Reman vs New

If I were shooting upwards of 500 rounds per month (like the OP), I'd reload. With that said, I don't shoot that much. :( Right now, sgammo has 1k rounds of 124 grain Blazer Brass for $182.80 before taxes and shipping. Shipping is $16. Now I'm not an expert on the economics of reloading, but I'm going to guess that price would be tough to beat if you're buying remanufactured. Maybe not so much if you're doing it yourself.

I have been reloading ever since I began shooting in earnest. My girl friends used to give me reloading equipment for Christmas or birthdays. I have stock answers to two often asked questions:

1. Do you save a lot of money by reloading?

A. No, but I shoot a lot more for the same amount of money.

2. Can you load as good a cartridge as factory?

A. I can't load a better cartridge than I can buy, but I can't buy a better
cartridge than I can reload.

I've had minimal experience with re-manufactured ammunition, some was real good, some was real bad. When I want a cartridge I know I can depend upon, I load it myself.

Bob Wright

When buying other people's ammo, it's a must to know them personally.
I've bought reloaded ammo from a company that only made target grade stuff.
And it was, fairly light loads and very accurate.
Perfect for range practice.
Sadly they are no longer in business.
Otherwise, I load my own exclusively, or buy factory new.
Sometimes, it's good to splurge and go first class.
Anything else could be a gamble.

I like Freedom Ammo too, but I only bought their new ammo ($199/1000 free shipping).
I also buy from SGammo and Targetsports. I always buy bulk and as long as I get a case of new name brand brass for $200 buying reloads or wolf isn't worth it to me.

Last edited:
There are really only two places I'd get reloads from:
1) A reloader that I personally know and trust; and
2) A company big enough that I trust it to have liability insurance in an amount large enough to cover my damages if something goes wrong.

That rules out the proverbial "Ziploc Bag O' Reloads" from mystery reloaders at the gun show.

I buy tons of remanufactured ammo and have no issues with it. As long as you're buying from a reputable manufacture, it's a win/win.

I don't buy any steel cased russian stuff.

Doc, I have purchased factory "remanufactured" ammo twice. Two different companies at two different times. One non-Magnum cartridge was loaded way too hot, the other, a Magnum cartridge, loaded way too light. A company was trying for dept. business and provided some jacketed ball ammo for us to test. Ruined a Glock barrel. We were looking for new training ammo because the "remanufactured" training ammo we'd been using Ka-Boomed in a Glock, and caused malfunctions in SIGs and HK MP-5s. I have no experience with Russian ammo, other than 7.62X39. That seemed to work fine in a Ruger bolt gun.

Last edited:
I'm a reloader...so I don't buy hardly any ammo / but a lot of my buddies search the cheapest stuff out all the time...and they have good and bad experiences with a lot of different outlets.

I am very confident in my own reloads...my procedures...quality control, etc....but out of all the guys I know that reload...way too many of them do not use very good controls. Just look at some of the questions on the reloading site on this forum...it can get a little scary on what folks think is acceptable.

In general, there can be issues with re-man ammo....and while some of it alledgedly is "company re-man ammo"...in my experience it is often from a 3rd party they they hire to re-man it ( some guy in his basement often), and their contract requires the 3rd party to have commercial general liability insurance, which they rarely have - and most mfg's ignore it. To rely on insurance to help you if you have a problem ...on new ammo / or re-man ammo is probably a stretch ...because often it will come down to an investigation into circumstances and whether shooter error contributed to the accident. It might be very hard to prove it was exclusively an ammo related issue. Just because a guy has a website selling ammo...doesn't mean they have insurance - let alone good insurance. Homeowners insurance....in most states....does not give the homeowner any liability for business interests, like reloading ammo for sale - whether its profitable or he is just breaking even, does not matter.

If you are going to buy reloads...buy based on word of mouth in your area. If guys are buying enough of it ....or shooting enough of it ...and they say its ok, its probably ok. If you start having misfires, any squibs..etc...its time to find a new supplier. At the same time...every now and then new factory ammo will have issues as well.../ so to some extent its part of the hobby to unerstand and accept the risks, especially if you buy re-man ammo.

My best advice...learn how to load your own / buy ammo from businesses in your local area that have a real brick and mortar operation if you want to buy re-man ammo and pick them based on their local repuation word of mouth recommendations / or buy the least expensive factory ammo you can find in case lots...Federal white box, Blazer brass, etc...

Understand your guns warranty...many gun mfg's do not warrant a gun if you use reloads...

Last edited:
Back