Reman vs New

1-As a first time Glock owner is their any problems buying Remanufactured FMJ ammo?

2- Ditto on Wolf or Russian ammo of any kind? I was told that Russian ammo was very dirty.

I generally shoot 150 rounds each visit to the range 3 to 4 times/month As always please feel free to weighing on these questions.

TFL forum has never given me a bum answer. Go Army.

1. I've had good luck with most reman ammo I've had, but once in a while, I've had some with issues. The last ones were some 9MM I bought a long time ago, 115 gr FMJ stuff that looked great. I had 1000 rounds of it in a couple of ammo cans. Problem was, there were a few deformed cases that wouldn't feed, and out of 1000 rounds that I shot there were a half dozen or so that had no powder in them. Just a primer. I won't buy any more of it, as it's pretty dirty besides.

2. Last time I shot Wolf, it was pretty nasty stuff, and it really had an unpleasant smell. Shot fine though. Of anything I've shot recently, Perfecta is the nastiest stuff. Lots of sparks and fire out the ejection port, and a lot of crud in the guns when I'm done. I have one box of 9mm left, and I think I'm done with it.

Do you buy in bulk? I buy 1000 at a time. I go through 150-200 per visit. Buying in bulk is the only way to go.

I recently got Defender Ammo which is veteran owned out of NC. Great ammo. I'd buy more again. $210/1000

I don't use WOLF.

Perfecta from Walmart is great. It is inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think the issue is price. If you are paying $350 per 1000 for 9mm, reman is cheap at $225 or whatever. If you bought the AE that was selling for $169 per 1000 a couple weeks ago, it is not do cheap.

Used to get the Russian stuff Wolf and Tulammo filthy ammo. Also used to get reman ammo occasionally some problems though. Since I started reloading my own haven't bought any ammo.

Doc, I've shot thousands of rounds of Georgia Arms remanufactured ammo, never had a problem and it's as clean or cleaner than any other brand I've used.

I also understand that some of the Eastern-block ammo uses corrosive primers. If this is correct that's a real good reason to stay far away from that stuff.

With Blazer Brass available right around $210/1,000 these days, remanufactured ammo would need to be substantially cheaper for me to choose it.

Even with the 'big name' reman stuff, I've had issues, including a Kb'd Browning HP.

Larry

I have been buying 500 rds/each order. Haven't bought 1000 yet. So far the cost is around $0.21 to $0.22/ purchase and that's Speer Lawman 124 gr. fmj. Sometimes Magtech. Have no idea what remanufactured costs.

I've used "reman" from others, and prefer the name-brand, run of the mill store shelf sales...for practice, full jacketed brass that is acceptable at my range. Lead bullets bother me because of what they leave behind in the grooves for the rifling. I have a favorite RSO who reloads for me, and know his precise measurements. Know your source, and save your hollow-points for possible self protection...not for paper targets!

I've shot an awful lot of this

http://www.georgia-arms.com/9mm-luger-1/

I don't know how it works out price wise with shipping since I can pick it up at local gunshows. The factory is less than an hour away and while I'd not make a special trip I've bought directly from them when in the area.

They make good stuff in both handgun and rifle loads.

I generally shoot 150 rounds each visit to the range 3 to 4 times/month

If you're shooting 600 rds a month it's time to reload. If you buy components in bulk you should be able to get your cost down to a dime or less a round. I buy primers and bullets in units of 10k at a time loading 45ACP and shooting Zero FMJs; runs me about 17 cents per. 9mm will be cheaper, especially if you use plated bullets.

The thought of that hurts. Did they cover it?

Nathan, no, it was obtained via a police department, and making a claim would have been difficult.

Fortunately, the frame, slide and barrel weren't injured; the grips (wooden) were destroyed, with fragments driven lightly into my hand; the magazine was destroyed and blown out of the gun, and I had to work for months to overcome my shiny new flinch. :)

Larry

Doc, burrhead has it exactly right. Time to start "rolling your own". You don't have to spend a fortune on equipment. You won't need a lot of space if you don't want to. Especially if you are reloading for a minimum number of calibers. With a few common sense safety precautions it is absolutely safe. It is no more difficult than baking a batch of cookies, or making a pot of chili. Besides, reloading is a fun, and relaxing activity on it's own.

I buy a lot of Freedom Munitions new 9mm. It's only a couple of cents more per round and makes me feel safer. :rolleyes: I will buy 38spl reman though.

Re: 9mm, I noticed if you buy really cheap ammo (and those 'deals' seem to be at a gun show, it might be 2 cents / about 10% less than a repeat-business mail order place), you're going to get what you pay for. Out of 1000 rounds in one order, 5 or 6 didn't have a well seated bullet, a few had bent cases and wouldn't chamber easily, a few didn't fire on the first strike of the primer, and a some FTE'd (some of those due to case dents). Further the group seemed to have been much larger than name brand ammo from an LGS or reputable mail-order. So I figure I got what I paid for.

In the .50 BMG world, cheap reman (that's the stuff that's $3.00 and under a round) turns my .50 into a pretty long range shotgun, even on a bench rest.

Summary: The problem with reman is the QC does not seem to be anywhere near as good as a firstline manufacturer. But most of it will shoot. Don't bet your life on it.

Back