (often a hardwood dowel) and with no dents or damage to the magazine tube the 1100 should hold 5 2 3/4" shells.

A plug limiting magazine capacity to two shells, meaning the gun can only hold three (total) is there to meet US Federal law for hunting migratory waterfowl.

I have no idea why it will take 3 of the other brand and only 2 Winchester shells.

Somebody may have modified the plug, also. I have used pencils, sticks, and even a cornstalk once for a friend on an emergency basis. Game wardens take it very seriously and I have seen them confiscate an unplugged gun.

i would be curious to see what the difference is

maybe you could put 3 estate shells end to end and measure the length of them and do the same with the winchester,,,,just to see if there is a difference

if the estate shells just barely went in and the winchester shells are a 1/16 longer then there could be 3/16 difference,,,that would keep them out,,,and the pug as mentioned would need trimmed some

at least you would know if that is the problem or if it is something else you need to look for or at

ocharry

Don't trim the plug. I should be a little longer so only 2 of any shell will go in. 44 Amp explains it well.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies.

As I do not hunt, the plug isn't necessary. Unfortunately, at the range yesterday I didn't put any shells side by side until I had already shot the Estate shells, which didn't make for a good comparison, haha (as mentioned, I shot thru the Estate, then started w/ the Winchester).

I've made some efforts to remove the plug, but not successful so far, and haven't found a YT tutorial (yet) for doing this on the 1100. No rush, though.

Thanks again.

Naturally, as soon as I say I can't find info/video on the plug, I vary my keywords in a YT search and the first one I come to shows me exactly how.

Just a soft metal 'cap' with a hole in the center that can easily be pried out. Removed the plug with the greatest of ease, pressed the spring back in and re-capped.

Took a photo of 3 brands of 2.75" shells I currently have to note the size difference (again, I no longer have any more Estate). Left to right they are Federal 4 shot, Winchester 9 shot, and Hornady 00 buck. There's a little more height difference between the Winchester and Hornady than the photo shows (Hornady a bit shorter). So the plug was of a length that allowed some brands to load 3 shells, others 2 shells.

eZVzszSVLEwYSlkbgDvUvawxGGSOm73uAzrtaE73of42xe2FlMiwkYbuCIjGHOjpw_L1OzqIMRGsietF3BLaM9LBJ8RYRlPvV9vkdHFVuAB-Agy5KwcOc9PX9b7QkdxT0UAAt9lwQlY7Mm305XUoXJ350y6SUHL082NH-2MY7h8wru6If2n8N0qwqJZe4Cz7dJIYOarbVRvBcoLxgxBiKmUDY5qDN8ujHGhf_3AxlhyDsmci9dfJavIbO5TtpVYQ9HDZ5w5IWT-NXXcbl_lk7gwsX_nToV2pdoaXjc0WP9FaUhEEuuljaEoiYFs4gqGMDnTyfBAATv3Uxt1aForCGBaeZKPMmKk56gLLn9FfO73Evk3TydTLUc38JTfoQlVAySrBnp5kUVT17re3ux4UoJ4cHIiJqD0wWivDuKphkg2Rw68P7wMryc_QFneM3PK8SCmCOKBUnCCYA6JCtldSVy2zOaOF8-hiKrpJy7omRxjyOy950qeXm9jaxrCtXaxIq7SQOsFDOX3PMAYcjlqp5QD-weQ4EYeMUcLuMj9H0KU5qGWTn7hOxmCCY-okoFZS0ywp_b7MsBMUFvlmmFc978d4D77TwWcQAVxHlwWYzOlbyl_Vwn67GjbsKCxq374PBmyno1U9k4-Uc6JbiV-K57-uhNnFFVP3qsCb0yTH2jFvmyVus7IvbdUqI_38dw=w683-h910-no

aw1DE-MZRi1bSaFFSXL4O-OfTms93ycUS0n4Y8HSkNnITTmrSvYBESMAlP5-yKk9NLEPeJbPcYxxkeI4CiMHCqWJcL6NHJgHUSBbfHBmlWA8v1XbA5eHD4dbVAr2eb03vMgitmQ8G2YIBUlg4Heao07GCNfUK7o7idcQ0lb6uJXIXsPDavMuGnOSuPE-DRzjhJlt2WaezMT4AeIvy_wtSgmhJ_idLKLxuGdZ2hSYPFMteLGjSd1FcmFnuOEaLL8W53qpawo-2y5OenyXBVL9VkxjroV3OHIR8bSsIRnS9tGTMBrIshXHWajvXKkfWR0OqQlhL_xAYAGKno0BS4Xdkgp_20RYvl_1MNPD1VxqpMVu0LE-_xT745YaOOvMGbLuw8CByMRbjbJVjhp4Rc8DYHKvyiGjRlCR6ApVkpLFBcH6KtSdCxMG82QW4_0VRG8-R08USVXoR9s16lUqrtlkAaLTKx9lkhv6mBRo53U87407g9dAX6-C6I0BTyHqn76S5WYLHMPOscnP7XudKMlLnu9gguXEfp_Mu_b2jPb7PG3pAtjeU3RUhK6nCN8v4dkI5dA4mcXShtCFiMA0I6H-L_aBgFmcFW5BKLznTbWm3uMtBp10YPgy2jAvbK1_iTF_PDC1CAD7NtdMRA9f_F7IPqIeWCZqO27VpDkmWDBCEKYn0Jl1KzEmow4IasD6ag=w683-h910-no

the plug is too long. you cant get a fine if say 1/2 the (over the limit) shell goes in. as long as it wont allow the illegal limit to feed all the way in and be carried. that's the way I understand it.

No need to butcher the plug. If it is a rather new Remington it probably has a plastic (green) plug in it. Just take a mill file and take off 1/8 and the 3rd round will go in-it sound like.

Go slow and round the plug to the same shape it is now..
Taking the plug out will help you figure out how the gun works. If you need help, or not, check youtube and see who has instructions to do what you want to do. id bet it is there, w/ several videos.
There will be vids as to how to remove/install plugs..

Just take a mill file and take off 1/8 and the 3rd round will go in-it sound like.

what would be the point of doing that??

Remove the plug and you'll have full mag capacity. (usually 5 but 4 rnd models exist as do long tube models holding up to 8 shells)

The plug is there to ensure the gun is legal for migratory waterfowl, where the Fed rule is 3 rounds, two in the tube, one in the chamber.

The plug is easy to remove, deliberately, so it can be removed for non-waterfowl uses.

Back